Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 Mod - Starting Level Poll

Ideal Starting Level?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
What is the ideal starting level for a mod? I was thinking in the 3-5 range so the chars will not get wiped out right away but are not to powerful.

What say you?

Murk

Arcane
I voted 5, allows for the caster classes to have an actual function past blowing their entire load after 1 fight and lets you build up a party that can be described in more ways than just "plucky".

Still low enough to get raped by non-epic confrontations but has a bit of punch if they need to take on something like a bug bear war party or warren of undead.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'd say 4, but I'll vote 5, since 4 is NOT PRESENT, ASSHOLE.

level 4 is pretty much the moment when a critical hit for 5 damage doesn't instagib you, and it's still before the fireball madness, which shouldn't be available right from the start.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Darth Roxor said:
I'd say 4, but I'll vote 5, since 4 is NOT PRESENT, ASSHOLE.

level 4 is pretty much the moment when a critical hit for 5 damage doesn't instagib you, and it's still before the fireball madness, which shouldn't be available right from the start.
I don't intend to allow mages/sorcerers/warlocks to be selectable classes. I also don't intend to have them as companions in the first part of the mod.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
oldmanpaco said:
I don't intend to allow mages/sorcerers/warlocks to be selectable classes. I also don't intend to have them as companions in the first part of the mod.
I was tempted to just post :retarded: for a second, but I suspect there is a good reason you want to do this. Are you thinking of a low-magic (or outright no-magic) setting, or is it something else? I play nothing but spellcasters in games like NWN so not being able to pick one is a serious drawback for me unless there's a solid justification.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I plan to limit arcane casters. I think that arcane classes are massively overpowered in this rule-set. I'm undecided about divine casters.

I'm planning on very low magic where arcane casters will primarily be enemies. I have a story vision that will bring a sorcerer into the party (at a lower player lvl than the PC).

This seems like a topic for yet another poll thread.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So far with 36 votes the weighted average is 2.8.

I know the OC had you at lvl 3 after the prelude. Who remembers what level were you in BG after CK?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
oldmanpaco said:
So far with 36 votes the weighted average is 2.8.

I know the OC had you at lvl 3 after the prelude. Who remembers what level were you in BG after CK?

Last time I played BG was ages ago, but I'm pretty sure you can't even get level 2 in Candlekeep.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Level 3 just to avoid REALLY annoying deaths due to one hits.

BTW if You intend to disallow arcane spellcasters make sure to design encounters with the usage of warrior abilities in mind - otherwise You get point-and-die kind of game.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Malakal said:
Level 3 just to avoid REALLY annoying deaths due to one hits.

BTW if You intend to disallow arcane spellcasters make sure to design encounters with the usage of warrior abilities in mind - otherwise You get point-and-die kind of game.

I had thought of that. People play arcane casters because they generally have the most options during combat. The OCs method of resting also encourages spamming spells during every combat. Limited resting makes all non-arcane characters more useful. Warriors need to hold the line, divine casters need to save spells to heal the fighters, and rouges need to try to do rouge like stuff.

I’m also looking at tweaking different resistances (slashing/blunt/piercing) based on armor type. That way there is more to picking your feats/weapons/armor than just what does the most damage or what has the highest AC.

Cassidy

Arcane
oldmanpaco said:
I’m also looking at tweaking different resistances (slashing/blunt/piercing) based on armor type. That way there is more to picking your feats/weapons/armor than just what does the most damage or what has the highest AC.

That's something I always thought about and I like the concept behind it as a partial replacement for Armor Class. For one, soft armor like leather armor would be good against blunt weapons but poor against slashing and piercing ones, while full plates and chain mails would be quite effective against slashing weapons, but weak against blunt weapons. Likewise, if crossbows had an AC penetration bonus(actually true because they were more powerful than bows for piercing armor) they'd be far more useful.

The only thing I'm not really sure is whether giving specific AC bonuses/penalties for piercing/slashing/etc is better than DR to make combat more interesting or not.

visions

Arcane
oldmanpaco said:

Candlekeep? Level one. I typically got to level 2 around Nashkel.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Rageing Atheist said:
oldmanpaco said:

Candlekeep? Level one. I typically got to level 2 around Nashkel.

That would explain why I remember dying all the time at the beginning.

Anyway after 49 votes the weighted average is 2.9. This fits with the story pretty well.

To be honest I'm surprised so many people voted lvl 1. If you start with an lvl 1 char you pretty much need to tell the farm boy/orphan/naive teenager story. And those suck.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
DramaticPopcorn said:
Lvl 3 is always a way to go.

About Armor Class and Damage Reduction: I think DA got it right and it is pretty easy to implement such system in NWN2 just by editing item properties.

Looks like lvl 3 is the sweet spot.

Item manipulation to adjust damage resistances is going to play a large part of the tactical side. If the story is going to revolve around an arcane character class elemental resistances, either item based or natural, are also going to have to come into play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom