Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Orthographic camera

Should VD add an orthographic camera?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Severian Silk

Should AoD have an optional orthographic camera? You should know what it is by now if you've been following the threads in this subforum.

I'll just quote denizsi:

denizsi said:
Some screenshots for comparison from UFO:AI:

perspective projection:
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Parallel projection:
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Beside the nostalgia value, I find it a lot more easier to control and adjust the camera to my liking in parallel prj. games. Perspective overview is a mess compared to it in my opinion. Finally, it's not something that requires complete re-writing of 3D api but a formula in it (though this would probably depend on the engine architecture). It was also added to UFO:AI as an afterthought in one of the updates.

Fez

Erudite
No, the isometric one it has already will do fine.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Now I don't know what isometric means anymore, really.

Look, as long as it is possible to fix the camera so that the game looks like X-COM or Solstice I will be happy.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, it IS somewhat important. Please not another Prelude to Darkness debacle! The NWN camera was perfect, use that as a model.

Jora

Arcane
Jasede said:
Well, it IS somewhat important. Please not another Prelude to Darkness debacle! The NWN camera was perfect, use that as a model.
VD has said that the camera works better than in PtD.

I voted "no" because I want them to focus on content and maybe, just maybe eventually release the game (!!). The camera in NWN was fine and you could even get used to the one in in PtD as well, so there's no need for another point of camera view.

galsiah

Erudite
Jasede said:
The NWN camera was perfect, use that as a model.
No it wasn't. Such a versatile camera choice in a real time game leads most players to choose the most pragmatic angle/zoom for their party (usually a wide field of view, so as to get early warning of danger). The most pragmatic camera angle usually isn't the most aesthetically effective - so most players end up gaming the view to the detriment of any artistic experience.

For NWN it would have made more sense to stick with one view, since that way a designer can find an effective view, and tailor the level of challenge to that view. Leaving this decision to the player only makes any sense where there's no gameplay advantage to any view - so he can choose the one he likes on the basis of aesthetics and convenience.

For AoD, this could be an issue in exploration - since it's real time (right?), and I guess that some combats are initiated by proximity (??). Within combat, it might make sense to allow view switching. Outside combat, I'm not sure it does. First you have the NWN issue of creating a pragmatism/aesthetics conflict for the player. Second, you have the extra work of making sure the artwork is effective, defect free, and not misleading from any angle/zoom.
A more versatile camera is a reasonable option, but there are downsides.

With regard to an orthogonal perspective, I don't see the point. This isn't a squad based tactics game - it's not even party based. There's no gameplay utility in making sure the player has an objective overview on positional arrangements, or that he has a clear idea of lines of sight from many angles. More views mean more testing, and less opportunity to specialize the artwork.

On balance, I'd probably prefer no orthogonal view. It's more development work (art+testing) for no real gain that I can see. There's a strong argument for it in a UFO type game, but I don't see it here. [beyond the usual "It's an OPTION - you don't have to use it!!1!" nonsense]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom