Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

One of the shittiest things about Skyrim

KateMicucci

Arcane
tes games are about former prisoner becoming head of every guild, not about some "main quest" shit.
i have completed every guild quest but i've still never completed the morrowind and skyrim main quests. I only completed the oblivion main quest to get rid of the gates.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Well, before the CI part you're not the Chosen One;
Have you, by chance, skipped the initial dream sequence during which you're explicitly told by a Daedric Prince that you are the Chosen One...?
I only watched it once ( but I think I skipped it mid-way ). Yes I see what you mean, but then there are apparently at least 5 other guys who also dreamt of Azura before, and see where they are now ?
"Welcome, Incarnate. I am Conoon Chodala. I was not the one. But I wait and hope. Ask, and I shall tell you my story."
"I was an ashkhan. I led my people against the Akaviri while the Cyrodiil dogs fled before them like kagouti. I quested deep into the strongholds and Red Mountain, cleansing the unclean things in their own blood. I did not heed the counsel of the women, and, to my shame, I craved glory, but never saw my real enemies. My axe and boots are yours, with my blessing."
"I have failed. I was not the one."

"Welcome, Incarnate. I am Ane Teria. I was not the one. But I wait and hope. Ask, and I shall tell you my story."
"I was a holy crusader of the Temple in the golden era of the Tribunate. I contributed substantially to the writings that were later suppressed by the Temple, and now would be called apographa. I followed the Tribunal unquestioningly, to my regret. I never believed in the Nerevarine prophecies until it was too late. Take my humble possessions, with my blessing."

"Welcome, Incarnate. I am Idrenie Nerothan. I was not the one. But I wait and hope. Ask, and I shall tell you my story."
"I lived in the late years of the Tribunate, and behind the scenes, I helped us demoralize, then repel the Akaviri invaders. I knew nothing of the Nerevarine or Dagoth Ur until I took refuge with the Ashlanders. I died a fool, trying to loot ruined Kogoruhn. Here. Take these. Maybe there's something in the world left worth stealing."

"Welcome, Incarnate. I am Hort Ledd. I was not the one. But I wait and hope. Ask, and I shall tell you my story."
"My story — I died four hundred years ago, in the last days of turmoil and unrest after the Empire came to Morrowind. I was a thinker, and not a doer, and though I was marked by the stars, I was not a hero. Take these things of mine. My bones won't complain."

"Welcome, Incarnate. I am Erur-Dan. I was not the one. But I wait and hope. Ask, and I shall tell you my story."
"I saw Morrowind fall to the Empire. I lived through the humiliation of the surrender, swore hatred and vengeance against Imperial and Tribunal alike for their betrayals. In later years, I despaired, and turned to Red Mountain, where I grew old and died fighting the blight and Red Mountain monsters. Take my weapons and armor. I have no further use for them."

"Welcome, Incarnate, Moon-and-Star Reborn, Hortator, Nerevarine, Mourner of the Tribe Unmourned, Redeemer of the False Gods. I am Peakstar. I was not the one. But I wait and hope. Ask, and I shall answer, if wisdom guides me."
"I am a failed Incarnate. So are all these who remain here with me in the Cavern of the Incarnate. I survived the blight, but I fell in battle with an Ash Vampire. I could not master the arts of war. Nor could I learn the ways of the Great Houses. They would not have accepted me as Hortator. Take these few poor things... they are of no use to me."

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Magicka potions in Morrowind are notoriously rare
they restock at every mages guild hall, and the alchemist in balmora has an infinitely restocking supply of exclusive restore magicka potions
What I mean is that they aren't as common as Restore Health potions, though by all means they should be far more common than they are.
One of the mods I made was add them to more vendors because of how rare they are.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
In morrowind thats literally part of the design choice. having to follow directions and navigate the world via signposts is literally what the devs inteded. you didn't get the location of dungeons shown on your map unless you talked to people about the location, and sometimes you get this part by talking to Generic npcs. but again it doesn't happen all the time. if you get lost you're genuinely retarded, and thats coming from me. god knows im the biggest retard ever and yet still i got through it fine. it requires you to pay attention, something lacking in games today. with fast travel you don't really have to pay attention, just teleport instantly boom generic copy pasted dungeon #3125, time to veg out and clear this dungeon.

another thing about fast travel is skyrim fans like to rave about "detailed and immersive world !!!!!" but then proceed to fast travel everywhere. again at that point, why don't you just watch a skyrim story explained video?
Except I'm not talking about discovering a location for the first time (IIRC, Skyrim doesn't let you fast travel to a place you haven't been to yet).
So yeah, if I already know how to reach a cave in the ass of Vvardenfell, why shouldn't I be able to skip the hassle of travelling there?
It makes certain quests a chore to complete.

Funposter

Arcane
Magicka potions in Morrowind are notoriously rare
they restock at every mages guild hall, and the alchemist in balmora has an infinitely restocking supply of exclusive restore magicka potions
What I mean is that they aren't as common as Restore Health potions, though by all means they should be far more common than they are.
One of the mods I made was add them to more vendors because of how rare they are.
I still think it's a non-issue, but I'd raise two points that you may or may not agree with:

1. Not all characters need magicka potions, while all characters need/want health and fatigue potions, and
2. Bethesda seemed to put a premium on Restore Magicka, especially as an ingredient effect. While Restore Health and Restore Fatigue are readily available on cheap and plentiful ingredients (Wickwheat, Saltrice etc.), Restore Magicka is almost entirely limited to rare ingredients such as Frost & Void Salts and Daedra Hearts. It's also present on the plentiful Comberry, but only as a second tier effect.

While I don't think that the rarity of Restore Magicka potions is an issue, given the ease that you can acquire them from the aforementioned Guild Halls and Nalcarya (for MG players), as well as Anis Seloth and Daynali Dred in Sadrith Mora and Tel Mora for Telvanni players. All three merchants infinitely restock with vanilla mechanics, and 175 gold is very cheap after a few hours of playtime. The ease with which you can acquire them is actually what always convinced me that The Atronach is the way to go for magic birthsigns, even without the Spell Absorption benefit.

edit: ignore how poorly written this is

thesecret1

Arcane
Except I'm not talking about discovering a location for the first time (IIRC, Skyrim doesn't let you fast travel to a place you haven't been to yet).
So yeah, if I already know how to reach a cave in the ass of Vvardenfell, why shouldn't I be able to skip the hassle of travelling there?
If you don't learn the lay of the land, memorizing the world and orienting yourself by landmarks, why even have fucking open world? May as well just have a menu pop up when you're leaving town, listing all the locations in the game and asking which one you'd like to teleport to. The open world is wasted on you if to you, it's just something to bear through as you go from location A to location B.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
skyrim-horse.gif

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you don't learn the lay of the land, memorizing the world and orienting yourself by landmarks, why even have fucking open world? May as well just have a menu pop up when you're leaving town, listing all the locations in the game and asking which one you'd like to teleport to. The open world is wasted on you if to you, it's just something to bear through as you go from location A to location B.
Why the fuck are you so hung up on how other people play the game? Are you retarded? Notice how you have not addressed my point at all.

And yes, to me it is a complete waste of time to walk through empty roads, particularly those of Morrowind which are as static as they get (e.g. from Moonmoth Legion Fort to Balmora there's not a single encounter, and if you take the road from Seyda Neen to Pelagiad, there's only one obligatory encounter; that's how predictable that game's roads are). Why would I want to subject myself to that repetition whenever I want to go from point A to B in any case? Unless I'm looking to level up my skills, or take in the scenery (lol), there's no reason to.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Travelling on foot would be worthwhile if the combat was enjoyable, there was variety in the locations and enemies, and if there was good stuff to find like rare items and quests. But ES games don't have any of those things, and it still sells 30 million copies because people are low standards retards, ensuring that this will never improve. Only get worse.

They are in a race to see how much they can strip out and still get away with it. It is an obvious trend over multiple games and decades. But the public is too retarded to see trends, they don't even know what it means. Fucking animals.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Why the fuck are you so hung up on how other people play the game? Are you retarded?

Notice how you have not addressed my point at all.
And yes, to me it is a complete waste of time to walk through empty roads. If it isn't to you, maybe it's you who are the problem, because any sane person would find it boring as hell. Classic walking simulator user.
>complains about me caring how others play the game (which I didn't, learn to read)
>proceeds to care about how other people play games
Maybe discussing Skyrim is too high IQ for you. Maybe you should stick with discussions about which color of Play-doh tastes the best.

Anyway, as I said, open world is wasted on you, as clearly, to you it's just pointless busywork. A tool like fast travel that allows you to skip large portions of the open world thus appeals to you. That's not criticism, just an observation. Perhaps you might, however, entertain the notion that in such a case, your opinion on an open world RPG might not be very relevant? You're like the people that welcome the "skip combat" button in RPGs since they only care about the story.

KateMicucci

Arcane
i dont see much difference between fast traveling from the map menu and fast travelling from the cart/boat/silt strider menu except that the latter will involve me spending 30-120 extra seconds walking to the fast travel vendor over and over again.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Why walk when you can ride.
But why ride when you can FLY!
Cue the custom Jump and Levitation spells. Make a custom Jump spell or Fortify Acrobatics with an insanely high factor and fly from one end of Morrowind to the other.

Is there a decent Levitation mod for Skyrim, by the way?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
>complains about me caring how others play the game (which I didn't, learn to read)

You clearly do, because you think it's incompatible to have an open world with fast travel. When they are perfectly compatible: if I want to skip the hassle, I do it. If I don't, I will walk. What's so hard to understand about that? Your simpleton mind can't understand the duality of open world locomotion.

IMPERIVM RECTVM

Literate
Perks and linear skill system should have been combined. Magic and combat should have been like in Morrowind. Also cities and towns are very shallow and underpopulated. It has everything but nothing good, hence modders keep trying to fix the game but no avail.

thesecret1

Arcane
You clearly do, because you think it's incompatible to have an open world with fast travel. When they are perfectly compatible: if I want to skip the hassle, I do it. If I don't, I will walk. What's so hard to understand about that? Your simpleton mind can't understand the duality of open world locomotion.
"If I want to skip the hassle, I will press the skip combat button. If I don't, I'll fight. What's so hard to understand about that?"

I will try to explain in simple terms. Open world is one of the core features of an open world RPG. Skipping it via fast travel is like playing DOOM and not fighting any enemies, instead just running to the end of the level as fast as you can. Can it be done? Sure. Are there people out there who prefer this sort of playstyle? Possibly. Should devs cater to such playstyles? Fuck no! It only incentivizes shit design, which can already be seen with Bethesda, with the open world being blander and shittier garbage with each new game they shit out, because "players will just fast travel everywhere anyway". Why even have an open world then? Why bother with it if all it's gonna be is some bland mess that the player is going to ignore, as he'll just follow the location marker on his compass (a trip he will make once, only fast travelling afterwards)? Fast travel is directly responsible for the open world being shittier, and is a hallmark of decline.

That doesn't mean I have an issue with how you play the game. If the game had no fast travel and you modded it in, I would probably wonder why you're playing an open-world game if you just want to skip the open world part, but I wouldn't mind it in the least – you do you, it doesn't affect me at all. But when a core feature of the game becomes shittier due to devs utilizing a crutch of a mechanic that runs counter to a core feature of the game, then I do mind. Because that's pure decline.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It only incentivizes shit design, which can already be seen with Bethesda, with the open world being blander and shittier garbage with each new game they shit out, because "players will just fast travel everywhere anyway"

I've already addressed this and explained why it's nobody's fault that Bethesda decides to be a terrilbe developer. Just because I don't feel like walking to the asshole of the world every now and then doesn't mean I want a game designed entirely around fast travel.

Kalon

Scholar
i dont see much difference between fast traveling from the map menu and fast travelling from the cart/boat/silt strider menu except that the latter will involve me spending 30-120 extra seconds walking to the fast travel vendor over and over again.
One is a convenience feature and the other is more a gameplay feature.
More significantly, the former lets you travel to any marked location whereas the latter only lets you travel to civilized areas and you have to go to remote caves/ruins/dungeons by yourself.
Imho it makes a rather important difference on how big and hostile the gameworld can feel.

SimTrY

Literate
because one is lazy and uninspired, and the other is tangible and part of the world your inhabiting. if you can't spare 30 seconds theen you probably shouldn't be palying any videogames. you clearly have more important things to do than spend 30 seconds using the fast travel options in game.

Kalon

Scholar
as he'll just follow the location marker on his compass
Well of course it's going to be bland if the player has his eyes riveted to the quest compass and the gameworld i just a peripheral (not sure on that one) blur. It's much less bland if you disable the compass completely.

KateMicucci

Arcane
because one is lazy and uninspired, and the other is tangible and part of the world your inhabiting. if you can't spare 30 seconds theen you probably shouldn't be palying any videogames. you clearly have more important things to do than spend 30 seconds using the fast travel options in game.
might as well say that i shouldnt be playing video games if i dont have time for unskippable cutscenes

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom