Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
And yet you dismissed felipepepe's critisisms that were p. much this, that the game lacks a unified vision,direction, and it doesn't feel like it was anyone's dream game but a checklist of "old school aarrpeegees had this and this and this" :roll:

He's mocking him (Felipepe).

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I think the attribute design goals are pretty reasonable to be honest, although difficulty in achieving it has been created by removing certain elements from the system. The Interrupt and Concentration system (while technically not new ideas in themselves) had to be invented simply to create more combat stats for attributes after the removal of defenses from the mix.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
"Learn vicariously", right. We'll see.

Already technically done that with not going straight for early access and having the beta as a seperate SKU on steam and the date at which they published their gameplay video (closer to release).

Apparently localization is already in (for the beta), it's just not 100% finished.

I don;t know that EA is a mistake unless your game fails the value proposition test. At $60 for EA 'beta' of alpha quality, that was WL2 big mistake there. The D:OS EA was just fine IMO.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If Underrail and AoD weren't on Early Access I think both dev teams would be in a rather troubled spot right now.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don;t know that EA is a mistake unless your game fails the value proposition test. At $60 for EA 'beta' of alpha quality, that was WL2 big mistake there. The D:OS EA was just fine IMO.
This doesn't make sense. At some point the alpha quality product becomes beta quality. If InXile had waited 3 months to do early access, it would have been a better value?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Resolve determining status effect duration is a good idea. Perception should determine both concentration and interrupt. "Interrupts" should happen even when the attacked character isn't performing an action.

INT should also lose the Will bonus, and DEX should lose the Reflex bonus to make PER and RES more valuable. While I'm at it, DEX should determine damage for light weapons and firearms, INT should get magical damage as god intended.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
I don't think Obsidian was ever interested in having a protracted Early Access cycle. They knew precisely what they wanted to make (an Infinity Engine clone) and are only looking for some final feedback to tweak combat. Further tarnishing their reputation with a buggy, crashy Early Access version probably was a concern, as well.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Tim Cain should go in to Josh, smack him on the back of his head and tell him to get his shit together. Unfortunately, Tim Cain seems to be a nice fellow that wouldn't hurt a fly.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
This doesn't make sense. At some point the alpha quality product becomes beta quality. If InXile had waited 3 months to do early access, it would have been a better value?

Unquestionably better to have beta quality beta than an alpha quality beta - you could argue that so much was in flux during the WL2 EA beta that it was of pre-alpha quality while touted as beta. I don't think anyone would characterize the beta launch as anything other than alpha at best, including inExile. Was it worth $60? That is subjective I guess but I know my answer.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Unquestionably better to have beta quality beta than an alpha quality beta - you could argue that so much was in flux during the WL2 EA beta that it was of pre-alpha quality while touted as beta. I don't think anyone would characterize the beta launch as anything other than alpha at best, including inExile. Was it worth $60? That is subjective.
You're missing the point. If a beta is worth $60, and an alpha becomes a beta, then buying the alpha becomes worth it when it becomes a beta, no?

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Unquestionably better to have beta quality beta than an alpha quality beta - you could argue that so much was in flux during the WL2 EA beta that it was of pre-alpha quality while touted as beta. I don't think anyone would characterize the beta launch as anything other than alpha at best, including inExile. Was it worth $60? That is subjective.
You're missing the point. If a beta is worth $60, and an alpha becomes a beta, then buying the alpha becomes worth it when it becomes a beta, no?

My thoughts were in response to the assertion that Obsidian had learned from the mistakes of others re: EA beta fuckups. Value proposition speaks more to damage from mishandling setting and delivery against expectations.

My assertion was that D:OS EA beta was fine.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
There is a huge gulf between "perfectly balanced" (never, ever stated as a design goal) and "no bad builds". Yes, you always have to play to the strengths of your build. It's your job to play the game. It's our job to put good and worthwhile options in front of you so more than half the characters you make are viable.

We currently have four stats that all feel important and strong for all classes according to our testers. Yes, it's hard to make all six valuable for all classes. There is no logical reason why we can't figure out solutions for the two outliers. We're not folding space.

Well, people will be playing it at Gamescom in a few days, so it will be interesting to see. I'm a *~ li'l ~* worried that the BB areas we're showing may be too hard for random convention-goers, but we'll see!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
.. and agreeable combat. That demo was like watching bucky balls slam into eachother.
I also predict it'll have better combat than both.

Yep, there's a reason Roguey hasn't addressed the issue. :P Suddenly PoE isn't looking so different from the other Kickstarter RPGs with their end-of-development system changes.
Balancing is literally never finished.

It's not a sky-is-falling issue if a couple of stats end up being okay-but-not-as-useful-as-the-others.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They gave you the option of canceling your key, though that wasn't ideal.

Plus they have all those EA reviews mixed in with the final product and that is bad.

Sensuki

Arcane
Yeah but you couldn't cancel your key until well after release, due to the gog release coming out really late. I didn't even bother in the end.

deuxhero

Arcane
Is there an option for any ethnically asian humans? I know one of the shark people subtypes have clothes styled after some asian cultures.

I always assumed it would be Asian, Caucasian, and negro, because hispanic isn't a fucking race. Hm, well, which is which anyway?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
So PoE is gonna have dump stats, eh? Who would have known.

Balancing is literally never finished.

Sure it is, we're not talking about competitive multiplayer oriented games here (Starcraft, Diablo 2, WOW, MOBAs etc.) that get "balance" patches even years after their release.

Regardless, overhauling systems so close to release is a definite sign of incompetence :)

Athelas

Arcane
Are Interrupts not that useful, or is that just how it's perceived? From Sawyer's account, it sounds like the testers are approaching it from a perspective of 'gotta interrupt that mage who just started casting' like in the IE games, which is odd with a system where everything can be interrupted. Seems to me the key benefit would be that over time, with high Perception you'd prevent the enemy from making a few attacks and with high Resolve you'd get in a few more attacks. Of course, it heavily depends on encounter design and how significant the boosts are that the other stats provide by comparison.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So PoE is gonna have dump stats, eh? Who would have known.
They're not outright-dumps though.

Sure it is, we're not talking about competitive multiplayer oriented games here (Starcraft, Diablo 2, WOW, MOBAs etc.) that get "balance" patches even years after their release.
I can guarantee you every single-player RPG ever has been balanced up till the gold master and sometimes beyond.

Regardless, overhauling systems so close to release is a definite sign of incompetence :)
This isn't that significant an overhaul. As Josh said on SA, he's not folding space here.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom