Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 OC was not bad as people make it out

Cael

Arcane
maaan fuck this game, the more I try to fix it the more it crashes(on area transitions only), lilura your mod guide sucks :D Last I finished the game like 7 years ago or something without any crashes and without any mods...ffs, now I like some mods but don't know which ones are the culprits...
What kind of mods are you using. If you know how the 2da thing works, it is easier to just mod the game yourself to add in abilities to classes or change class/race parameters.

Only fixes and gfx mods and ai & ui. all from lilura's guide.

Well, I see your problem right there...

On a more serious note: There is no reason to use fixes or gfx type mods. They tend to mess things up. If you want to install mods, either use mods that add to content or change certain rules that you want changed (the latter is easier to just do yourself, though).

Quillon

Arcane
I persevered and am at around after AJ's Heaven... the game up to this point is snorefest, now things are getting interesting. Surprised how much I've forgot about the game. Tho its refreshing to play an RPG where nearly everything is main quest, I'm fed up with "world-building" side quests being overwhelmingly dominant content of today's RPGs.

I looked up how CR keep works this time, its retarded...that there is no in game explanation for it; I remember just building stuff and "organizing men" just once believing they'd continue in that setting then just going on questing, missed out on some content years ago, poor young me. But Obs tying this keep turn stuff to area transition here and quest completions in PoE ain't ideal, there has to be a better way.mp3

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
NWN2 OC had the words "the King of Shadows" in every fucking dialogue line. It had the dynamics of a swamp - literally nothing ever happened there except the constant empty talk about the King of Shadows™ and how he was the worst thing ever. Meanwhile, the King of Shadows™ laid somewhere in a blissful coma, or so it seemed because nothing ever fucking happened. Even the siege of Crossroads Keep was fake and boring.

The only somewhat memorable part was Ammon Jerro's sanctum which was completely unrelated to everything else.

"Not as bad", my ass.

Crispy's Boyfriend

Both Neverwinter Nights and its sequel - at least the main campaigns - suffered from the same problem, in that the side content was much more appealing than the main plot hooks.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I remember the game fondly. Especially that final dungeon with a cool final boss at the end. I liked that I got to play all my characters at once even though half of them weren't leveled or equipped.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just finished it.

I enjoyed it but that last dungeon can go fuck itself.

I had read so many absymal reviews that I really dreaded playing the NWN2 OC. Its reputation is a bit overdone. It never reaches at any point a level of excellence or even originality, but besides the character of Neeshka, nothing is trully terrible.

My biggest gripe was the gameplay. Playing it on normal, it's just a matter of spamming area effect spells (fireballs, meteor swarm) and not giving a shit about it. Switch to hardcore then ? Well, maybe not, considering I specialized my party in this kind of spell. So I finished it on normal.

And then, progressively, shit starts to go down. I'm not sure why I spent so much money on Crossroad Keep. It felt like the right thing to do, but what were the consequences gameplay wise ?

And then the bugs.
During the attack on the courtyard, the Shadow Reaver wouldn't die, even with reading the truenames. Googled it. Yup. Bug. Used a console command to kill it.
And then my party members refused to follow. "Issue command". Sure, now, they're following, but 30 meters behind me.
And then that final dungeon. That, fucking final dungeon.

They made you pretty much depend on the Rest mechanic on the entirety of the game, which is a retarded mechanic. Yes, resplenish my HP and Spells after each fight automatically please, since it's what I'm doing anyway. And now they take it away. A good idea for a challenge ? No, just annoying, considering you have to depend on healing kits scattered randomly and not in sufficient numbers. Fuck you.

Still, I managed to make it up to a point, despite the somehow more and more erratical behaviour of my companions who seemed completely puzzle by the pathfinding here, and by the absolute random encounter design which would spam enemies everywhere, anywhere, for no reason. And you cannot rest. Still, I made it.

And then, there were the three shadow reavers, the last encounter before Black Garius. Oh wow. Fuck that battle. It's at that moment where everyone in my party stopped to pretend to give a shit about what I wanted to do. Zhaeve and Amon Jerro kept self interrupting their true name recitation for NO REASON when they were not being attacked and the focus was on them. Rest of the party was doing random bullshit, AI turned on or off.

One try.
Two tries.
Five tries.
Ten tries.

DebugMode 1
dm_god .

And wait, guess what ? Even the debug mode was bugged. For some reason, the cheat codes only randomly assigned immortality to some characters and other not. The "instakill" function that I first tried because of my true name recitation issue when they were "near death" worked once, and never again.

I defeated the final boss with those cheats on and felt no pity for Neeshka, who somehow decided to act like an emo-teen "oooh you don't look at me then I will DESTROY THE WORLD". What the hell ? At least Qara was an actual bitch. And what about you Bishop ? You betray me, and then you don't ? You're the guy locked in a room with no escape during a battle between Good & Evil, and you decide to try to walk away ?

The fuck ?

I'm glad I cheated my way through that battle, because none of it made sense or looked interesting. It allowed me to go to bed before 1 AM, and see that wonderful ending. "You win, rocks fall, everybody die.".

I thought you guys were joking when I first read that.

Oh well, apparently MOTB has a better reputation.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've played through NWN2 OC 2 times and didn't have problems with bugs as far as I can remember. The Shadow Reaver fights I always thought were terrible, even though they worked correctly for me.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Pretty sure you could rest in the starting room of the final dungeon.

I read about this. This did not work for me.

I also did read that the monsters would only attack you on resting like 80% of the time, but no, they did attack me all the time.

I have no idea. Maybe it's a modern computer issue. Maybe it's because I'm running it on Linux with Proton. Who cares, by this point.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It felt like the right thing to do, but what were the consequences gameplay wise ?

It makes the big battle easier.

They made you pretty much depend on the Rest mechanic on the entirety of the game, which is a retarded mechanic. Yes, resplenish my HP and Spells after each fight automatically please, since it's what I'm doing anyway. And now they take it away. A good idea for a challenge ? No, just annoying, considering you have to depend on healing kits scattered randomly and not in sufficient numbers. Fuck you.

Should have used up all your money on consumables. :M

Erebus

Arcane
The only serious problems with MotB are related to the fact that it's the sequel to NWN 2 OC.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I'm only like one hour in MOTB and the increase in quality is absolutely jarring.

That's why i'm worried about playing Storms of Zehir and Mysteries of Westgate because from what I read, it's pretty downhill after MOTB.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm only like one hour in MOTB and the increase in quality is absolutely jarring.

That's why i'm worried about playing Storms of Zehir and Mysteries of Westgate because from what I read, it's pretty downhill after MOTB.

I've not played SOZ, but Mysteries of Westgate was pretty good I thought.

It's quite short though.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

Apples and oranges.
Both are short, simple and decent.

but besides the character of Neeshka, nothing is trully terrible.
I think you should be more concerned about an elf stalker who watched you from early childhood and now wants to fuck you. Oh wait...
1076663859_0:0:1932:1046_1000x541_80_0_0_3a22465bf3506d1ea25397ca8806c6e8.jpg
I guess french people don't care about that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

MOTB is absolute kino.
Haven't played MoW.
Played SoZ recently and, while obviously not as good as MOTB, it was enjoyable. Better than the OC for sure (and I felt much the same way as your review does toward the OC).

Max Damage

Savant
SoZ is ok, I didn't get far because living in loading screens got old very fast. It's one of few D&D vidya campaigns that acknowledge skills for long travel survival and scouting, you make full party + everyone can contribute to diplomacy. There's also sensible prevention to rest spamming, adventurers can actually die per 3.5e rules, and crafting is definite improvement.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I also liked how victory in the OC was made possible because you randomly meet a shadow reaver carrying that book with their true names.

It was such random and poorly thought that it might have very well been something that happened IRL.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Its almost as though the talent in the industry doesn't really get the credit (and the jobs) they deserve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom