Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Open Call for Reviews

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks good, but what does "Tales of the Beyond" have to do with computer role-playing games? I may be wrong, but it just sounds like (too much of) a generic fantasy title to me.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks good, but what does "Tales of the Beyond" have to do with computer role-playing games? I may be wrong, but it just sounds like (too much of) a generic fantasy title to me.
It has nothing to do with RPGs. It's probably just placeholder based on the center artwork.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Twilight_World
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somewhere_Far_Beyond
Well that's not entirely true. Blind Guardian made a song for Sacred II, which is some sort of action-RPG as I understand it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
A needed a "Tales from X" or "Y Tales", and Blind Guardian gave me beyond. That's my reasoning. :3

Of course, I'm still looking for a better title, but I think the imagery is what I was looking for. My previous idea was a dungeon full of characters from various games:

tUiZMNI.png
But I think this new one goes better with the fact that various fans are telling their stories...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
how about

THE RPG CODEX
~The sophisticated enthusiast's guide to computer role-playing games~​

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ah, my bad. I didn't realize it was just a placeholder title.

Anyway, I think I like "Quest for XP" or whatever it was someone suggested earlier. Exp is usually associated with RPGs, so the title is immediately relevant.

Basically, anything that has to do RPGs, be it exp, leveling up, C&C, loot, or whatever. Or "you must gather your party" :P

EDIT: I also like the idea of simply calling it "A Guide" or "Companion", without any additional title (except maybe to point out the time span, like "35 years of...")

Guar

Novice
Project: Eternity
Tales from the Basement Vault: A Computer RPG Compendium

:kingcomrade:

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
I liked Tales from Beyond :(

Reminds me of Tales from the Far Side a bit though.

What about

The CRPG Fans' Handbook
Tales from 35 Years of Computer Role Playing Glory​

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
enthusiasts > fans
guide, companion > handbook

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tales from suits gay as hell, sorry, had to say it.
I'm an expert on gay things, such as power metal.

Monty

Arcane
Worlds Apart
A Guide to 35 Years of Computer Role-Playing
Double meaning obviously. The alternate worlds people enter while gaming, as well as the 'worlds apart' phrase meaning difference. 'Skyrim and Wizardry I are worlds apart'.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
I'm not so sure about including the "35 years" bit in the title. Won't it make updating it later a bit awkward?

Servo

Arcane
I'm not so sure about including the "35 years" bit in the title. Won't it make updating it later a bit awkward?

Well it sounds a lot better than

The Codex of
Computer Role-Playing Games

Tales from an Indeterminate Amount of Time of Adventures​

How about

The Codex of
Computer Role-Playing Games

Tales from a Lifetime of Adventures​

Or translated for Jasede

Penis
Homosexual Gay Time

Gay Homosexual Faggotry Adventure

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't like the 35 years subtitle.

Codex is a nice word, but it's in our face all these years, so I don't know.

I prefer Book or guide in the title and a maybe a bit of humor. Let me re-post my tweaked suggestion :

The Adventurer's Guide to Computer Role Playing Games.
Don't Panic.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't like the 35 years either.

Maybe something like A Neckbeards Field Guide to Computer Role Playing Games.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
felipepepe I could do Freedom Force and maybe Wizardry VI. The latter with the caveat that I'm currently playing through it as my first Wizardry game, so I don't know if you'd prefer a veteran of the series reviewing it?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe I could do Freedom Force and maybe Wizardry VI. The latter with the caveat that I'm currently playing through it as my first Wizardry game, so I don't know if you'd prefer a veteran of the series reviewing it?
To be honest, having a guy writting that he never played a Wiz game before, but loved W6 might be cool. How about you do Freedom Force first, finish W6, and then we see how you feel about it?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
felipepepe
Maybe I can convince professional writer Jaz to review
Witchaven
Battlespire

if she gets her all time favorite
Cybermage: Darklight Awakening
too.

What do you say?

PS:
I think Jasede qualifies for Wizardry 6.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom