Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Patching Planescape Torment with Vista

tgray88

Novice
I tried to use the fix patch, but when I extracted into the "override" folder for PST it said "cannot create *file name*. Access denied."

I'm using the 2 disk Planescape Torment cds, btw.

Thanks for your help.

tgray88

Novice
I know it sucks...I didn't realize it would be such a pain when I first got it...

Redeye

Arcane
Why are you patching Planescape with Vista?

I wouldn't patch anything with Vista.

Raapys

Arcane
Vista does work very well once you've spent an hour or two configuring it, disabling all the shitty and unnecessary features and hand-holding it has.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
WhiskeyWolf said:
I wouldn't exacly call it "blind".

Let me guess, you either installed it on a underpowered system or the original release of Vista didn't recognize all your drivers, right?

Raapys said:
Vista does work very well once you've spent an hour or two configuring it, disabling all the shitty and unnecessary features and hand-holding it has.

I just disable UAC. Other changes I make are problems I have with Windows in general. Like the fucking shitty start menu that's been used since Windows 95. Programs throw shit in there wherever the hell they want and it becomes a giant pain in the ass to find things unless you waste a bunch of time to constantly sort it. At least with Vista it doesn't fill up your entire screen with little sub-menus.

Raapys

Arcane
I also disable signed driver check, the silly default theme, and stuff like superfetch and file-indexing services. Makes it almost feel like good old Win98.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Let me guess, you either installed it on a underpowered system or the original release of Vista didn't recognize all your drivers, right?
No and no.

My friend asked me to help him install Vista on his now PC that I can assure you is very-vista-capable and had no driver problems - this is what I did but after two days the os got some error and had to be installed again.

My friend is your average user, after two weeks of using Vista he got fed up with it and asked me to reinstall XP.

Way to go Microsoft for making this irritating, user-unfriendly OS.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I suppose I'm not an average user, but I don't know how you can fuck up Vista in two days and require a reinstall--especially when you're capable of using XP and not fucking it up. The biggest legitimate complaint about Vista that I can think of is that it's too similar to XP. There's really nothing there to warrant spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade.

Unless you want to go 64-bit. XP-64 is shit.

Raapys said:
I also disable signed driver check, the silly default theme, and stuff like superfetch and file-indexing services. Makes it almost feel like good old Win98.

I like superfetch. Instant loading Firefox is always nice. I can see disabling file-indexing services if you don't use the start search, but why do you disable signed driver check? Do you beta test drivers? Use unofficial drivers?

Melcar

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
I suppose I'm not an average user, but I don't know how you can fuck up Vista in two days and require a reinstall--especially when you're capable of using XP and not fucking it up. The biggest legitimate complaint about Vista that I can think of is that it's too similar to XP. There's really nothing there to warrant spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade.

Unless you want to go 64-bit. XP-64 is shit.

People never really learned how to use computers it seems. Good for us tech. support guys :o .

Raapys

Arcane
There's been a few programs I've tried to use which required me to install unsigned drivers to work properly. At any rate, it's a rather simple operation to just write a couple of lines in command line, then restarting.

Superfetch and file-indexing are both out as I dislike having the OS chew up system resources before I ask for it. Sure it loads Firefox, or in my case Opera, faster when you do start it, but that's only because the system wasted resources starting it beforehand.

Generally though, I just tend to disable all services I find unnecessary.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
isn't vista free, now that widnows7 are on the way, I may be imagining things because I'm drunk though.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think the biggest problem with Vista is without serious reconfiguration it views everyone as a Mactard, but I'm not a Mactard, that's why I have a PC

Raapys

Arcane
Windows is kind of like today's video games in that respect. With every new version, the amount of dumbing-down and hand-holding increases.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
HanoverF said:
I think the biggest problem with Vista is without serious reconfiguration it views everyone as a Mactard, but I'm not a Mactard, that's why I have a PC

Heh. My Vista machine has a dock with stacks, Expose-like window switcher and a Spotlight clone. I'm still looking for something to give me dashboard functionality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom