Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Old editions D&D Adventure Modules Thread (OD&D, B/X, BECMI, AD&D)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
The central plot is a railroad, but this is a module which can be plundered for top-tier mini-dungeons. The first one has a monastery inhabited by shape-changing undead and a few good wilderness locales; the second has "the Great Pass", a fantastic wilderness dungeon, and an evil temple complex that's a lot of fun to infiltrate. Used as piecemeal campaign materials instead of a railroaded scenario, it is quite good.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
The central plot is a railroad, but this is a module which can be plundered for top-tier mini-dungeons. The first one has a monastery inhabited by shape-changing undead and a few good wilderness locales; the second has "the Great Pass", a fantastic wilderness dungeon, and an evil temple complex that's a lot of fun to infiltrate. Used as piecemeal campaign materials instead of a railroaded scenario, it is quite good.

After a full read of X4 and X5 I agree, although I wouldn't go as far as to "top tier" to define the dungeons/locations. They are pretty good, the maps are succulent, some ideas are great. Yet there's little or no consistence in them if you play them "as written". Lacking "ecology" and some bits are completely nonsensical. Certainly they are serviceable to add to your own adventure; I *know* I'll one day put that Evil Abbey + Great Pass somewhere... but they'll require considerable changes and whole sections replaced or expanded.

Some of the encounters are astonishingly silly. In the Great Pass, there is a "forced" encounter near the beginning, "the Valley of the Roc" that justs takes the party and makes it skip the whole Pass! Similarly, in the middle of the X4 module there is this scene where you face the "Master" through a magic mirror which allows the passage of items. He hands you a written scroll... and it happens to be a "pass" that can be shown to 80% of the remaining enemies ito make them ignore you or even help you find the way to the ending.

The whole miniseries has this "unhinged" feeling... some real imaginative guy is writing this adventure, and he gets this amazing idea for an encounter. But after writing the "cool" part of it, and before he finds a way to link the encounter to the adventure and give it some actual purpose (i.e., the "hard work" part), he gets bored and moves on to the next cool idea. "Now the evil guy laughs at you and hands you an invitation to meet him at his temple". I have no doubt this delivers in its intended goal of shocking the players and make the villain look so confident and powerful. But the effect on the rest of the adventure would be devastating: makes the efforts of the players feel pointless, and shows how railroaded the adventure is. Not to mention the "Master" is in no way powerful enough to be so confident, in the first place.

It has to be said: X5 art (by Thimoty Truman) is gorgeous, not the ususal style you find in D&D but that only makes it better. As in X4 and in many other adventures the maps are top notch, but the illustrations in X5 are definitely a step up from anything I've seen released to that date (1983)

Next one I'm reading is B7 - Rahasia. I suspect I'm not gonna enjoy much the plot and "feel", but just by looking at the maps and art I know it's gonna be a worthy read.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It has to be said: X5 art (by Timothy Truman) is gorgeous, not the ususal style you find in D&D but that only makes it better. As in X4 and in many other adventures the maps are top notch, but the illustrations in X5 are definitely a step up from anything I've seen released to that date (1983)
By 1983, TSR had hired Jeff Easley, Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, and Keith Parkinson, who would dominate D&D/AD&D artwork until Elmore and Parkinson departed in 1989. Timothy Truman, an indie comic artist, only freelanced with TSR for a relatively short period, but he managed to create notable artwork for N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God (cover and one interior), U2 Danger at Dunwater (some of the interior art), EX1 Dungeonland (most of the interior artw), X1 The Isle of Dread (the revised 1983 BECMI version), X5 Temple of Death, covers for solo modules M1 Blizzard pass and M2 Maze of the Riddling Minotaur, B7 Rahasia (some of the interior art), and even Polyhedron Magazine.

DD%20N1%20Cover.png
DD%20X5%20Warrior.png
DD%20MSOLO1%20Cover.png
DD%20MSOLO2%20Cover.png
DD%20B7%20Witch.png
DD%20B7%20Water%20Weird.png

tumblr_inline_paokilXFqm1uv0210_500.png
tumblr_inline_paoktbHIIc1uv0210_500.png
tumblr_inline_paokl8QBdY1uv0210_500.jpg

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Indeed Print On Demand at DriveThroughRPG. Quality is decent, not perfect but decent. Foldable maps are just added at the end of the book as regular pages, which is understandable for the low price I guess.

Bara

Arcane
Ha I just had mostly a duplicate order delivered too. Print quality I have to say turned out real well.

Only have one real complaint with one page. The scan of Sundsval the capitial city of alphatia in the Dawn of Empires book is really not very ledgibile. A lot of the just fades into black and is hard to make out.

Thankfully buying the pod came with the pdfs and theres a much bettee colored map in there.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Ha I just had mostly a duplicate order delivered too. Print quality I have to say turned out real well.

Only have one real complaint with one page. The scan of Sundsval the capitial city of alphatia in the Dawn of Empires book is really not very ledgibile. A lot of the just fades into black and is hard to make out.

Thankfully buying the pod came with the pdfs and theres a much bettee colored map in there.

you mean this page?

ojkuxQx.png

The blurriness is from my camera, the book is sharp. Looks fine to me although too reduced to be used extensively. Probably it was much bigger in the boxed set.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
From a PDF version:

9pc8gp.jpg

I could also try scanning my own, physical map from the Dawn of the Emperors box set I've owned for three decades.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
From a PDF version:

9pc8gp.jpg

I could also try scanning my own, physical map from the Dawn of the Emperors box set I've owned for three decades.

That map always bothered me, the mainisland of Alphatia is bigger than the 15 or so kingdoms mentioned in the Rules Cyclopedia put together,and the main empire of Thyatis is so small compared to all the islands it has conquered.They should have made Alphatia smaller all just increased the sizes od all the other kingdoms.

crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
giphy.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif

Bara

Arcane

you mean this page?

ojkuxQx.png

The blurriness is from my camera, the book is sharp. Looks fine to me although too reduced to be used extensively. Probably it was much bigger in the boxed set.

Ah now I feel foolish for not seeing that. Good to know the better map is in the physical book also. But the really bad map scan I was talking is on page 49 of the Dungeon Master's Sourcebook section.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
From a PDF version:

9pc8gp.jpg

That map always bothered me, the mainisland of Alphatia is bigger than the 15 or so kingdoms mentioned in the Rules Cyclopedia put together,and the main empire of Thyatis is so small compared to all the islands it has conquered.They should have made Alphatia smaller all just increased the sizes od all the other kingdoms.

I see what you mean but there's historical precedents of empires like that. Think about Rome or the Japanese expansion, so small compared to its conquests. Persia or the Russian Empire on the contrary were huge nations which dominated its smaller neighbors. It's all plausible.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Ah now I feel foolish for not seeing that. Good to know the better map is in the physical book also. But the really bad map scan I was talking is on page 49 of the Dungeon Master's Sourcebook section.
I checked my 32-year-old physical copy, and that grayscale map was printed too darkly in the first place, rendering a readable unaltered scan impossible. Fortunately, it's never been a problem, since that map is only a de-colored version of the Sundsvall section of the color fold-out map, which is legible both in the original printing and as a scanned PDF.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
From a PDF version:

9pc8gp.jpg

I see what you mean but there's historical precedents of empires like that. Think about Rome or the Japanese expansion, so small compared to its conquests. Persia or the Russian Empire on the contrary were huge nations which dominated its smaller neighbors. It's all plausible.

Many of smaller countries which created huge empires had some kind of technological advantage to be able to dominate others that way like many of the european colonial empires,even Japan in the 20th century was more of an industrial nation than any of the territories it conquered.Rome perhaps is an exception but it wasn't that small,most of modern Italy was cosidered a part of Rome back then and as it reached it's peak it made sure to give citisenship to everyone in the empire and make basically the entire empire a part of Rome(Thyatis btw has some Rome/Byzantium vibes).But there is also the size of Alphatia that is just huge,I don't remember the km but if the other countries are "normal sized" then it will take about a year to travel from Sundsvall to some other cities on that island.BTW it would make much more sense to make Alphatia a small nation that had conruered large territories since it's a magical empire and the magic would be a way to achieve similar to how european colonists did it.Anyway I think it was a bit lazily designed and should have been given more attention.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
If that kind of thing bothers you... I wonder what you think about GAZ3 (Glantri). It is very fun and imaginative, but crazy and disjointed.

After analyzing what I got, and giving it some thought, I think there's two ways you can go about DMing in this setting.

A) The "Known World" approach, that is, taking what is published up to B10... or maybe up to GAZ1, which gives you a low-fantasy setting with clear dark ages feel; Karameikos with its slavic-inspired dark woods, Thyatis as a byzantine-like sea-empire colonizing Karameikos, and a few islands to the far south is all it covered. From anything published after that, you'll need to use caution, and take only what is consistent with this base setup.

B) The "Mystara" approach in which everything printed goes. Flying ships and islands, and anachronism up to 19th century, gnomes building giant robots, connections to our own world (scottish lich with a kilt, french nobles coming from actual France, etc)

I will certainly go with A) because I'll start my campaign around B10. I can imagine running one day a very fun, humorous and silly hi-fantasy game playing Glantri as written, but it's gonna destroy any other type of game IMHO. My Glantri will be a mediterranean-inspired land of magic city-states, yes, but I'll stay away from the gondolas with mounted magic-missile cannons and the atomic-energy devices from the future. Alphatia as described in Dawn of Emperors sometimes crosses lines as well, but nowhere as much and I can easily accomodate it to my needs. Flying ships and cities? Yes, but over centuries of decadence they have lost the knowledge to make more of them, which would make sense given the Alphatian lore. That makes plausible their defeat in the war with Thyatis, too.

Last edited:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
If that kind of thing bothers you... I wonder what you think about GAZ3 (Glantri). It is very fun and imaginative, but crazy and disjointed.

After analyzing what I got, and giving it some thought, I think there's two ways you can go about DMing in this setting.

A) The "Known World" approach, that is, taking what is published up to B10... or maybe up to GAZ1, which gives you a low-fantasy setting with clear dark ages feel; Karameikos with its slavic-inspired dark woods, Thyatis as a byzantine-like sea-empire colonizing Karameikos, and a few islands to the far south is all it covered. From anything published after that, you'll need to use caution, and take only what is consistent with this setting.

B) The "Mystara" approach in which everything printed goes. Flying ships and islands, and anachronism up to 19th century, gnomes building giant robots, connections to our own world (scottish lich with a kilt, french nobles coming from actual France, etc)

I will certainly go with A) because I'll start my campaign around B10. I can imagine running one day a very fun, humorous and silly hi-fantasy game playing Glantri as written, but it's gonna destroy any other type of game IMHO. My Glantri will be a mediterranean-inspired land of magic city-states, yes, but I'll stay away from the gondolas with mounted magic-missile cannons and the atomic-energy devices from the future. Alphatia as described in Dawn of Emperors sometimes crosses lines as well, but nowhere as much and I can easily accomodate it to my needs. Flying ships and cities? Yes, but over centuries of decadence they have lost the knowledge to make more of them, which would make sense given the Alphatian lore. That makes plausible their defeat in the war with Thyatis, too.

I liked Glantri,it's basically a federation of different small conutries so the heterogeneity never bothered me and fit the magical county that it was.

Mortmal

Arcane
From a PDF version:

9pc8gp.jpg

crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
giphy.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
Well if you are up to date with events aphatia, the whole continent, was sunken , read the poor wizard's almanach .You are not nearly as much an autist than me, i am afraid, not nearly !

Mortmal

Arcane

A) The "Known World" approach, that is, taking what is published up to B10... or maybe up to GAZ1, which gives you a low-fantasy setting with clear dark ages feel; Karameikos with its slavic-inspired dark woods, Thyatis as a byzantine-like sea-empire colonizing Karameikos, and a few islands to the far south is all it covered. From anything published after that, you'll need to use caution, and take only what is consistent with this base setup.

The defeat is very plausible , alphatia banned one of their emperor alphak , who survived in another plane and ascended to godhood . He has kind of a grudge and scheming since centuries to destroy alphatia , most of the champion and master modules are about that theme.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
From a PDF version:

9pc8gp.jpg

crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
giphy.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
crazyrobot.gif
Well if you are up to date with events aphatia, the whole continent, was sunken , read the poor wizard's almanach .You are not nearly as much an autist than me, i am afraid, not nearly !

Yeah I know that it was ventually nuked from orbit but that doesn't change anything

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

By the end of 1985, TSR had not only published the first 9 modules in the B basic series, but also 10 adventure modules in the X expert series starting with Isle of Dread in 1981, 6 modules in the CM companion series, and the first module in the M master series. In 1986, the same year B10 Night's Dark Terror appeared, TSR published another X module, another CM module, two more M modules, the first IM immortal module for the new super-advanced Immortals box set (the third end-game in BECMI D&D, after the Companion set's dominion rulership and the Master set's questing for immortality), and the first two DA modules, which were written in collaboration with Dave Arneson and placed Blackmoor in the distant past of the Known World setting. By this point, the territories covered by the modules had spread well beyond the original Known World in the south-eastern part of the continent, the rivalry between the empires of Thyatis and Alphatia had been established as a focus of higher-level play, the link to Blackmoor introduced aliens and advanced technologies, and published adventures featured gnomes building giant robots (CM4 in 1985), magic-users arriving in Glantri from a fantasy version of medieval France (X2 in 1981, inspired by Clark Ashton Smith and Roger Zelazny), et cetera. The Known World was "low-fantasy" only in its low-level adventures.

17116.jpg
17088.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom