Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official Tyrian Appreciation Thread

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member

SilentMRG

Literate
There's the Nintendo 3DS version.
I definitely didn't know this version. I remember reading something somewhere about the GBC/GBA versions and that they were inferior versions when compared to the DOS version. In fact, they weren't very inferior, let's say they were "compact" due to hardware limitations.

Dude, now I have a question that has nothing to do with the subject, how do I react to a post? I see that people react to my posts but I don't see where to click to react to their posts, hehe. Noob question, yeah... XD

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member

SilentMRG

Literate

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I'll try this on Visual Boy Advance. XD
I can only recommend the original Tyrian. Of course, use OpenTyrian.
TyrianGBA.jpg

It works.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Anyone remembers Xenon 2: Megablast?
That game was ported to nearly everything from the GameBoy to the Amiga/Atari ST. I can understand, given the time period, why it was never ported to the PC. It's odd that they didn't port it to the SNES and GameBoy Advance, though, considering the graphics. I would have thought that the SNES or GBA version would have made more money than the Atari Jaguar port.

Anyone remembers Xenon 2: Megablast?
That game was ported to nearly everything from the GameBoy to the Amiga/Atari ST. I can understand, given the time period, why it was never ported to the PC. It's odd that they didn't port it to the SNES and GameBoy Advance, though, considering the graphics. I would have thought that the SNES or GBA version would have made more money than the Atari Jaguar port.
It was ported to the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Ash

Arcane
Anyway, I'm once again reminded why this game rocks - the humour, the weirdness, power management, the fact that weaponry is extremely nuanced for a game this simple, secret levels and alternative paths, pixel art, music, the list goes on and on.

Aaand... Too easy? Try hidden difficulty modes.

Anyway, try listing your favourite 'builds', or something.

Now this sounds like a shmup I can maybe get behind rather than the braindead autistic standard. Usually I just ignore the genre given each attempt didn't go well. Aside from the awesome G-darius - similar case as to this. Tried new and unique things to deepen the formula.

Interesting, it's the Epic Megagames crew including Alexander Brandon.
How's it run on modern systems, DOSbox recommended or what?
Which game is better Tyrian or Tyrian 2000?

Anyway, I'm once again reminded why this game rocks - the humour, the weirdness, power management, the fact that weaponry is extremely nuanced for a game this simple, secret levels and alternative paths, pixel art, music, the list goes on and on.

Aaand... Too easy? Try hidden difficulty modes.

Anyway, try listing your favourite 'builds', or something.

Now this sounds like a shmup I can maybe get behind rather than the braindead autistic standard. Usually I just ignore the genre given each attempt didn't go well. Aside from the awesome G-darius - similar case as to this. Tried new and unique things to deepen the formula.

Interesting, it's the Epic Megagames crew including Alexander Brandon.
How's it run on modern systems, DOSbox recommended or what?
Which game is better Tyrian or Tyrian 2000?
There's an open source version. Play Tyrian with OpenTyrian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom