Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Old World - historical 4X strategy by Civ 4 designer (formerly 10 Crowns)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So is Neon White and it runs so fast even time stands still.
Yeah, you can make Unity run well, but it requires both competent programmers that know how and enough motivation to do it. Both of these things are lacking in general.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It's the best Civ, but yeah hard to find the time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Woooo Egypt. This game becomes more and more tailored to me personally, lol.

Desiderius

Patron
Sea Peoples getting in there. Never understood why they didn't start with the Oldest World to begin with.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Man can't wait to play a pirated copy 5 years from now when the corporations have finished milking consumers with DLCs and other "monetization" BS and there's actually a complete game to play.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I particularly like how they withheld further development and releasing additional content until the game was out of epic's cope cage.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Man can't wait to play a pirated copy 5 years from now when the corporations have finished milking consumers with DLCs and other "monetization" BS and there's actually a complete game to play.
Yes, how dare this big corporation of 7 people milk consumers with 3 sub-10 Euro DLCs for the best Civ-like on the market.

Desiderius

Patron
Xi's just a tech dork. China's even more corporate than Texas.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There are some wild stuff that can happen with the characters and stories. I'm slowly playing through the Carthage campaign and my bisexual, only son and heir has just turned ascetic, so he doesn't want children or marriage. Talk about a waste of good bisexuality.

Lacrymas

Arcane
UHGXZEN.png

Same for scenario 2. Getting the epic victories is a brutal ordeal and you have to know what will happen in advance to plan for it accordingly.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really like this game, it hits a sweet spot for me. I couldn't really get into CK, but like Civ for just chilling with, so having the little events is nice. Just sucks that there aren't more of them, but doing the Civ thing while having your younger sister try to assassinate your heir and then escape into exile after you stop the plot, so you dump her in prison, adds some interesting flavour to the campaign.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This new DLC seems to be adding a ton more events. But yeah, they add a narrative element to the whole thing, so it's like a story-lite quasi-scenario even if you are just playing a random game and that gives you some context and drive to continue playing. Or you can disable them entirely if that's more your jam. I think I like playing on fewer events more because I don't want to have to deal with the stories every turn.

mediocrepoet

Patron
This new DLC seems to be adding a ton more events. But yeah, they add a narrative element to the whole thing, so it's like a story-lite quasi-scenario even if you are just playing a random game and that gives you some context and drive to continue playing. Or you can disable them entirely if that's more your jam. I think I like playing on fewer events more because I don't want to have to deal with the stories every turn.

How are the other DLCs? I just picked up vanilla on sale.

Lacrymas

Arcane

All of them are great in one way or another. The religion one (Sacred and the Profane) is a must-have imo and adds the most events (350+). The others are mainly about single player campaigns but they also add more civilizations for random games. If you just want more events, get Sacred and the Profane and wait a week for the new DLC to come out.

mediocrepoet

Patron

All of them are great in one way or another. The religion one is a must-have imo and adds the most events (350+). The others are mainly about single player campaigns but they also add more civilizations for random games.

Nice, maybe I'll go in while it's still on sale. I just didn't want to end up paying double for a game I never play and/or hated.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I ...sampled OW before buying the complete edition so I knew what I was getting into ;d

3 others

Scholar
I think that events are one of 2 things the AI plays without (the other is ambitions), and since they're generally beneficial, you get a slight advantage by having them on. Which is perfectly fine for a 4x game, don't get me wrong.

Reduced events seem to be a good compromise. There's still something popping up every turn, but I don't have to get overwhelmed with 5 popups about the grand vizier's constipation.

Desiderius

Patron
I like the game of the week (month?) scenarios like we used to have on CivFanatics.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think that events are one of 2 things the AI plays without (the other is ambitions), and since they're generally beneficial, you get a slight advantage by having them on. Which is perfectly fine for a 4x game, don't get me wrong.
The AI gets bonuses on every difficulty level past the Good iirc, so you getting a slight advantage in another area doesn't really matter much in terms of difficulty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom