Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
So what are Obsidian's projects at the moment:
-PoE
-South Park DLC (presumably)
-Shitty free to play MMORPG 1
-Shitty free to play MMORPG 2

That's it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FFS, it's been, what, four years and people are still bringing up that Wheel of Time vaporware?

That project never even started.

Martius

Liturgist
Really? I think last year I read some articles about deal which obsidian made. I had no idea it never started developing it.

Rake

Arcane
I don't care what Obsidian do, as long as they work towards the Goal: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-05-project-eternity-as-a-series-could-run-for-eternity

Chris Avellone said:
"If we had multiple isometric hardcore role-playing games going on at the same time, with the scale of Eternity, that is something I think we'd be very very happy about as a studio," he said, "because that was Black Isle."
P. much this.
Super confused. You think their making a World of Tanks clone will lead to more hardcore RPGs?

You guys are so clueless, it hurts.
Obsidian surviving will lead to the "multiple isometric RPGs in the scale of Eternity", and these shity MMOs are providing that. We will propably not going to get another AAA console game like AP and FNV from Obsidian, but who cares. Can't say i was thrilled about them anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
-PoE

That's it?
Uh huh. They say they have other stuff going on, but they always do, and recently Josh said they're still 2-3 project studio. All the big names are on Eternity anyway, and soon some of those names will ideally transfer to Kickstarter Project #2.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
We will propably not going to get another AAA console game like AP and FNV from Obsidian, but who cares. Can't say i was thrilled about them anyway.

Blame shitty publishers who deny cooperation with Obsidian to work on a new CRPG, not Obsidian itself.

Besides, better stay independent and have ~75% of your portfolio full of shitty games than getting BioEAuired and have ~100% of your portfolio full of shitty games.

Rake

Arcane
We will propably not going to get another AAA console game like AP and FNV from Obsidian, but who cares. Can't say i was thrilled about them anyway.

Blame shitty publishers who deny cooperation with Obsidian to work on a new CRPG, not Obsidian itself.

Besides, better stay independent and have ~75% of your portfolio full of shitty games than getting BioEAuired and have ~100% of your portfolio full of shitty games.
I never blamed Obsidian. And as i said i don't care about the lack of AAA. I prefer 1 PoE instead of 10 FNV, so their current transition doesn't make me mad.

Rake

Arcane
Me neither. But I can't help feel still somewhat enthused about the faint prospect of a Kotor 3 or big Fallout game from Obsidian.
I would prefer a small Fallout game from Obsidian. And Fallout is just a setting.
They could just have their next kickstarter be a Fallout spiritual successor like PoE was an IE one. There isn't even a need for post-apoc.
Just make Tim Cain the Project lead of a sci-fi game made in the spirit of the original Fallout.

KotOR2 is another matter, but Bioware shat all over that particular storyline, so i would prefer for Avellone to go nuts and made a NEW PS:T/KOTOR2 spiritual successor.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Now that I remember it, all that talk about how publishers were suddenly more interested in talking about crpgs because of Kickstarter was just the usual hot air.
I bet what happened was that smaller companies like Deep Silver and Paradox approaching them to publish their Kickstarted games, and that's about it. That's the "rekindled publisher interest".
My guess is that it went like this.

Publisher: So you guys can make a full featured RPG for 4million dollars, huh? Do that for us.
Urqhart: Well this is kind of a special case, and we get own the IP. If we make your game would we own the IP?
Publisher: GAHAHAHAHAH
Urqhart: Well I think we'll pass since we can just hit up the suckers fans on kickstarter if we want to do a 4 million dollar game

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Now that I remember it, all that talk about how publishers were suddenly more interested in talking about crpgs because of Kickstarter was just the usual hot air.
I bet what happened was that smaller companies like Deep Silver and Paradox approaching them to publish their Kickstarted games, and that's about it. That's the "rekindled publisher interest".
My guess is that it went like this.

Publisher: So you guys can make a full featured RPG for 4million dollars, huh? Do that for us.
Urqhart: Well this is kind of a special case, and we get own the IP. If we make your game would we own the IP?
Publisher: GAHAHAHAHAH
Urqhart: Well I think we'll pass since we can just hit up the suckers fans on kickstarter if we want to do a 4 million dollar game
Duraframe300 seems to have more info on this. still awaiting his response.

Duraframe300

Arcane
They were even named.
so who were they?

Tooo lazy to look. 100% sure though on big publisher.

-PoE

That's it?

Pillars of Eternity
2nd Kickstarter Preperation
Unannounced Project (Lead by Brian Heins. Might be SP DLC)
Armored Warfare
Skyforge
Several ongoing Pitches

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't care what Obsidian do, as long as they work towards the Goal: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-05-project-eternity-as-a-series-could-run-for-eternity

Chris Avellone said:
"If we had multiple isometric hardcore role-playing games going on at the same time, with the scale of Eternity, that is something I think we'd be very very happy about as a studio," he said, "because that was Black Isle."
P. much this.
Super confused. You think their making a World of Tanks clone will lead to more hardcore RPGs?

You guys are so clueless, it hurts.

Well, it does help them maintain the infrastructure to handily make Kickstarter-sized RPGs, whereas inXile has to strain itself.

Duraframe300

Arcane
That's depressing, no matter how you want to spin it.

Obsidian never had so many projects in development and was never as successfull.

It's not like we suddenly have LESS rpg's from them. So, deal with it.

I mean just compare the situation now to 2011 where Dungeon Siege III came out, South Park was announced (with EVERYONE expecting the worst, just check out the fucking SP thread) and there was no sign at all of us ever getting a crpg from Obsidian. March 2012 was another lowpoint, but we had *hope* that Obsidian would turn to Kickstarter. Still a worse situation and many expected Obsidian to fold right there.

Sorry, I prefer the situation now. Complaining about Kickstarter games made people forget how shitty the situation actually was beforehand.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Obsidian never had so many projects in development and was never as successfull.

I mean just compare the situation now to 2011 where Dungeon Siege III came out, South Park was announced (with EVERYONE expecting the worst, just check out the fucking SP thread) and there was no sign at all of us ever getting a crpg from Obsidian. March 2012 was another lowpoint, but we had *hope* that Obsidian would turn to Kickstarter. Still a worse situation and many expected Obsidian to fold right there.

Sorry, I prefer the situation now. Complaining about Kickstarter games made people forget how shitty the situation acutally was beforehand.
It's equally depressing. Obsidian can't find anyone except hopeless fans to pay for them to make an RPG despite knocking Fallout: New Vegas out of the park and being effective on DS3 and South Park.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Sorry, I prefer the situation now. Complaining about Kickstarter games made people forget how shitty the situation acutally was beforehand.
It's equally depressing. Obsidian can't find anyone except hopeless fans to pay for them to make an RPG despite knocking Fallout: New Vegas out of the park and being effective on DS3 and South Park.

We'll see. Armored Warfare was pitched because they suddenly needed another contract post-2012 March layoffs (In fact the whole process started on the same day), so they went for a surefire project rather than an rpgy one. After signing that they were fully busy.

Their next project will be more crucial in determing if they can't get a rpg project. Though that may just be my fanboy hope.

Arkeus

Arcane
South Park may give them quite a bit of cred. If they manage to make PoE a commercial success, it will be MUCH easier for them.

Xeon

Augur
They probably get offers to make RPGs but on small budgets like the Atari or Sege deal for making BG3 I think.

The only way they'll probably accept work on small budgets is them getting hold of the IP like the kickstarter or bigger royalties or something. Its probably because they have 140~ people to think about.

Duraframe300

Arcane

We'll see. Armored Warfare was pitched because they suddenly needed another contract post-2012 March layoffs (In fact the whole process started on the same day), so they went for a surefire project rather than an rpgy one. After signing that they were fully busy.

Their next project will be more crucial in determing if they can't get a rpg project. Though that may just be my fanboy hope.

Short correction Armored Warfare was apparently the second concept, but the first one was an online game as well though. So, point still stands.
Didn't quite start in March 2012. At that time, I was working with one other developer on another online game concept that we were unable to get picked up by publishers.

Deleted member 7219

I'd be happy if Obsidian were making 1 isometric RPG (Eternity), one "popamole" RPG (South Park) and one AAA CRPG (New Vegas), the problem is we only know they are making Eternity and are helping out with 2 MMOs, once Eternity is out, what will they be doing for RPGs?

Cazzeris

I'd be happy if Obsidian were making 1 isometric RPG (Eternity), one "popamole" RPG (South Park) and one AAA CRPG (New Vegas), the problem is we only know they are making Eternity and are helping out with 2 MMOs, once Eternity is out, what will they be doing for RPGs?
I suppose they'll announce a second crowdfunding project.
Feargus said something like that...

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
If their tank game is successful, hopefully expansion content for the tank game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom