Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian Reveals 'Project Eternity' - Kickstarter Live

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem with writing a satirical version of that interview is that what he said is even worse:

"Ultimately, we really feel that what an RPG is about is the characters and the story – not the setting. Hit points are hit points whether you are killing past, present or future zombies. What engages and what keeps you going in an RPG are characters that you love and hate and story lines that tug at your emotions."

Obsdian making a storyfag game with shitty mechanics? Totally unheard of.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I have enough internet access tonight to do this to GameBanshee's interview:

The problem with writing a satirical version of that interview is that what he said is even worse:

"Ultimately, we really feel that what an RPG is about is the characters and the story – not the setting. Hit points are hit points whether you are killing past, present or future zombies. What engages and what keeps you going in an RPG are characters that you love and hate and story lines that tug at your emotions."

It's funny that you say that, because that statement was obviously meant to placate butthurt Codexian-type people who hate generic high fantasy settings.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
As we have said - make the house class specific and tie it with variety of quest lines.

What? Imagine the butthurt Biodrones crying that they can't get the house because they don't have the right class. That's like racism.

Untermensch

Augur
........blargh.......

:lol: Congrats on wasting minutes of your life typing shit no sane person will find funny. Obviously you have too much free time.

On topic: The reason the tiers are shit is because they didn't expect to reach their goal so fast??????

What the fuck???

Were they even reading their forums or other RPG sites? There was a lot of anticipation for the Obsidian kickstarter.
It's like the kickstarter campaign was designed by some inept moran who doesn't even know what the word "marketing" means, let alone knows the basics of economy and selling your product.
Plus this has got to be the most vague kickstarter project. "Yeah we made great CRPGs in the past, and this time it'll be no diffrent, so give the money please"

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Dead State's initial stretch goal was shit shit shit. Wasn't it like boring weapons no one cared about and it helped turf their momentum so it didn't even get fully funded until weeks later? Yeah.

It's not about quality of goals (though, they are shit), it's about financial planning. 30 K for a new full time employee is justifiable, while 200k for a house is not.
You don't understand how stretch goals work. The vast majority of those 200K will be going towards developing the game in general, and fulfilling any physical KS rewards of those pledgers. 200K is just a goal to give anyone who pledges after the project has already been funded the feeling they're contributing towards something substantial, rather than just a "better" game.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Dead State's initial stretch goal was shit shit shit. Wasn't it like boring weapons no one cared about and it helped turf their momentum so it didn't even get fully funded until weeks later? Yeah.

It's not about quality of goals (though, they are shit), it's about financial planning. 30 K for a new full time employee is justifiable, while 200k for a house is not.
You don't understand how stretch goals work. The vast majority of those 200K will be going towards developing the game in general, and fulfilling any physical KS rewards of those pledgers. 200K is just a goal to give anyone who pledges after the project has already been funded the feeling they're contributing towards something substantial, rather than just a "better" game.

How about giving us something tangible that has value? A fifth district in a capital city, a faction that is interesting and fit the setting. How about more choices that lead to different endings?

almondblight

Arcane
It's funny that you say that, because that statement was obviously meant to placate butthurt Codexian-type people who hate generic high fantasy settings.

I doubt that.

Buck: What can you tell us about the entirely new fantasy world you're building, and would you categorize it as high/low magic or high/low/heroic fantasy? Why did you decide to go with fantasy instead of a lesser used theme, and what are some unique elements that set your world apart from the many others already out there?

Feargus: We talked a lot about the genre and to be honest we kept on coming back to fantasy. With all the experience we have had with a lot of varied fantasy settings, we are really looking for to taking our unique approach with factions, characters and mature themes to the setting. Ultimately, we really feel that what an RPG is about is the characters and the story – not the setting. Hit points are hit points whether you are killing past, present or future zombies. What engages and what keeps you going in an RPG are characters that you love and hate and story lines that tug at your emotions.

"Tell us something interesting about the setting."

"Well, we're going to be doing a lot of interesting things with the setting, so it'll be good. But ultimately it only affects what shader we use on the rats you kill. What's really important is the emotion of the characters."

Doesn't seem like a statement aimed at Codex-types at all. More like "I'm not going to say anything about the setting now so here's something you Bioware fans will care about."

Project: Eternity
Sigh. After decades of nothing, the Codex throws the towel on something that at least MIGHT lead to something really good after almost literally a single day. SHAMEFUR DISPRAY KKKODEX!!!

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
They just need to come out and say what they are building. Fargo told us what he was doing. Why don't the Obsidian people do the same?

Micmu

Magister
So Obsidian is trying to copy biowarez once again.
What a shocking surprise. :roll:
If ass protocol was attempt at ass effect, this is attempt at dragon gag.

Next!

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Woah when the sudden 360?

Let's at least get some info before grabbing the pitchforks.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
However the way the slaves were presented made no sense. Women being used as pack rats, what?
Slavery makes no sense from utilitarian viewpoint. Furthermore, Chinese communists used women as pack rats during the Civil War as did the Vietcong and NVA later.

How does slavery not make sense?

It's free labor (barring the cost of fodd and etc)! Many people have no useful purpose besides low level slave jobs.
This should really go into /gd/ but the short answer is that regular slaves cost upkeep while not performing to their full potential. Motivation theory and all that.

In any case, not pledging until non-Steam version is announced. RTwP I can live with but not with mandatory Steam.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
You know it should serve as a warning how little information they show. With an RPG project they should at the very least give a basic idea of the setting, the races, classes, overall mechanics and things like that. The "game details" could describe almost every CRPG in existance.

The codex should be the first to point this out but I guess you people are too busy being pathetic and throwing money on nothing but buzzwords and name-dropping.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The stretch goals are lame.
They should have asked for 3 million upfront.
:M

Edit: I also fell for the troll earlier, well played. It's something I could have imagined.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm still looking forward (and backing this). The RAGE over the stretch goals are that some need more clarification, and hell ANY info on the game is finally revealed. They just need to get busy with giving us a bit more info and then I think the funnel of cash will open wide.

Still. ultimately, I LOVE the IE games, and if it is similar in design with the same perspective, companions (even if you cannot choose their classes just like BG/BGII/PST), RTwP combat, stat and skill checks (which I know give josh a huge hard-on) I can certainly back that. And since they are working exclusively on an engine they them selves designed this will bode well for the game design, as they know what they can do with it (as opposed to all the other games they have worked on).

Just give us some more info Obsidian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom