Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pathfinder Adventures card game

Ninjerk

Arcane
:necro:

So after reluctantly giving up on Phoenix Point after giving it so many honest attempts to earn my adoration, I needed something I could learn fairly quickly and play for a couple of days until I start playing Gloomhaven with my friends. I wondered if I should play Tales from Candlekeep, went to the Codex-thread and saw the lukewarm reception as well as J1M 's post stating he didn't get addicted to it like he did with Pathfinder Adventures. That's when I remembered I still had this sitting in my inventory (maybe after being gifted it by Infinitron or somesuch? I surely never bought it) and decided to give it another go after never really playing it.

Long story short, I'm very glad i did. This game is pretty fucking amazing given how simple (and criminally underbought) it is. It has some low-development-effort wonkiness, but it's nothing that gets really annoying or unmanagable, and on the flip side, the mechanics of the game are highly compelling.

The only problem I have with it is an over-reliance on something called Blessings (d6 bonuses to rolls which are kind of a necessary duct tape fix for some minor holes in the mechanics). Other than that, the game is great. Give it a go if you're a tabletop kind of dude.

In essence, this looks to be something that the market (and the Codex) dismissed as mobile trash cash grabbing but which is actually a pretty great game packaged in a decent development effort given the circumstances.

EDIT: Also, it is a crime against humanity that this never got multiplayer functionality. Would be so fun.
It felt pretty bland at release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom