Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian to reveal a new game at GDC 2014

Diggfinger

Arcane
Point taken....but the game world was smaller in Vegas (less locations). F3's world was more fleshed-out, probably due to bigger budget/more staff. (ex. from Vegas being the very barren wasteland).

mmqPUVZ.png

They are roughly the same but the city in FO3 is partitioned into an annoying amount of small corridors. It's like half the entire game is made up of Freesides.

As for the theme park design of the rest of the game world; well, it was made that way for a particular kind of crowd. A spectacle every 10 steps. It's okay, though; there is a place at the Codex even for consoletard scum.

I play console (A)RPG's (Fallout and Dark Souls) but prefer PC RPGs.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Allow me to elaborate: I thought Bethesda did a great job of taking the Fallout franchise and building a new kind of game in it. While lighter on the RPG elements, I nontheless spend countless hours roaming through the wasteland (rendered in great 3D) shooting dudes heads off.

While Vegas was great (spend hundreds of hours on that aswell), one cannot objectively deny the fact that it was less detailed, less content-rich and had lower production values than F3 (not to mention that the game was a buggy mess). This was somewhat made up for with the more "Fallouty feel" (more jokes, lights etc.) but still - in all fairness Bethesda deserves praise for reviving this classic series and bringing it to a new generation.

Thanks to them, we actually got F3, Vegas and who knows what will come in the future? Fallout fans should be happy about that.
:nocountryforshitposters:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I thought Fallout 3 was great but besides a few cool changes (i.e. perks every second level) Vegas was but a "poor man's F3".
Welcome to the Codex, you will fit right in here. Your custom tag will be activated shortly.

Allow me to elaborate: I thought Bethesda did a great job of taking the Fallout franchise and building a new kind of game in it. While lighter on the RPG elements, I nontheless spend countless hours roaming through the wasteland (rendered in great 3D) shooting dudes heads off.

While Vegas was great (spend hundreds of hours on that aswell), one cannot objectively deny the fact that it was less detailed, less content-rich and had lower production values than F3 (not to mention that the game was a buggy mess). This was somewhat made up for with the more "Fallouty feel" (more jokes, lights etc.) but still - in all fairness Bethesda deserves praise for reviving this classic series and bringing it to a new generation.

Thanks to them, we actually got F3, Vegas and who knows what will come in the future? Fallout fans should be happy about that.
Jesus, my ignore list is getting bigger again.

Zeriel

Arcane
No no no you're doing it wrong :negative:

Thank you Infinitron, 'Fallout 3 was so much better' was not what I meant. Holy shit what have I done? Should have never opened my mouth re: Fallout.

Fallout New Vegas is mediocre because it uses Fallout 3 as a basis for an Obsidian game, and Fallout 3 is a pile of garbage. 'Oblivion with Guns' was a joke, but that's what it is. I suppose it does highlight desperation of Fallout fans that even here you have people who want to like it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Troika was in the bidding to get the Fallout license. Bethesda just outbid them.

So, yes. Thank you Bethesda! If you hadn't stepped in, Troika would have made Fallout 3. Clearly that would have been a disaster!

Kz3r0

Arcane
I thought Fallout 3 was great but besides a few cool changes (i.e. perks every second level) Vegas was but a "poor man's F3".
Welcome to the Codex, you will fit right in here. Your custom tag will be activated shortly.

Jesus, my ignore list is getting bigger again.
Great Sensation isn't it?:bounce:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well it's true that without F3 there would have been no New Vegas. So... thanks, Bethesda.
I could have lived without FNV if it meant not having do deal with Harold the tree, steel be with you, a city built around the crater of an unexploded nuclear bomb (I still don't get that one), have you seen my father, he's a middle-aged guy, [intelligence] you fight the good fight with the power of your words, and all of the other infuriating bullshit Fallout 3 contains.

There's no need to elaborate, you just have shit taste in video games.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Well it's true that without F3 there would have been no New Vegas. So... thanks, Bethesda.
I could have lived without FNV if it meant not having do deal with Harold the tree, steel be with you, a city built around the crater of an unexploded nuclear bomb (I still don't get that one), have you seen my father, he's a middle-aged guy, [intelligence] you fight the good fight with the power of your words, and all of the other infuriating bullshit Fallout 3 contains.
Me too, which is why I've never played Failout 3. As far as I'm concerned New Vegas is the direct sequel to Fallout 2, they never made any other Fallout games :smug:

Pointless drudgery. The world we live in is full of an ungodly amount of misery and wretchedness but choosing to focus on the bad is no way to live. And a lot of the luxury and good we enjoy as privileges today come from origins far less than stellar, and some of it pretty horrendous, in fact. We acknowledge the bad, hopefully try to do something about it and appreciate the good unless the net outcome is something we can actively strive to change.

Would Troika's Fallout do better? Assuming they somehow secured the means to even produce the game properly at all, as a studio on the hinge of closing down at the time of their bid, after they would throw money at the game rights. Writing and quest design in FNV is a marvel that easily rivals Troika's best despite the shaky foundation borrowed from FO3. Basic gameplay by Troika would most likely be far better but come the fuck on, FNV isn't a horrendous piece of shit; Obsidian pulled a massive feat with it and considering the general inadequacy of Obsidian with management of their projects, whether that outcome is because of or despite working on the pre-existing foundation of FO3 is up for discussion.

And even if 90% of the mods are absolute garbage, I really enjoy my FNV with such extensive modding capabilities -thanks to FO3- for those few quality mods and judging by the state of the other Troika games, lack of modding-friendliness would be very unfortunate in retrospective. FNV is the best that could be made of a shitty situation and shit happens far too often in this world. Can't really say the same about Troika what with their overreliance on compulsory grind and combat heaviness, even though their games are in my top 10 and I don't even like Obsidian that much in general.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
While Linden is technically correct (the best kind of correct), his implication is wrong. The implication being that we only got a good Fallout game because Bethesda made a bad one.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

:rage::what::hearnoevil::gumpyhead:

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Basic gameplay by Troika would most likely be far better.
I doubt this very much unless you're judging it from a "turn based is always better than any kind of real-time, no exceptions" perspective.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
If Sega can still be bothered to publish another Alien game after the Colonial Marines débâcle, this might as well be Alpha Protolol 2.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Beth apologist tag plz

EDIT: Seriously? I can't leave this one alone. WE'RE LUCKY THERE WAS POLIO BECAUSE IT GAVE US SOMETHING TO USE VACCINES ON

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Beth apologist tag plz

EDIT: Seriously? I can't leave this one alone. WE'RE LUCKY THERE WAS POLIO BECAUSE IT GAVE US SOMETHING TO USE VACCINES ON
I'd rather have a Fallout by JES than a Fallout by those story-and-cleverness-loving losers at Troika, so things worked out entirely for the best as far as I'm concerned.

Athelas

Arcane
If Fallout 3 had been made by Troika, would the combat have been similar to Temple of Elemental Evil...

...or Arcanum? :troll:

hexer

:|

Is it spring time yet? Because I see trolls are coming out of their caves.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Beth apologist tag plz

I'd rather have a Fallout by JES than a Fallout by those story-and-cleverness-loving losers at Troika, so things worked out entirely for the best as far as I'm concerned.
:0/5: Too obvious Roguey, too obvious.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Fallout 3 had been made by Troika, would the combat have been similar to Temple of Elemental Evil...

...or Arcanum? :troll:

Wouldn't have mattered to me; similiar to either would've been a better fit than a first person shooting. :obviously:

Basic gameplay by Troika would most likely be far better.
I doubt this very much unless you're judging it from a "turn based is always better than any kind of real-time, no exceptions" perspective.

I played Arcanum in RTwP. It was an unendurable mess in TB. Bloodlines is RT. TOEE is the only TB game among them to me. I'm judging it from a "the game providing good and interesting things to play with" perspective. Troika games better utilize their strong suits. In comparison, FNV is bogged down by too much trinket hoarding, dungeoneering and back-and-forth'ing.

I have never thought about this before but, all other things being equal, I think I'd rather take FNV in first person over a shitty RTwP/TB isometric Fallout like Arcanum.

Beth apologist tag plz

You mean a Fallout by Obsidian. I imagine it would be pretty fucking impossible to credit one guy with the entirety of a game's design. And let's also remember that Tim is ex-Troika and Obsidian has more than a few other ex-Troika people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom