Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN casting familiar

izzay

Novice
hi. Please no flames OMG NWN SUXLOL...my gf and I are looking to play a RPG together and thought this one might be fun. So she created a wizard, and her familiar is always a bat. She tried to make different characters with different alignments, and she always gets a fucking bat...what decides this for the game? did they just cheap out and only allow you to get a bat familiar? anyone know about this?

Section8

Cipher
On the plus side, I think the game allows you to change your familiar when you level up, so if she's made any progress she shouldn't have to start over.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hahaha. NWN is the most complex game ever. It's too complicated to choose a familiar! Hahahahahaha!

izzay

Novice
settle goons, settle. I know NWN has so many cuts from D&D it isn't even funny, but I decided instead of bombarding her with rules and exceptions with something that actually follows suit with D&D, like BG2, I'd start her out on something abit easier, more action orientated, ect. I figured out the familiar thing. It was a stupid layout at character creation to have to go back and customize once your character is made, to add feats, starting spells, ect.. I don't know how she bypassed all of that and overlooked the familiar thing, but I think you can just hit the "play" button and the game just assumes you want the reccommended defaults, and starts the campaign. so yes..NWNSUXLOL.

but hey, it's fun in a really geeky kind of way to play an RPG with my girlfriend beside eachother.

Section8

Cipher
It's certainly not a word you hear around the Codex often. I'm not sure what it means either. Maybe PR Pete, the man with all the answers will make a reappearance and give us the facts. <hopes desperately>

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
if you are thinking to eventually introduce her to D@D than do the following:

break up the char sheets bit by bit (roll stats, class,(tell her what the hp she starts with for it and the basic summary of the class)
skills, misc crap(speed, init) spells,feats
and have her either roll her gold or copy the starting package(yes it is cruel)and put two blank sheets of printer paper behind the two pages of the char sheet(for when she reads books that increase her skills for certain situations)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I decided instead of bombarding her with rules and exceptions with something that actually follows suit with D&D, like BG2"

NWN is a lot closer to D&D than BG2 was. And, BG2 is just as 'action oriented'.

In conclusion, if your girlfriend na't even select a familair properly she shouldn't be playing any D&D game except POR2. That games automatically makes 99% of choices for you. <>

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Volourn said:
"I decided instead of bombarding her with rules and exceptions with something that actually follows suit with D&D, like BG2"

In conclusion, if your girlfriend na't even select a familair properly she shouldn't be playing any D&D game except POR2. That games automatically makes 99% of choices for you. <>
*gives Volourn a cookie and some cash for being intelligent without being bitter or angry or painfully sarcastic*

izzay

Novice
Volourn said:

lol, it was a matter of overlooking one area, and she had the highest GPA in her entire high school, and was just accepted on the spot to a top art university, so I'm pretty sure she could handle anything an RPG can throw at her without TOO much difficulty... We all know how intelligent and godly one has to be to play video games.. Also, I'm really not trying to make an arguement as to what game is more similar to a bunch of nerds rolling dice, I'm moreso looking for something fun to do with her during the evenings (aside from the usual stuff). But hey, she likes morrowind, so she must be a fucking retard right..

and by "action orientated" I meant less menus, modifiers and micromanagment, more story continuation/interaction.

AlanC9

Liturgist
izzay said:
It was a stupid layout at character creation to have to go back and customize once your character is made, to add feats, starting spells, ect.. I don't know how she bypassed all of that and overlooked the familiar thing, but I think you can just hit the "play" button and the game just assumes you want the reccommended defaults, and starts the campaign.

Actually, the Play button doesn't activate until you've done every step in character generation. But Familiars are hidden behind the "Customize Packages" interface, so you don't get a chance to pick one if you take one of the default packages unmodified.

ToEEs chargen screens handled this better, since all possible steps were visible every time. If a class didn't have a feature, you skipped a step

izzay

Novice
AlanC9 said:
izzay said:
It was a stupid layout at character creation to have to go back and customize once your character is made, to add feats, starting spells, ect.. I don't know how she bypassed all of that and overlooked the familiar thing, but I think you can just hit the "play" button and the game just assumes you want the reccommended defaults, and starts the campaign.

Actually, the Play button doesn't activate until you've done every step in character generation. But Familiars are hidden behind the "Customize Packages" interface, so you don't get a chance to pick one if you take one of the default packages unmodified.

ToEEs chargen screens handled this better, since all possible steps were visible every time. If a class didn't have a feature, you skipped a step

yeah, thats what happened. I guess because she chose the general mage class it didn't automatically go into the custom screens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom