Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Lord Andre

Arcane
When imweasel has an opinion, and a half-valid one at that, everyone is calling him an idiot, BUT when Roguey spews retarded shit every day I don't hear a pip out of you guys. You know who you are and you are all fagots.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I found VOTS in an alternate timeline where he plays Xbawks :troll:

Was posted several pages back. This dude has some good points 50% of the time but the other half is him on retarded "angry" rants that seems to be the thing to do for "mainstream" youtube game reviewers these days.

Ya, I guess that sounds a bit like VOTS.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When imweasel has an opinion, and a half-valid one at that, everyone is calling him an idiot, BUT when Roguey spews retarded shit every day I don't hear a pip out of you guys. You know who you are and you are all fagots.

Roguey is controversial but always insightful. This guy's just trolling.

Arkeus

Arcane
Roguey actually gives specific quotes and data for where her opinions come from, not just state things without any kind of reasoning.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, she (I'm still not sure if Roguey is a she, a he, or perhaps a polyamorous heteromollusc... not that it matters) doesn't always provide hard data or reasoned explanations. Sometimes it's just a load of nonsense and smokescreens. Still, the being called Roguey didn't resort to "fuck you morons" before even hitting 50 posts, so that's a point in the being called Roguey's favor.

hiver

I especially liked the "you are all aggressive and throw hissy fits!!!" right after:

You are all: :hearnoevil: Todd Howard Ha duuuuuuuuuhuhuh huhhhhhhhh duhhhhh Skyrim loving hduuuuuuuuuuh hadudhud udue duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhu du retards. had uuududhhhhhhhhhhh. Because the game uses had uhhhhd duhhhhhhhhhhhh da duuhhhhh dha duhhhhhhhhhhhh comabt xp and haddddddddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuu hdhdh haduhhhhhhhh quest xp. lol

DraQ

Arcane
When imweasel has an opinion, and a half-valid one at that
No.

When imweasel repeatedly fails to indicate that he has in any way received opposition's arguments, and keeps repeating inane shit, including retarded strawmen that have actually been addressed and *thoroughly* rebuked in posts he is supposedly responding to (like the "boohoo remove loot to, lol"), then the only sensible conclusion is that getting through his thick skull and reaching little malformed brain of his that may even not be there with anything short of elephant gun is an effort doomed to fail.

At this point you may as well try to have some fun.

As for Roguey...
Roguey has been PMS incarnate since I don't know when, so nihil novi sub sole.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/415343842913447126
Josh Sawyer said:
Quite a while ago you discussed with us how you professionally detach personal feelings for a project because at the end of the day, it's your job and you're a professional and you don't "own" the game. Do you still feel the same with Project Eternity?
Yes. Project Eternity belongs to Obsidian and was backed by individual gamers based on what we said we were going to give them. It is definitely not "mine", but I am responsible for directing it.

http://www.formspring.me/GZiets/q/415381361126302028
George Ziets said:
Do you think the PE setting would lend itself to divine level game play in the future?
At this point, it’s too early to say for sure. Something like that might be possible, though probably not in quite the same way as the Forgotten Realms.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I've never played a divine level campaign, can't really imagine what kind of encounters you would face there. Also, high level D&D is also not really my cup of tea. Is there some sort of compendium where one can read through such a session other players had? Would be interested reading it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You can always start a thread about it in the appropriate subforum of RPGnet. You'll likely receive numerous replies stuffed full of comprehensive answers and/or links.

I stopped playing Dungeons & Dragons shortly after the debut of 3E, because an acute revulsion for gnat-to-demigod level- and class-based tabletop systems (not to mention high fantasy settings) crashed down on me quite suddenly. I stuck to science fiction settings and GURPS/BRP/Silhoutte/whatever from then on. Unfortunately for me, D&D is the WoW of tabletop gaming—it's what everyone plays (and typically all they know how to/want to play), so the lack of players led me to become bitter and quit playing tabletop RPGs altogether.

Even so, I do still remember what "epic level" D&D is like, especially from 3E onward: A complicated, bloated mess of prestige classes, notations, and extremely clunky combat.

If you do visit RPGnet, do not stray from the tabletop subforums, or you will choke to death on otherkin love-ins, feminist propaganda and more white knights than you'll find in a fucking chess board manufactory.

Lord Andre

Arcane
No.

When imweasel repeatedly fails to indicate that he has in any way received opposition's arguments, and keeps repeating inane shit, including retarded strawmen that have actually been addressed and *thoroughly* rebuked in posts he is supposedly responding to (like the "boohoo remove loot to, lol"),

You haven't addressed shit. He said:

1. The satisfaction of winning a hard fight is partly dependent on xp.
2. If there is a chance the enemy has a rare or powerful item, I will kill him regardless.

These are valid points. Your thorough rebuke was "No, no, it's all right. It's better this way. I said, it's all right ! Shut up !"

Now, of course quest-only xp is better and would be preferred, but there are some draw backs and these issues can only be addressed through good game design. It's the kind of thing that can break a game if implemented poorly.

In conclusion, just because you're right doesn't mean his points are stupid, and.......Roguey apologists together with Sawyer apologists together with apologists everywhere should go suck donkey dick forever and the world would be a better place. and donkeys would be happy too. ;)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've never played a divine level campaign, can't really imagine what kind of encounters you would face there. Also, high level D&D is also not really my cup of tea. Is there some sort of compendium where one can read through such a session other players had? Would be interested reading it.
Could work if you do something along the lines of Mask of the Betrayer, but even more "epic" - taking down demons, demigods and all that sort of stuff instead of mudkips. You could have quests where instead of deciding property disputes between individuals, you could decide the fates of entire worlds. It's really just a matter of how you present the scale of events involved, and continue to keep combat interesting once you can basically move mountains with your fists. Like D&D you could also put more focus on things like questions of governance and morality, instead of adventuring, maybe even make strategic decisions in deploying resources more important than the standard combat gameplay.

Captain Shrek

Could work if you do something along the lines of Mask of the Betrayer, but even more "epic" - taking down demons, demigods and all that sort of stuff instead of mudkips. You could have quests where instead of deciding property disputes between individuals, you could decide the fates of entire worlds. It's really just a matter of how you present the scale of events involved, and continue to keep combat interesting once you can basically move mountains with your fists.
But that is not really going to work with DnD rules. There are ways to do what you just described and it has been done .They call it strategy games.

DraQ

Arcane
No.

When imweasel repeatedly fails to indicate that he has in any way received opposition's arguments, and keeps repeating inane shit, including retarded strawmen that have actually been addressed and *thoroughly* rebuked in posts he is supposedly responding to (like the "boohoo remove loot to, lol"),

You haven't addressed shit. He said:

1. The satisfaction of winning a hard fight is partly dependent on xp.
2. If there is a chance the enemy has a rare or powerful item, I will kill him regardless.
And I said:
Second, any other rewards are required for consistency reasons and make sense as in-universe motivation for killing stuff. XPs don't, as they are decidedly extraneous to the world, and serve more as gameplay driving metagame tool.
Before.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
But that is not really going to work with DnD rules. There are ways to do what you just described and it has been done .They call it strategy games.
Then it's good they're using their own custom-made ruleset, no?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not sure if retarded.

Things like moving mountains with fists or their equivalents hardly are done with the same rules as things like fighting bandits. Yeah I know hard to imagine.
Let's go nice and slowly, here...

If Obsidian is not bound by using an existing ruleset...

And Obsidian has full creative control over their intellectual property, including gameplay style...

Then Obsidian are free to improve upon many of the issues that exist in high-level tabletop play, especially situations where the computer interface and processing power would make large-scale operations much more feasible.

DraQ

Arcane
I am repeating myself for the sake of general understanding. What is wrong with this argument?
That it misses the point.
Care to explain?
Unless you're doing a simplistic slasher (where there is no wrong combat), the problem isn't that combat XPs encourage combat, the problem is that they encourage wrong combat.

And if you want low-level concrete character growth mechanics instead of high-level abstract one, then use based is even more low-level, shares many of the same problems, but offers more potential tool to control unwanted behaviour.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Kirtai

Augur
It is best played like a strategy game with huge focus on story; something like in PST (no focus on combat) or like in B&W. Hence a concept of a RPG ruleset there would be of little value.
Maybe basing it on a story focussed Populous or even Dungeon Keeper (weak, newbie god) style game would work even better.

God games depicting godlike play. Who'd'a thunk? :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Josh Sawyer disappoints a storyfag: http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/415604236269677636

Josh Sawyer said:
As someone who was not really good at the combat in IE games will I be able to put it on "easy" mode and still play the game for the story?
We're designing the game for people who enjoy the challenge of combat, but different people have different capabilities. If you don't like combat at all, PE will probably not be enjoyable. We consider tactical combat to be a core component of the game. I would like to focus most of our difficulty increases around changing the staging of the encounter, primarily what enemy combatants are present and how they are positioned. At lower levels of difficulty, you will often have fewer enemies to deal with, which can make the challenges less exacting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom