Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Odd quirks you have while playing RPGs

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I normally play RPGs with the sound muted, with music playing on my phone or on another window. As a result, I now associate every RPG with a real life song.

Underrail is Ennegi by Aq Bure.
Dark souls is Make Fire Catch the Fly by Helloween.
Arcanum is Jesus Built my Hotrod by Ministry.
ELEX is Silent Cry by Chris Bay.

I once tried to play Underrail while listening to Ministry, and it felt wrong. I had to switch to more cockroach metal.
If you do that you miss out on new music and a lot of atmosphere.

grom

Educated
I normally play RPGs with the sound muted, with music playing on my phone or on another window. As a result, I now associate every RPG with a real life song.

Underrail is Ennegi by Aq Bure.
Dark souls is Make Fire Catch the Fly by Helloween.
Arcanum is Jesus Built my Hotrod by Ministry.
ELEX is Silent Cry by Chris Bay.

I once tried to play Underrail while listening to Ministry, and it felt wrong. I had to switch to more cockroach metal.
If you do that you miss out on new music and a lot of atmosphere.
Yeah this sounds really horrible to me. Imaging you're watching the Sopranos or something, but you mute it, chuck the subtitles on, and blast some Slayer.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I don't consider it odd, but I like to drink coffee and tea and smoke cigarretes while playing rpgs, and sometimes I play with relaxing ambient music on my headphones. When I have anxiety attacks or headaches I can't play at all. So I must be in good shape and relaxed in order to play games. Time is important factor too, and absence of light, because I like to play games in dark.

I know, but the battle music ends up getting on my tits due to the repetition, so I don't feel bad about doing it.

If repetition is an issue how do you play with specific "real life" artists? Unless you're listening to their entire discography the songs will be over in a few minutes then the game is muted again.

When I associate songs with games it's because someone in the neighbourhood has the radio on and every station is playing the last popular pop song.

Oracsbox

I didn't think I had any quirks but as I thought about it I realised I only play RPG's at night usually lying on my bed wearing only my underpants and I have no idea why.

In game I always try and get my companions/followers killed if at all possible or at least negative affinity so they shut the fuck up.

I long ago stopped reading in game books for several reasons such as I never remember what I read within 5 minutes and they seldom contain anything useful.

One good thing I've started doing is keeping to character not giving up and playing to the end living with the choices I make and enjoying the game more because of it. Before I'd restart half way to try a different character,choices or build and never finish the game.

Lurker47

Savant
I use weapons/damage types that my character can't use effectively for half of my play-through. Every. Single. Time.

In Bethesda/openworld games I try to roleplay as a dimensional traveling redneck.

Skyrim sucks because they took out the hand to hand skill.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I've got a major autism thing going on for shit I sell. I'll only sell goods to appropriate merchants, armour and weapons to smiths, scrolls and wands to Wizard, yadda, yadda.

I even save my better/unique loot to sell in more affluent areas. For instance in Torment I'll not sell good stuff in Hive market, but offload it at Vrishchika's or somewhere. Do this even though I know she gives worse prices.

Really fucking petty thinking about it.

laclongquan

Arcane
That was too far, Neanderthal . I only go so far as to sell my goods for the most bucks (aka merchant with best discount). Like, if selling 20 items got the most buck before it reduce price, I will wait until I can sell a stack (fallout tactics original and Icewind dale2)

Currently my record is two million and more gold pieces in Icewind Dale 2.

Of course, next chapter I pour out 700k for some hugely overpriced items. And expect to pour more for +5/+4 arrows, as my sniper shoot arrows like burning money.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've developed a few others since I've written here:
1. I prebuff with everything available, at the start of the dungeon/area, instead of buffing with long buffs at the start, and adding short buffs half way through.
2. I stopped listening to the soundtracks of the games I've played before. I just listen to my own.
3. I attack things with lowest eHP first, rather than last.

Glop_dweller

Prophet

Odd quirks you have while playing RPGs​

I will usually stop and consider how my character might react or behave in the given situation—even what they might say to another NPC in conversation, and then I choose the closest question or statement from the given dialog responses. I know... an odd as hell, bizarro thing to do when I might personally want to make a different choice than that.

Zlaja

Arcane
Just the usual where I have to keep checking my inventory over and over to make sure everything is in order. And I also have to keep checking the option meny to make sure everything is as it should be there. I'm always worried that the difficulty setting has reset itself.

I also have to make sure that my home is in perfect order before starting a game session. Otherwise, I can't focus properly. None of this applies only to RPGs tho.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I use weapons/damage types that my character can't use effectively for half of my play-through. Every. Single. Time.

I'm the inverse, I will refuse to do this - even if I am fighting something that has 99% immunity to it.
I will just accept that they are useless in that fight - and leverage other characters.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
I test the game's mettle by antagonizing and killing every NPC I meet as soon as possible during my first playthrough

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I try to find what I can to enjoy about a game I stead of bitching online about it.

I start new characters every time I come back from a long break from playing a game. Even in games with good journal systems I can’t stand starting in the middle of the adventure.

Zlaja

Arcane
I test the game's mettle by antagonizing and killing every NPC I meet as soon as possible during my first playthrough
You must be fun at parties.

I start new characters every time I come back from a long break from playing a game. Even in games with good journal systems I can’t stand starting in the middle of the adventure
Nothing weird about this. Super common for sure.

I try to find what I can to enjoy about a game I stead of bitching online about it
Now, THIS is weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom