Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline OFFICIAL "STONES OF ARNHEM" DEVELOPMENT THREAD

BATTLEMODE

Novice
Great news. I'm interested to see how this one improves on Grimoire despite it's shorter play-length.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
The Penisaurus needs to be a well-hidden Eldritch abomination Easter Egg, maybe in some alternate dimension of insanity.

somerandomdude

Learned
Hey, Grimoire is great, I paid full price for the game when it launched (it was $39.99 or $34.99, I forget), and I got 140 hours out of it. I can't complain at all. I don't have a problem paying full price for Stones of Arnhem either. Grimoire beats the hell out of trash games like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, and Final Fantasy XV.

somerandomdude

Learned
I will fight until my dying breath to keep this game from being released.
And if it does, I will get all my tranny friends to review bomb the shit out of it.

There's LGBTQTXHFOASP+ (forgot the rest, it's honestly as long as the pie # at this point, and new ones added too frequently for me to keep up) representation in Grimoire, you just have to be observant enough to see it.

For example, when you go into the equip menu, it becomes obvious that sirs are actually xyrs. Xyrs could have at least had a loincloth or some long underpants to cover up that bush. It's even well trimmed too, has a crescent moon trim facing upwards, so it's clear that Cleve put some effort into this. The only thing Grimoire is guilty of is incorrect usage of pronouns. So, people need to put this into context and realize that all the seething butthurt about Grimoire is about xyrs being called sirs.

03C0E1F02FC63B654370A811EFCE6CDA779DB6DA

Stilgars

Novice
Hello Cleve,

Obviously, the crowfuning campaigns played a huge role into motivating you to cross the finish line regarding Grimoire. I believe that it was a huge accomplishment to release such a complex game for a one man team, by the way.

Do you on plan on reiterating in order to get enough motivation to get SOA out before you hit your eighties /Australia turns to a barren wasteland?
Thanks

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Great news!
Since I haven't been keeping up on the codex, will Stones of Arnhem be the next game? What happened to the Lovecraftian Horror Blobber and the Armageddon Empires inspired one? Will they be put on the back burner? Or did you ditch them completely, Cleve?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Great news!
Since I haven't been keeping up on the codex, will Stones of Arnhem be the next game? What happened to the Lovecraftian Horror Blobber and the Armageddon Empires inspired one? Will they be put on the back burner? Or did you ditch them completely, Cleve?
Working on them right now. Post-Atomic is coming along nicely now that I have fiddled sufficiently with the stylization of the appearance using unity shaders.

Check out some of the magic realism portraits from the Lovecraft blobber.

lovecraft_horror_port_26.jpglovecraft_horror_port_5.jpglovecraft_horror_port_25.jpglovecraft_horror_port_27.jpg

Left-to-right ... Clergyman, Psychic, Investigator, Occultist portraits. Still experimenting but these are almost perfect for what I was aiming for.

This is the style I was talking about I wanted for the graphic comic book HEAVY METAL style garish appearance of the Lovecraft Blobber. These would be available in character creation. I even have a very creepy looking Lovecraft style portrait plate for the character and their stat bars, icons and info with tentacles etc.

Believe it or not, I have spent many hours experimenting with rimlighting in Unity to simulate the lurid appearance I want for the 3D to match the most colorful horror comics.

hptomb.jpg

Sorry this stuff can take a while with everything else going on but as an Indie I am entitled to have very high standards and not just throw out whatever crap I can finish. I want to craft each blobber I make with this engine to be a completely different genre and radically different from the previous one. I take a lot of influence from the Elvira blobbers on the Amiga which were really good horror games in a crawler format.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I feel certain that in the coming year you are going to be institutionalized again, Reachbaxhander.

Baxander​

Savant · From Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jul 9, 2012
Last seen Aug 14, 2022
:shredder:
Holy cow, Baxander moved to Australia as I was moving out? I would tell you to go to hell Baxander but now that you live in Australia it is kind of redundant.

I think it was a smart move, now you're in a nation of babbling, drunken cretins talking gibberish. You're going to fit right in.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In

lovecraft_horror_port_26.jpg lovecraft_horror_port_5.jpg lovecraft_horror_port_25.jpg lovecraft_horror_port_27.jpg

Left-to-right ... Clergyman, Psychic, Investigator, Occultist portraits. Still experimenting but these are almost perfect for what I was aiming for.
Those look lovely. BTW, are you in need of a composer for the project? Also, I'm interested in what music direction are you thinking about for that?

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

lovecraft_horror_port_26.jpg lovecraft_horror_port_5.jpg lovecraft_horror_port_25.jpg lovecraft_horror_port_27.jpg

Those look lovely. BTW, are you in need of a composer for the project? Also, I'm interested in what music direction are you thinking about for that?
That's a very timely question because I spent yesterday looking through my library of music and could not find something that seems right for it.

Was looking for convergence of heroic epic/dark drama and searing horror surrealism and most of my music I own falls somewhere between those categories but none falls right on top of it.

I have tried some things for just wandering around in the blobber and somehow it doesn't quite all gel in terms of theme. The ambient music should be horror but also needs a bit of that detective noir to fit.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
That's a very timely question because I spent yesterday looking through my library of music and could not find something that seems right for it.

Was looking for convergence of heroic epic/dark drama and searing horror surrealism and most of my music I own falls somewhere between those categories but none falls right on top of it.

I have tried some things for just wandering around in the blobber and somehow it doesn't quite all gel in terms of theme. The ambient music should be horror but also needs a bit of that detective noir to fit.
That sounds to me like you need some dark ambient with hints of classic detective noir instruments like the vibraphone, solo trumpet, horn, saxophone, some piano and traces of jazzy rhythms here and there.

I'm going to go full-on shameless shill mode:
Here are some relevant examples of my work. I can do cosmic dark ambient:

Dreamy but not too dark ambient:

Detective noir themes:

Bluesy themes (disregard the YM2612 instrumentation):

I'm interested in producing music for a Lovecraftian project like this. If you're willing to give me a chance, we could continue the discussion in private. My music-related email is maxstack@gmail.com. If not, best of luck with your projects.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom