Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oh god you have to play this

Will you play Pathologic?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes!

• Da

• Oh god yes!

• Kingcomrade will play it too.

• Total voters

sqeecoo

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
So sqeecoo, what about that bit that the reviewer was saying about the game being too much of a chore to play more than once?

Well, your experience might be different, but I've just finished the game with one character, and I must say I'm having a hard time resisting playing the game with the next character, simply because I have exams I have to study for. The game can be frustrating, but the trick is that the events in the game are equally frustrating for your character. There were quite a few occasions where I felt like saying "oh god that's it, I can't take any more for fucks sake", and the dialogue options allowed me to say exactly that. I wouldn't say playing the game is always exactly comfortable, but the game does an absolutely awesome job of making you feel exactly as your character does. I find that very impressive - very few games have managed to achieve that.

JarlFrank said:
Well, the problem in Pathologic's case surely was that they trusted the professional translator to do a good job, but they failed. It's unlikely they intended the tanslation to be crappy since they're now working on an improvement.

Well, if they really hired a professional, they should sue him.

cardtrick said:
On the other hand, squeeco's not being a blind fanboy when he says that the bad translation almost seems appropriate -- it's just about as disjointed, broken, and bizarre as the game's setting, so all is well.

In other news, this game has a fantastic beginning. The "meta" aspect is a little pretentious, maybe, but it's also damn intriguing.

Thanks, I'm glad you agree with me about the translation. I almost see it as a feature, not a drawback.

But I agree, there is a very fine line between being pretentious and being meaningful. However, I think the game delivers, especially on the meta aspect. Oh yes it does. The RPS article says that there are two overarching themes in the game - meat and theater. It says the latter (the meta aspect) is underdeveloped, but I am sure the guy missed a few crucial things towards the end. The theater is even more developed than the meat thing. As I said, I didn't expect too much from the ending, but I was blown away - specifically regarding the meta aspect.

A word of advice though - use the walkthrough. If you prefer, don't use it in advance, but use it to check if you have missed anything, especially towards the end. The RPS article over-exaggerates the difficulty, but the game really does not pull any punches - it's easy to miss extremely important things if you rely on the obvious stuff and quests and don't try to figure some things out for yourself.

The thing is, you probably can't figure out the absolute truth, but it does not matter (I'd have to spoil the ending to explain why). And they also say the Devotress storyline (the third character) adds a whole new dimension to the story.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
cardtrick said:
I'm only an hour or two in the game, so take this with a grain of salt. However, the translation is considerably worse than The Witcher's -- which I agree, was not nearly as bad as it was made out to be.

On the other hand, squeeco's not being a blind fanboy when he says that the bad translation almost seems appropriate -- it's just about as disjointed, broken, and bizarre as the game's setting, so all is well.
OK that doesn't sound too bad. But what about the bit where not everything got translated? Is any of the stuff still in Russian important dialogue, or is it more along the lines of random things you'd hear along the streets ala S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? If it's like that I won't mind. Perhaps sqeecoo could answer this better.

sqeecoo said:
There were quite a few occasions where I felt like saying "oh god that's it, I can't take any more for fucks sake", and the dialogue options allowed me to say exactly that.
Didn't realize it had that. My interest has just risen.

Pegultagol

Erudite
It seems Russia's like 15 to 20 years behind the U.S. in particular in terms of its gaming industry consolidation and trends and it can only mean good things. A lot of people were also impressed by Cryostasis recently and here's hoping that better support in terms of localization helps them find wider audience.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
OK that doesn't sound too bad. But what about the bit where not everything got translated? Is any of the stuff still in Russian important dialogue, or is it more along the lines of random things you'd hear along the streets ala S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? If it's like that I won't mind. Perhaps sqeecoo could answer this better.

I don't quite understand the question. Are you asking whether there are untranslated parts? No, everything is translated. It's just that it's often weird/silly, and sometimes, though rarely, somewhat incomprehensible. Of course, your general reaction to the game is supposed to be "WHAT THE FUCK??", so the dialogue is not much of a drawback.

One example I can come up with off the top of my head is when one of these guys
71746294dcbaf55e0c02f350d74c36eeda4d8579.jpg

(wtf indeed) asks for help, you can respond with "You stupid. Go away." hahahaha that's hilarious. Or you can tell a guard: "Look what I took off this rubber! I made your job". Heh.

But this is how the translation looks for most of the game, though (perhaps slightly worse on average):
url]

Dicksmoker said:
sqeecoo said:
There were quite a few occasions where I felt like saying "oh god that's it, I can't take any more for fucks sake", and the dialogue options allowed me to say exactly that.
Didn't realize it had that. My interest has just risen.

Yep, it has dialogue options, and fairly meaningful ones. You have a fair amount of C&C, and there are a LOT of places where you have one chance to choose which question to ask, and can't ask the ones you didn't choose later, or extract extra information from someone with a good dialogue choice.

EDIT:
Gah, my pics went to hell. Anyway, there is a link to a great LP in the first post. I'm too lazy to do one myself.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe someone should give in and do a LP of it like balor suggested. Preferably a Russian with weak english. The poor english is part of the package.

protobob

Liturgist
Well, I've completed this game with the Bachelor. Fascinating game. The translation is wack but I got the hang of understanding it after awhile (for the most part).

There are so many layers to this game. At first all I could see was the dated graphics but after a while the game unfolded in my mind and became this rich, multi-layered thing, and I didn't even notice the low-tech visuals or the clunky combat or the bad translation. All the hassles were worth it for me.

I'm replaying it now as the Devotress. The translation is worse, but knowing the context of the game already from playing it once before helps in deciphering whats going on, but that said there are a few facets I wouldn't understand at all without the walkthrough hinting at it in this case.

I'll probably play it with the other character as well, just because this world has me fascinated and I want to see all of it's facets. Perhaps I could even do a 'let's play' of it. We will see.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Pegultagol said:
It seems Russia's like 15 to 20 years behind the U.S. in particular in terms of its gaming industry consolidation and trends and it can only mean good things. A lot of people were also impressed by Cryostasis recently and here's hoping that better support in terms of localization helps them find wider audience.
Well the whole world is behind the US in that respect. RPG with C&C from India? Bring it on... oh wait...

Texas Red

Whiner
Are there other such adventure games that have multiple dialog choices, several characters and C&C? Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the genre at all.

How is their new game, Tension? Full of bugs? Does it have the same RPG aspects?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This thread inspired me to order it. I actually wanted to spend no more money on crap games. But what the heck. At 3 Euro shipping and 90 cent for the game, it's not that much of an investment.

From playing the demo I'm already prepared me for what expects me. A bland, broken game with a hint of a storyline in the vein of "I am Legend". Imo the often praised music sucks. Why the fuck does a game like this need techno? Classical music would have been fine, or compare DcotE for a fine Lovecraftian soundtrack.

Anyway what interests me most is the option to put things under the microscope and make vaccines. You can cut out hearts and livers from people. You know I dig alchemy in games. Hopefully this doesn't turn out as dissapointing as walking around the city.

P.S. for me as non native speaker, the english wasn't bad as everyone said. Almost all voiceovers sounded ok. But I got the german version this time, because no one complained about it that much.

Humanophage

Arcane
Not that I'm a huge fan of Pathologic soundtrack, but how would classical music or DcotE dramatic ambient be more fitting? I can understand how Endura-style ritual ambient with Tibetan-style chants would be fitting, but not classical music.

The game is set in a modern derelict urban environment in the steppe, and is more on the artsy than pure horror side. It's not dissimilar to something like Samorost aesthetically. It's like this, for instance (notice the similarity in imagery): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs8-cuj7KCE

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Castanova said:
Where's the best place to buy this game in the US?

GamersGate really

I'm a big fan of Pathologic, so I can only add to the advise to play/experience it. It is challenging and frustrating, but also intelligent and reactively utilizing gameplay elements. It's like what gaming could be "as an artform" if it weren't for all the mouth-breathers.

But it's damned unforgiving. And buggy. And badly translated.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Humanophage said:
Not that I'm a huge fan of Pathologic soundtrack, but how would classical music or DcotE dramatic ambient be more fitting? I can understand how Endura-style ritual ambient with Tibetan-style chants would be fitting, but not classical music.

Forget what I said, I don't know shit about Pathologic, that remark was just based on playing the demo for an hour or so. I just found the music was appaling, techno with drum&bass and ethno bits and all.

Btw, I tried running the DcotE soundtrack in the background, and as you said, it's too dramatic. Still looking for something more befitting.

sqeecoo

Arcane
The game is not buggy BN! I didn't encounter a single bug in my playthrough.

I dislike techno, but I thought the music in the game was mind-meltingly atmospheric.

protobob, I'm also very interested in playing the Devotress, but I'll probably play the Haruspex first.

Hey, do we have spoiler tags?

***SPOILER***
By the way, did you enter the Polyhedron during the last day and talk to the "kids" there?

The worst game I've ever played.
Most of the time you run from one part of a town to another to find some npc, click through his conversation (a few dialogue options doesn't make any difference anyway - minimal c&c, if any), then run back, click through another npc's dialogue, then again, then again - all with a time limit, degrading health, hunger and such.
Also, it's not the translation that sucks, it's the writing that sucks in the first place - and I've played it in the original language. The plot is completely obscure - most of what npcs tell you is like a delirium or something.
Also, the combat is awful. The graphics are ugly. And the much-praised music is... well, just meh.

The only adequate review i've seen on this game is this one (too bad it's only in Russian).

sqeecoo

Arcane
Koshachiy Barin said:
The worst game I've ever played.
Most of the time you run from one part of a town to another to find some npc, click through his conversation (a few dialogue options doesn't make any difference anyway - minimal c&c, if any), then run back, click through another npc's dialogue, then again, then again - all with a time limit, degrading health, hunger and such.
Also, it's not the translation that sucks, it's the writing that sucks in the first place - and I've played it in the original language. The plot is completely obscure - most of what npcs tell you is like a delirium or something.
Also, the combat is awful. The graphics are ugly. And the much-praised music is... well, just meh.

I won't dispute much of this. There is a LOT of running around, although it is much more interesting and dangerous once most of the town becomes infected and very dangerous. On the one hand, it can be a bit frustrating - but remember that one of the main elements of the game is to make you feel as your character does. Reverse role-playing, if you will. The game does this very well. On the other hand, all the running around gives the clearest sense of the passage of time and change and survival I've seen in a game. I wouldn't have it any other way.

The writing is kind of delirious, yes, but that's kind of the point. Your character is also often able to say "what's up with this crazy rambling, is everyone crazy?" I understand this might not appeal to everyone though.
The combat is not awful, but it's not brilliant. It's solid, I'd say. The graphics are on an older engine, but very good in my opinion. Don't be a graphics whore. The art direction is beyond great. I wouldn't listen to the music on its own, but it suits the game perfectly.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sqeecoo said:
The game is not buggy BN! I didn't encounter a single bug in my playthrough.

"I didn't encounter a bug so it must not be buggy!"

Sorry sugar, but lots of people will have stability problems with this game. Though from a technical viewpoint it's not as bad as its clunky gameplay.

Again, I love this game, but it's unplayable for most people.

sqeecoo said:
I won't dispute much of this. There is a LOT of running around, although it is much more interesting and dangerous once most of the town becomes infected and very dangerous.
Well, maybe I'll give it another try some other time (gave up on the game after getting to day 4 or 5). But it's definitely running around that was getting on my nerves the first time.

sqeecoo said:
On the other hand, all the running around gives the clearest sense of the passage of time
There were games where a concept of passing time was executed much better - for instance, "The Last Express", although it's not an rpg. There, events were happening without player's participation, and every character had his own schedule, so you really had to keep eyes on the clock and plan actions ahead to not miss anything or anyone. Here, you just make a rush between the checkpoints. :?

sqeecoo said:
The writing is kind of delirious, yes, but that's kind of the point.
Yes, but take PS:T for example. It's gameworld is equally bizarre on first sight, with its planes, portals, flying skulls and mortuaries and everything, but you eventually understand and get accustomed to it. Here I was just as puzzled on day 4 as I was on day 1, if not more. Still, maybe it's really the point of the game...

sqeecoo said:
The graphics are on an older engine, but very good in my opinion.
I'm just comparing it to other games of that time. Still, character models (especially their faces) leave much to be desired.

sqeecoo said:
The art direction is beyond great. I wouldn't listen to the music on its own, but it suits the game perfectly.
With this I have to agree.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Brother None said:
"I didn't encounter a bug so it must not be buggy!"

Sorry sugar, but lots of people will have stability problems with this game. Though from a technical viewpoint it's not as bad as its clunky gameplay.

Again, I love this game, but it's unplayable for most people.

Ok honey, I thought you were talking about in-game bugs, so I was surprised to hear the game was "buggy" given that I hadn't encountered a single one. I guess I just got lucky on the stability issues. Come to think of it, I did experience some minor slow-downs that shouldn't have happened given the age of the game vs. the age of my computer. But the gameplay is not twitchy, so I didn't mind. No crashes or corrupted saves for me either, and no slow load times.
These last three are the only things I absolutely can't stand in a game. I didn't play Gothic 3 because of them, for instance.

Koshachiy Barin said:
There were games where a concept of passing time was executed much better - for instance, "The Last Express", although it's not an rpg.

Cool, I'll check that one out right away.

Koshachiy Barin said:
sqeecoo said:
The writing is kind of delirious, yes, but that's kind of the point.
Yes, but take PS:T for example. It's gameworld is equally bizarre on first sight, with its planes, portals, flying skulls and mortuaries and everything, but you eventually understand and get accustomed to it. Here I was just as puzzled on day 4 as I was on day 1, if not more. Still, maybe it's really the point of the game...

I understand what you mean, but PST is mostly meant to be interestingly weird, in a "let's explore this fascinating world" way. Pathologic is weird in the "what the FUCK is this" mind-boggling sense. It's the experience you (and your character) are meant to have. I understand not everyone will enjoy it (the game is certainly not mainstream), but it was an amazing experience for me.
Also, note that PST is openly weird - floating skulls and portals are normal in the gameworld. In Pathologic everything is almost like the real world, but the people are semi-insane and there are borderline-supernatural things going on, but you are never quite sure what's real and what's not. This ambiguity is an integral part of the game, and I think this lends it a dreamlike (or nightmarish) quality.
And while the running around is certainly not FUN, I find that running around the weird city with that repetitive music playing was almost a trance-like experience by day ~7 when you become used to it. I feel it contributes a lot to the atmosphere. It's not that I like the running around, but I can't imagine the game without it.

thepickler

Novice
Hi,

I got this game on the strength of the reactions here, but as I'm playing I continually recall mention here in the forum of "constant running around," and so must ask, please, please, please how do you run? Or is this as fast as I get to move?

Also how do I turn on the sparkly trail of glittermagics that tells me exactly where to go and what to do?

Balor

Arcane
thepickler said:
Hi,

I got this game on the strength of the reactions here, but as I'm playing I continually recall mention here in the forum of "constant running around," and so must ask, please, please, please how do you run? Or is this as fast as I get to move?

Also how do I turn on the sparkly trail of glittermagics that tells me exactly where to go and what to do?

Why, you have to equip the magic ring to have the sparkly trail, of course.
Other then that - diary and map have everything you need.

xantrius

Liturgist
sqeecoo said:
[...]
Of course, an absolutely brilliant translation would preserve all this, but such a translation is really hard to get. I'd say doing a great translation is quite a bit harder than writing a good (not great, but good) text.

One reason, I think, why a great translation of Pathologic is hard to get right is that the game employs neologisms in its use of the Russian language , although I'm not aware to what degree. In my eyes it is quite difficult to translate neologisms from one language to another, especially when the said languages are quite different. Just look at Martin Heidegger’s ‘Sein und Zeit’ (‘Being and Time’), a philosophical work that is chock-full with neologisms; the English translation of this work is a joke (the initial one anyway), and this academic medium obviously cares about translation quality. Whereas the Danish translation of this work is “much” more reasonable, and here one obvious reason is that the Danish and German language is very similar in their basic structure, I’d presume just like Spanish and French.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom