Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NVIDIA shows technology of future rpgs

Destroid

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Lyric Suite said:
Xor said:
I'm pleased because it's this obsession with graphics and technology that's going to destroy the game industry.

Strange, because the industry was doing fine when the technological race was going full swing.

Games back then weren't 20 million dollar investments, minimum.

I doubt the majority of games cost anywhere near that to make, and the one's that do probably spend a lot of it on marketing, which you can hardly include in production costs.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Lyric Suite said:
Xor said:
I'm pleased because it's this obsession with graphics and technology that's going to destroy the game industry.

Strange, because the industry was doing fine when the technological race was going full swing.
It was because it didn't reach the point when making games was so ridiculously expensive that the costs have pushed whole genres outside the mainstream.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Destroid said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Lyric Suite said:
Xor said:

I doubt the majority of games cost anywhere near that to make, and the one's that do probably spend a lot of it on marketing, which you can hardly include in production costs.

http://games.ign.com/articles/708/708972p1.html

This article is 4 years old.

The most important component, however not necessarily the most costly, of publishing a game is the handling of its development. According to a non-scientific poll of publishers, the costs of developing games for the next-generation of consoles such as Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 is estimated to be roughly $10 million as compared to $3-$5 million for the Xbox, PlayStation 2 and GameCube.

$10 million, four years ago, for developement costs alone. That's not counting licensing, marketing, distribution, etc.

Glancing at the google search results, there are estimates as high as $26 million per title on average. So yeah.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Destroid said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Lyric Suite said:
Xor said:

No, that's the average.

Big games cost significantly more, killzone 2 was in the 30-40 million EURO park.

GT5, rumored to be 60 million dollars.

GTA 4, 100 million.

MW2 50 million, another 150 in marketing.

APB 100 million, sold 10k copies at retail in the US, tanked a large part of the scottish games industry. :lol:

L4D 2 had 25 million sunk into advertising.

To put it in context, John romero has said that daikatana after years of delays actually made eidos money.

MetalCraze

Arcane
MW 50 millions (bar retarded sum on advertising)?! Did they spend them on whores and booze? Cuz it looks like cheap polish b-class shooter and is what, 5 hours long?

Xi

Arcane
I welcome our technologically advanced future and hope to plug an epic grade HDMI cable into the back of my skull in the near future. We can't win this fight. Graphics sell in the same way sex sells. Might as well just accept this fate and move on.

There will, no doubt, be some interesting games to come out of the next wave of generational progress. Even if it is elementary and mildly retarded in many ways, it will probably be worth a few bucks to just try it out and enjoy the shit eating smile that ensues.

After all, holo-decks, neuronal matrix's, and virtual reality systems are the wet dream you have while, well... while you're already having a wet dream. Let us embrace our technological futures!

Let us join the brainless masses so that we no longer care. The fight begins and ends... now!

attackfighter

Magister
starcraft 2 cost 100 million to make and it has very shitty graphics

you'd think games with good graphics would cost even more!

Xi

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
So how OnLive is doing

Estimates put cloud gaming services at almost half a billion dollars by 2014. The current cycle offers little reason to jump to the service. However, once new consoles come out, analysts expect these services to take off. So it's doing pretty good.

Lyric Suite said:
Xi said:
Graphics sell

Then explain consoles. Graphics have declined the same way gameplay has declined.

If you look at marketing science, you'd realize that graphics sell. Period. End of discussion.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah so now we have to wait 4 years not 2 months to see how awesome OnLive really is? :lol:
(considering what happens right now - it may not live past the following year)

Xi said:
If you look at marketing science, you'd realize that graphics sell. Period. End of discussion.

CoD has one of the cheapest and shittiest graphics on the market these days. Yet this shit sell millions.

Graphics don't sell games. Marketing sells games.
Telling dumb retarded sheeple that this game will make them look cool and all cool people play cuz it's totally cool 24/7 - is all you need
Herp Derp

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Xi said:
MetalCraze said:
So how OnLive is doing
Estimates put cloud gaming services at almost half a billion dollars by 2014. The current cycle offers little reason to jump to the service. However, once new consoles come out, analysts expect these services to take off. So it's doing pretty good.
Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. All power to OnHoaxOnLive.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Xi said:
MetalCraze said:
So how OnLive is doing

Lyric Suite said:
Xi said:
Graphics sell

Then explain consoles. Graphics have declined the same way gameplay has declined.

I see you're still as deluded as ever. :thumbsup:

Drakron

Arcane
praetor said:
didn't (doesn't?) The New Repubic cost more to make than Avatar?

EA Louse said the cost is at 300 million, I suspect it meant "current at" that is going up as marketing did not even started.

Also its not really "new" tech development that is rising the cost, adding voiced sound files to NPC is hardly new as far tech goes.

And that is kinda the problem, most of the "new" tech is old tech, 3D been around for a very long time and even if we factor developing costs you still have stop gaps, 3D still requires special glasses as it did with Creature from the Black Lagoon back in 1954 so the stop gap have not been closed, Sony is ridding on it now because Blu-Ray is not the next DVD in terms of success and they need something, its completely idiotic to sell 3DTV when we have yet to fully transition to HDTV and yet, here they are ... trying to sell us a freaking +2000$ TV with this economical climate, not that only Sony doing that (Avatar 3D Blu-Ray is a Panasonic exclusive deal).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom