Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oh, how I long for a good RPG

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Fucking junkies

Quilty

Magister
Jaesun said:
Pool of Radiance
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades
Champions of Krynn
Countdown to Doomsday
Death Knights of Krynn
Pools of Darkness
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
The Dark Queen of Krynn
Matrix Cubed

There you go Crispy! You are welcome.

How easy are those games to set up and run nowadays? I used to love tinkering in DosBox, but recently I've been spoiled with packs that have everything set up and ready to go, like the ones from GoG. The derp is getting strong in me, I guess.

Ruprekt

Scholar
No problem + the manuals, journals (essential) and clue-books are all at replacementdocs.

re: FRUA ~ There was a guy who adapted nearly all the original D&D modules (B series and more) with FRUA. No idea where to find them now :(

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I feel more or less the same as you, Crispy. I've been replaying the Gold Box games with a bit of Wizardry mixed in between. I played Wizardry 6, PoR twice and started CoAB. I'll either finish the FR Gold Box after or head back for Wizardry 7 - though I'm starting to fondly remember the Krynn games now. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I enjoyed the hobby as much as now. (Also, replaying Gold box games soon after doing a replay of NWN2 OC really puts into perspective how bad that is.) Dosbox is a gift from God. You should use it to weather out the lean times until something more palatable comes along.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That Dungeons of Dredmor thing looks interesting, try that out next month. Or bite the bullet and check out Avadon.

Quilty said:
How easy are those games to set up and run nowadays? I used to love tinkering in DosBox, but recently I've been spoiled with packs that have everything set up and ready to go, like the ones from GoG. The derp is getting strong in me, I guess.
http://www.oldgames.sk/en/companies.php?company=25 I think the exe packs are all ready to go.

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Matrix Cubed and Silver Blades suck :rpgcodex:

The others are great though. Maybe with the exception of the Savage Frontier games, but maybe I was just getting sick of the format by then.
The Savage Frontier games are better than both Matrix Cubed and Secret of the Silver Blades, in my opinion. They aren't as good as Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds and Pools of Darkness, though, but they might even be better, or at least equal to the Krynn series. You might want to try them next time you feel like playing a Gold Box games. It might have indeed been burnout.

The problem with Secrets (and Matrix Cubed, come to think of it) is that it's just so bland and rushed. In a way it seems like a cash grab more than anything else if you compare it to Curse, a game that is probably even better than Pool of Radiance. It has too much combat, too little plot, and falls on the wrong side of the AD&D fun zone in terms of character levels. However, I've had fun with the game. If you play it right after the better Gold Box games it's a real disappointment and probably difficult to get through. If you play it after trying something shit like Oblivion or Dragon Age then you'll realise just how much better the Gold Box formula is, even if the content itself is uninspired. In other words, it's not shit. It's just shit in comparison to the rest.

:rpgcodex:

Though, having said all that, I'm an old-school fag who even enjoys The Bard's Tale.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You should check out the genesis Shadowrun game if you haven't yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HYPY3T_bG8

I'd kill for another game like that. Only flaw was it didn't difficulty balance the various mission types very well, but the pain in the ass ones were worth doing anyways just for the interesting content. And it's fun as hell going from being some poor punk without a clue to a dangerous trio of hand picked mercenaries that can kick in the door on a fucking gang hideout or corporate building and waste everyone.

Fuck, I never realized how awesome that interface was until now. In retrospect, for a fucking old console game with a 4 button controller, that game displayed a lot of information and options very efficiently.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Started playing IWD again today, but online with 2 other friends. 3 manning this shit is gonna be manly. I suggest you do the same, if possible. Shit is loads of fun. Especially playing a Wizard and trolling your friends by slapping their shit.
:mca:

Mortmal

Arcane
I will say another heresy , but who cares. Try guildwars, its a mmo hybrid, you can do it all solo ,customize each members of your party to will, and theres no subscription fee. With all three expansions theres definitvely ton of content, huge explorable areas, its one of the biggest game ever, a ton of character builds possible...
Read the wikis its quite hardcore and idiotproof.
Theres no lolis etc.. its a good fantasy setting art direction , dont expect choices and consequences but definitvely strategy and micromanagement if you want to solo it all.

I will not suggest you the list of 90's pc and amiga games again , you are reading the codex forums since long and if by then you havent played them already ,you are not really interested into them.
You want a modern game , so try this, its not even very expensive anymore , get the trilogy
http://www.dlgamer.com/advanced_search_ ... anguage=en
around 19.99 euros , it will keep you busy for months.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I don't understand threads like these.

"I am really eager for you people's recommendations, but I want to reject mostly anything you recommend."

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The starving is good for you...........................................................................................................................................................................................

Oh, have you tried Lionheart?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mortmal said:
I will say another heresy , but who cares. Try guildwars, its a mmo hybrid, you can do it all solo ,customize each members of your party to will,

They finally allowed you to recruit 7 heroes?

*checks*

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Mortmal said:
I will say another heresy , but who cares. Try guildwars, its a mmo hybrid, you can do it all solo ,customize each members of your party to will,

They finally allowed you to recruit 7 heroes?

*checks*

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

yes 7 heroes, fully customizable, runes armor, etc . Well its kinda the grind to get them their elite armor but its cosmetic as always in guildwars.Trust me you must put a lot of thoughts in your builds to do elite and even master missions , truly challenging.
If you are starting, you begin by nightfall campaign to immediatey get a few heores , heroes are very different from the regular henchmen. You have to recruit them one by one in pve , or you can unlock them in pvp.It has become a very good game now , and they added ton of additionals missions.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MMXI said:
You might want to try them next time you feel like playing a Gold Box games. It might have indeed been burnout.
Thank. I probably will at some point soon. I think they're the Gold Box games I remember the least too (about the only thing I remember is their endings... Gateway's "rush pas the boss" and Treasure's dragon cave), so they're the ideal candidates.

The problem with Secrets (and Matrix Cubed, come to think of it) is that it's just so bland and rushed.
Yeah, that's my opinion too. And I think it's no coincidence that they're also the most combat-heavy entries (and, in the case of Secrets at least, the most linear). It's as if SSI tried to hide the blandness behind excessive combat, and it doesn't work.

Curse, a game that is probably even better than Pool of Radiance.
I've always been torn about this. All in all I prefer POR, but Curse had a more consistent plot, better encounters, improvements to the UI, and so on. But it did away with the huge explorable overland map, and that's one thing I really loved about POR. And it's a reason I liked the SF games - they reintroduced the large map (though I don't think as large as POR).

If you play it after trying something shit like Oblivion or Dragon Age then you'll realise just how much better the Gold Box formula is, even if the content itself is uninspired.
Well, there's always the fact the system is incomparably better than the New Shit.
And besides the SF games also have romances :troll:

MMXI

Arcane
Sceptic said:
And besides the SF games also have romances :troll:
I thought it was only the second one. And only one romance. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom