Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian working on a Pathfinder game - could be an Eternity CRPG + card game

I think making this shit will not consume much of Obsidian workforce. Few artists and programmers seems enough for this. Some cash will flow in without much effort.
I can't help but think this announcement was made to cover Brennecke little problem with insects.
:troll:

Sadly, all latest games announced from Obsidian are disappointing :(

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think making this shit will not consume much of Obsidian workforce. Few artists and programmers seems enough for this. Some cash will flow in without much effort.
I can't help but think this announcement was made to cover Brennecke little problem with insects.
:troll:

Sadly, all latest game announcements from Obsidian are disappointment :(
His problem wasn't with the insects. He killed the party on purpose because he has ogrephobia.

Rake

Arcane
second kickstarter a pathfinder TB RPG?
No way. They won't kickstart 2 traditional fantasy games , more so if one of them doesn't belong to them only and will lincence the IP. My guess is that pathfinder games will be self funded by Obsidian ( and that for now means tablet games, mobile card games etc.) and latter maybe a series of cRPG slam dunks like Troika wanted to do with ToEE.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I honestly don't care too much about this. I don't want them to make another fantasy CRPG, and they'd be dumb to do it at this point. The same small studio making two fantasy CRPGs that overlap on time frame? Dumb business decision. So if this is some weird card game hybrid, fine. It is different enough from PoE that it won't cannibalize their efforts. I'd much rather see them dump resources into the PoE franchise than dilute their efforts to make a very similar game.

Hormalakh

Magister
Oh man I can't wait to see this game. How many bugs can you think up of in an adventure card game? Card games also pose great :balance: potential.

Tigranes

Arcane
Tablet card game lol

Hope they mean it when they say 'series of games' based on the license. Nothing bad with starting small if it gets big.

ikarinokami

Augur
No way. They won't kickstart 2 traditional fantasy games , more so if one of them doesn't belong to them only and will lincence the IP. My guess is that pathfinder games will be self funded by Obsidian ( and that for now means tablet games, mobile card games etc.) and latter maybe a series of cRPG slam dunks like Troika wanted to do with ToEE.
there is a world of difference between a TB TOEE style pathfinder game and RTwP POE and if you know paizo you would know that they would not be offended by obsidian kickstarting a paizo RPG. why wouldn't they do a fantasy RPG that is what sells the best in the market place, they are also very good at, not mention pathfinder allows for a lot of different settings, from horror, to fantasy sci fi, to steam punk. obsidian would never have the resources to replicate the amount of lore/rules and settings that exists in pathfinder and has been generated over the last 5 years.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
:butthurt:

''Waaaah Waaaah it's not a science fiction setting with muh laser beams replacing fireballs waaaaah waaaaaah!!!!1111''

Fuck off with your science fantasy bullshit spoktards.

I want another historical RPG. Why couldn't this be Darklands 2 ?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Pathfinder art is incredibly shitty as far as I remember, why would anyone want to make card game out of it, unless they want to promote new brand of belts and buckles

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
So many hypocrits in this thread, I'd like to kick them in the teeth. Every time a poll comes up about what kind of RPG would you like to see from Obsidian, Pathfinder gains a good result. But now that it is a possibility, everyone is acting edgy and hates it in advance. Fuck you!

I hope it will be a RTwP game. Just to make people butthurt. We have enough TB games already, I'm getting tired of them (Blackguards, Expeditions, 2 Shadowrun, D: OS, soon Wasteland 2 and I don't even understand why will Torment be turn based).
Let the hate flow!

Please Obsidian make it so. We will have a new 1000+ page thread of concentrated butthurt.

deuxhero

Arcane
Pathfinder art is incredibly shitty as far as I remember, why would anyone want to make card game out of it, unless they want to promote new brand of belts and buckles

We covered this a few pages back. The main artist they use for the iconics is indeed really terrible, but most of the other artists they use are pretty good.

ikarinokami

Augur
lisa_southpark.gif

Imbicatus wrote:
I'm just hoping there will be more than just the card game app.

There will be a CRPG. Just no details to announce right now. Our deal with Obsidian is a long term partnership. I expect there will be many games over the coming years. The card game app was easier for them to get up running fast. There will even be a demo at our booth at GenCon. But there are other plans that will be revealed in time.
Super excited that this is finally public! Looking forward to working with Obsidian on a bunch of awesome Pathfinder games!
Lisa

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"Many games over the coming years", huh? Looking forward to the tablet Pathfinder RPG, the tablet Pathfinder poker game, and the tablet Pathfinder Angry Birds clone from Obsidian.

Rake

Arcane
there is a world of difference between a TB TOEE style pathfinder game and RTwP POE and if you know paizo you would know that they would not be offended by obsidian kickstarting a paizo RPG. why wouldn't they do a fantasy RPG that is what sells the best in the market place, they are also very good at, not mention pathfinder allows for a lot of different settings, from horror, to fantasy sci fi, to steam punk. obsidian would never have the resources to replicate the amount of lore/rules and settings that exists in pathfinder and has been generated over the last 5 years.
I'm not saying paizo would be offended, i'm saying it would be a better buisness decision for Obsidian to own the IP. Also, i know shit about pathfinder. If it has horror, steampunk etc. settings, then that's good. I could see Obsidian making a pathfinder game in those settings, even if their own IP would still be a better idea. I just don't think they will use a fantasy pathfinder setting

set

Cipher
tablet

lul

Obsidian doing a tablet game?

I guess it was inevitable.

I guess... I guess everyone better go back to work making their own game. Not like anybody's going to make it at this rate.

Rake

Arcane
:butthurt:

''Waaaah Waaaah it's not a science fiction setting with muh laser beams replacing fireballs waaaaah waaaaaah!!!!1111''

Fuck off with your science fantasy bullshit spoktards.

I want another historical RPG. Why couldn't this be Darklands 2 ?
Fuck of. I don't give two shits about a historical RPG (unless it's a historical RPG not based in medieval Europe, but good luck with that). The one thing i agree is that science fiction setting is overated, but your alternative was actually worse.

ikarinokami

Augur
I'm not saying paizo would be offended, i'm saying it would be a better buisness decision for Obsidian to own the IP. Also, i know shit about pathfinder. If it has horror, steampunk etc. settings, then that's good. I could see Obsidian making a pathfinder game in those settings, even if their own IP would still be a better idea. I just don't think they will use a fantasy pathfinder setting

I disagree for the same reason, paizo used the unity engine rather than their own. creating lore/class mechanic/setting has high opportunity costs. this to me is an excellent situation for obsidian, paizo creates and playtest all the nuts and bolts and obsidian can focus on the computer programming. of course it's going to be fantasy, while paizo has a lot of settings (the different regions of golorion) the most developed ones are the fantasy settings, it would be a waste of the partnership not to take advantage of it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Obsidian never fails to deliver. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom