Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

agris

Arcane
Patron
Sensuki do you know if those gaudy CGI ability/spell icons are final, or will the runic style from bg1/2 be used for the final?

eremita

Savant
FR and basically any DnD setting are stupid and not well thought out. Just think about the world where things like Charm Person, Domination, Shapeshift etc. etc. exist/are not that much special. That kind of world would simply ceased to exist in any rational way unless we're talking total control in hands of few (Some Warhammer 40K with "Holly Emperor" kind of thing). It's so fucking stupid that you're forced to question imershun/intelect of people designing this stuff... Oh and don't make me start about theology... Ridiculous! but frankly, I don't give a shit cause it's good for what it is (gaming). Every DnD setting besides Planescape is just a shade of shit (yes, Dark Sun included).
Well, the harpers and magical sean connery make sure no one in the entire world is too powerful to dominate the rest.
Funny that you only like the setting that encompasses all the other settings. And that you put Dark Sun in the same bag as the rest when almost the whole poin of the setting is power in the hands of a few and how destructive it can be.
Also protection from evil is your friend.

My favorite DnD setting is Ravenloft, havent had a chance to DM it yet, but two of the characters in my campaing are this close to ending up as lords in that place.
Well, let me clarify; Planescape manages to evade the whole "it's nonsensical from realist's perspective" point because it fully embraces the rules of the universe. In other words, I'm bitching about FR because they obviously didn't think it through when they combined their own laws of the universe with pretty standard pseudo-feudal/ancient society... That "real world resemblance" is not present in Planescape or at least not that much.
Dark Sun is probably the best of the shitty ones, but i still don't like that cosmology very much... I mean the post-apocalyptic/survival + Middle East theme is cool, but that hardly makes it interesting or even well thought...

Froglok

Educated
"omg he died to beetles what a shit game"

-typical mountain dew-swilling, mass effect-playing, controller-using modern "gamer" (aka FAGGOT)

I personally look forward to being TPK'd by lvl 1 kobolds using poisoned crossbows. My body is ready.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Here's a video of someone else playing the Ogre quest (I think Josh, I didn't use sound)

Is there an auto attack? Party members just stand there ...

Tigranes

Arcane
If you mean continuing to attack after being told to attack manually:

6:30 - bowman halfling thing in green auto-shoots the bow.
7:00 - heavy armed fighter dude auto-swings the axe.

If you mean party members automatically initiating melee combat out of their own volition, that would only happen with party AI on, and it's quite clearly off here.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe there is no AI, not even for automatically engaging the nearest foe when combat begins.

It should at least automatically attack enemies who engage you in melee, though.

Tigranes

Arcane
Maybe there is no AI, not even for automatically engaging the nearest foe when combat begins.

It should at least automatically attack enemies who engage you in melee, though.

Hell no, if party AI is turned off everyone should do absolutely nothing. What if one dude has a fire damage sword equipped against a fire elemental, for an easy example?

You casuals can play a full party control game with AI if you want but real men pause every 0.3 seconds and maniacally order every single attack :rpgcodex:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey verdict: Better beta 'n D:OS and Wasteland 2.

I was wondering what the systematic benefits of lore and athletics were and now I know: more'n'faster stats and bestiary info, and going longer without suffering fatigue.

Unfortunately the box doesn't explain what the benefits are of giving all your companions lore.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
You casuals can play a full party control game with AI if you want but real men pause every 0.3 seconds and maniacally order every single attack :rpgcodex:

I manually do everything in all of the IE games. The only thing that I like is that my party members automatically attack enemies on sight, like they do in pretty much every RTS ever.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I manually do everything in all of the IE games. The only thing that I like is that my party members automatically attack enemies on sight, like they do in pretty much every RTS ever.
Usually in RTSs you have to use attack move instead of normal move. So it's not exactly automatic.

Also, I don't want my characters auto attacking in an IE game that could mean 6 seconds until you can cast a spell.

Sensuki

Arcane
Usually in RTSs you have to use attack move instead of normal move. So it's not exactly automatic.

No you don't.

Units automatically attack in Warcraft 2, Total Annihilation, TA:K, Battle Realms, Warcraft 3, C&C Generals, Starcraft, Starcraft 2, Age of Empires 2 ... etc etc etc etc

There should be an auto-attack toggle IMO.

I remember reading that the higher difficulty settings changed the encounters to have bigger groups(And possibly stronger enemy types), I hope that's not on top of any stat buffing or other "rule changes". I'm looking forward to playing the hardest difficulty, but if it's coupled with +50% damage taken and instant permadeath on knockdown or some other stupid shit then I'll probably opt for the default.

Game looks fun and challenging in any case, nice environments, Hope they fix the fish-orcs and what we saw of them was just a WIP.

Sensuki

Arcane
Starcraft
I know for a fact this is wrong. You have to push A before moving for your units just stand there like idiots. Unless one of the million patches since Brood War changed it.

Nah they definitely auto attack man.

The difference between A click and normal move is that when you A-click, units will attack as soon as they see an enemy. Normal move means that the units will move to the targeting indicator no matter what, and once they're there, then they will auto attack.

Hormalakh

Magister
No Sensuki, you're wrong. Warcraft and Starcraft both do not autoattack.

Edit: Your second response is accurate. But that isn't "autoattack."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom