Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian layoffs.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Lord Andre said:
Dance is a form of art, yes.

Also there is such a thing as esthetics of the vulgar or ugly. I could name you a great poet from my country that does that but alas you wouldn't understand the language. As it is, I will point you to Edgar Allan Poe.

In advance, since the next thing you will say is "PS:T is just highschool philosophy", I will point you to Milton's Paradise Lost that touches on a very similar topic in a very similar "highschool philosophy way".

Why is not PS:T art and Paradise Lost is ? What's the difference ? Enlighten me, if you may.

Edit: Your sunset, while a thing of great beauty, is not art because it is not man made. If you believe in religious nonsense, then a sunset is the art of God as is all creation. However that kind of "art" is not the point of our discussion.

I'm suffering Critique of Judgement PTSD.

I think I'm with Xor here. I don't think any possible outcomes of this debate will affect how I view PS:T. What does one gain by declaring it art? Vindication, maybe, and some extra point to convince people to play it. Better to stick to showing what makes it a good game in both cases.

Lord Andre

Arcane
First, I did not declare it art. I said: it is as close, as the RPG genre has ever gotten to being art.

Second, of course the debate is pointless. But this being a forum and all...

Volourn said:
"In Volly's defense, I did forget to add the "similar to" until a minute or so after I posted."

I don't need your help.

:)

Grumpy_by_kris_wilson.jpg

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Lord Andre said:
Also there is such a thing as esthetics of the vulgar or ugly. I could name you a great poet from my country that does that but alas you wouldn't understand the language. As it is, I will point you to Edgar Allan Poe.

Are you Romanian, by any chance?

I've heard that exact description used so many times in high-school for Tudor Arghezi's work that I recognise it even in other languages. :P

Lord Andre

Arcane
Reject_666_6 said:
Lord Andre said:

I've heard that exact description used so many times in high-school for Tudor Arghezi's work that I recognise it even in other languages. :P

Damn, my big mouth gave me away again. :)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So... uhm.. sucks for the Obsidian developers. :(

I'd wonder how this impacted whatever they had in development (outside of DS3) if it were not clearly off-topic at this point in the thread.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
santino27 said:
So... uhm.. sucks for the Obsidian developers. :(

I'd wonder how this impacted whatever they had in development (outside of DS3) if it were not clearly off-topic at this point in the thread.
At this point in the thread, you could paste the Wikipedia random page, and it would fit right in with the other things already discussed - let's see: Planescape, Arcanum, WoW, SC2, Korean gaming TV channels, Melissan's identity and gender, tasteful Imoen rape in Candlekeep, the definition of art, beautiful sunsets... did I miss any important bits?

Actually, I expect this doesn't affect Obsidian development much - as soon as they get a publisher willing to fund any project beside DS3, they'll hire any missing team members they need. Keeping a bunch of full-time employees working on random project ides without funding sources isn't something they can afford. Oh well.

Melissan

Educated
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Melissan said:
I don't like Bioware forums anymore. Someone has mentioned RPG Codex in one of the DA2 threads and I thought I'd check it out. How bad can it be? I saw the PST thread and thought that my opinion would be welcome, 'cause, you know, I thought that this place is different from the BW forums.
Hello Domi. Why do you think your opinion should be welcome and why it not being welcome would make this place the same as the BW forums?

Anyway, have you ever considered adding tastefully done rape to the BG1 NPC Project? Imoen rape in Candlekeep would be great. I think you could gain some Codex Cool Point that way.
I think that sharing opinions is how people learn and open their minds to something new and interesting. And you're confusing me with someone else.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Melissan said:
I don't like Bioware forums anymore.

:hmmm:

Lord Andre said:
Reject_666_6 said:
Lord Andre said:

Damn, my big mouth gave me away again. :)

Yet another Romanian peddling the same icons: Eminescu, Blaga, Arghezi, Eliade too. Talk about non-literature and we get the 'Coanda invented the jet engine' myth as well and the love for Enescu. He, he. Living in Galati so long, you learn that the average Romanian is as much a stereotype as the most base westerner.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Lord Andre said:
First, I did not declare it art. I said: it is as close, as the RPG genre has ever gotten to being art.
All good games (including good cRPGs) are art. To say that no cRPG is art, is to say that no cRPG is a good game.

Melissan said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Melissan said:
I don't like Bioware forums anymore. Someone has mentioned RPG Codex in one of the DA2 threads and I thought I'd check it out. How bad can it be? I saw the PST thread and thought that my opinion would be welcome, 'cause, you know, I thought that this place is different from the BW forums.
Hello Domi. Why do you think your opinion should be welcome and why it not being welcome would make this place the same as the BW forums?

Anyway, have you ever considered adding tastefully done rape to the BG1 NPC Project? Imoen rape in Candlekeep would be great. I think you could gain some Codex Cool Point that way.
I think that sharing opinions is how people learn and open their minds to something new and interesting.
So, you think that your opinion is something new and interesting :lol: ?
The hivemind has already heard it hundreds of times.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Lord Andre said:
First, I did not declare it art. I said: it is as close, as the RPG genre has ever gotten to being art..
yes, and then you defined art in a way that would include every piece of entertainment made.
In advance, since the next thing you will say is "PS:T is just highschool philosophy", I will point you to Milton's Paradise Lost that touches on a very similar topic in a very similar "highschool philosophy way".

Why is not PS:T art and Paradise Lost is ? What's the difference ? Enlighten me, if you may.
don't know, don't care... though i would guess that the main reason why paradise lost i considered art is that it is actual poetry, which is traditionally considered art, making it incredibly easy to be classified as such without putting much effort into it and definitely not because of its punk rebellion thematic.
philosophy is not art.
is not art because it is not man made.
art needs to be man made?
you can generate some pretty "impressive" dada with the computer and people cannot distinguish between paintings made by primates or modern art. seems to me the only thing art needs to be is artificial which is pretty shallow...

meh, need more sleep.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Lord Andre said:
All good games (including good cRPGs) are art. To say that no cRPG is art, is to say that no cRPG is a good game.

Thats... not true. At all. "Good" just means that you are above the standard mass. To specify something as "Art" it has to be better than "good". It has to be influental, emotinally, intellectual moving.

Thats said. I agree with Lord Andre for the most part.

IronicNeurotic said:
Thats... not true. At all. "Good" just means that you are above the standard mass. To specify something as "Art" it has to be better than "good". It has to be influental, emotinally, intellectual moving.

So there's no such thing as "bad art" then?

Lord Andre

Arcane
Let's see what we have here.

Another romanian bashing the icons of his own culture. How original, how unique, how intelligent, how about you fuck off you little emo cunt.

Movin' on.

Modern art is not art because it is modern art, sence the word "modern" in the expression. Other than that read my previous posts, I ain't got the patience today to explain 1+1=2 again.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Multidirectional said:
IronicNeurotic said:

So there's no such thing as "bad art" then?

Depends on how you specify "bad art".

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Lord Andre said:
Let's see what we have here.

Another romanian bashing the icons of his own culture. How original, how unique, how intelligent, how about you fuck off you little emo cunt.

Movin' on.

Modern art is not art because it is modern art, sence the word "modern" in the expression. Other than that read my previous posts, I ain't got the patience today to explain 1+1=2 again.

I'm not Romanian arsewipe. I just happen to live in this shithole.

What culture anyway? Begging? Stealing? Manele? Corruption? Blaming everything on the Gypsies? Fuck off with your bullshit culture arsehole. Go out on the street and see the seed chewing dickheads with greasy hair, tight jeans and T-shirts making comments to every girl that passes by. That's Romanian culture right there...faggot. You think they can quote your 'masters'?

That's Romanians in a nutshell, base boors who do nothing to make the country better but try to scheme and steal everything while whooping in the street like animals at girls. Oh, but they, like you are the first to mention some dead poets to show their 'culture' in front of foreigners despite most of these people being fucking illiterate.

Reject_666_6 called you out on this bullshit recognising the same stock line abut the nature of that particular poets' work. Like a fucking parrot you repeat the blurb on the back of the book without ever having read it. Funny thing is that a Romanian friend of mine used EXACTLY the same 'aesthetic of the ugly' line many years ago about the same fucking poet! Do you all take the same "how to pretend you're learned' lessons?

Piss off cunt, turn on OTV, Taraf and any of the propaganda news channels and enjoy Diaconescu and all the 'Aliens are fucking my daughter' stuff and the strippers dancing at night to shitty Manele!Then watch any of the 100 per day shitty talk shows which have the same 12 Romanian 'stars' on them talking intensely about such topics as '10 sexiest blondes' or '10 most beautiful politicians'. Romanian culture indeed!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait. There actually are people, who move to Romania? I mean, by will? Where did You live before, commie? Poland?

commie said:
Piss off cunt, turn on OTV, Taraf and any of the propaganda news channels and enjoy Diaconescu and all the 'Aliens are fucking my daughter' stuff and the strippers dancing at night to shitty Manele! Romanian culture indeed!

commie said:
and enjoy Diaconescu and all the 'Aliens are fucking my daughter' stuff and the strippers

commie said:
all the 'Aliens are fucking my daughter' stuff

The fact that you mention this so casually makes me think Romania is actually a pretty amazing place to live in

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
commie said:
Piss off cunt, turn on OTV, Taraf and any of the propaganda news channels and enjoy Diaconescu and all the 'Aliens are fucking my daughter' stuff and the strippers dancing at night to shitty Manele! Romanian culture indeed!

commie said:
and enjoy Diaconescu and all the 'Aliens are fucking my daughter' stuff and the strippers

commie said:
all the 'Aliens are fucking my daughter' stuff

The fact that you mention this so casually makes me think Romania is actually a pretty amazing place to live in

You wouldn't believe all the ridiculous 'aliens', 'end of the world', 'masonic conspiracies' and other shit they put on TV here. Not just on retarded obscure channels, but as a matter of fact on 'normal' media. Romanians are notoriously superstitious and credulous of god, aliens, vampires etc. Strange that in this day and age there still is a culture in Europe that exhumes the dead to perform anti Vampire rites and nails nuns to a cross to chase out the Devil!

If this was all Romania was then it would be a pretty intriguing place to live in, but there's a lot more banal depressing macho culture and grinding poverty to dampen the fun.

MicoSelva said:
Wait. There actually are people, who move to Romania? I mean, by will? Where did You live before, commie? Poland?

Australia. :oops: I'm here cause of my wife and son. She got pregnant before I could smuggle her out, so we're stuck here for the moment.

catfood

AGAIN
Yes, we romanians worship the Great Old Ones, the rightful rulers of the world, soon to awaken and bring death and terror from beyond time and space. :lol:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Sorry catfood and callaxes among other Romanians here that aren't butthurt like this Andre dude. I'm not really having a go at Romania(well I am, but not in a 'I hate this shitty place just cause it exists' way). Many nice Romanians and the place has a lot of history and culture indeed. Beautiful country too when you go past the austere dirty Stalinist blocks and awful nouveu-capitalist neons and the piles of garbage and rubble which seems to be everywhere.

I just dislike pretentious fuckers pretending that a nation is better than what it is. Poland is no better and neither is Australia in many ways but I acknowledge that and don't pretend that they are bastions of cultural supremacy.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
IronicNeurotic said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Lord Andre said:

So, it has to be good? And most of games are emotionally moving.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom