Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

I've had too many lagdeaths in these kinds of games to ever play HC.

Roguelikes and such? No problem. Online ARPGs? No siree.

Aothan

Magister
for some reason I assumed the Ascendancy update would be sometime in January, well I am about to start in the new league and curious whether there were any changes to the skill tree not previously listed

made

Arcane
Wow, they sure found an elegant way to nudge people towards giving spells other than Incinerate a try.

Aothan

Magister
for those yet to experience this effect, if a Talisman creature has "bonespire" it might be best to avoid attempting to heal over the damage, same encounter type that has already been patched one day into the new league

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Wow, they sure found an elegant way to nudge people towards giving spells other than Incinerate a try.

How so? I haven't been paying attention to changes since I'll be able to start gaming again after christmas. I also haven't tried incinerate and that is next on my to-try list.

T. Reich

Arcane
Aaand they nerfed the quality bonus of several curses.

Fucking Ghudda, and fucking lazy shit GGG. "Balancing" my ass.

Last edited:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Could you guys recommend me a build/attack skill? I'm was planning on doing ES regen build with incinerate but they nerfed it so now I'm not so sure anymore. But the build would have to be some sort of caster, meaning not bows or melee.

T. Reich

Arcane
Try one of the new ones, they're pretty solid overall.

Me and Zdzisiu are currently running contagion+essence drain chaos degen prolif shadows. Pretty fun overall, if a bit clunky. A lot of people are quite enamoured with blade vortex, and a good deal are running that blade rain one as well, with good results.

Radech

Augur
Blade fall into blade vortex seems pretty popular. Saw nugiyen using blade fall, he had around 6k dps in cruel act 4(ripped on malachai though, so your mileage may vary :P), and the spell feels very rain of arrowsy if you enjoy that kind of spell.

btw chaos incinerate actually got buffed since poison stacks are uncapped

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
If you're playing hardcore, yall niggas addin me now

As for skill feedback if anyone's interested, spark is insanely powerful now. I got a really strong levelling build going with crit nodes on the tree. However, the skill is so powerful that I was prone to nearly dying in act 2 cruel to reflect, and its only gotten more dangerous. At some point I'm going to respec into totems once i get other characters further in, but yeah self cast has a huge amount of compounding issues for reflect.

T. Reich

Arcane
always wanted spark build but last time it was nerfed. What actually changed now? I can see that you get more projectiles but still if fighting 1v1 only 1 projectile will deal dmg right?
Use a single-target assist. A 4L vaal storm call or spark should do well, as well as possibly a spell totem with some spell (maybe a simple storm call).

ALso, play smart, stack pierce and projectile speed and skill duration. Any spark that hits an non-destructable obstacle has its "non-shotgun" effect reset, meaning that any bouncy sparks with enough duration/speed will come back to hit the single target again. Well, if you're in at least somewhat walled-in area.

T. Reich

Arcane
Yeah, I think they would.

Also forgot to mention that sparks that pierced the initial target and also bounced off an obstacle, can also strike the same target again.

Aothan

Magister
started again earlier today, and so many Bonespire and Deadhand talisman types, even one group that was next to a Diamond shrine

I'm trying to transition into Glacial Hammer but find the new Frost Blades improvements substantial enough to make this skill very effective

will also be trying to use Determination in place of Discipline this time, I always thought the aura was additive yet it is actually a multiplying effect ("more" instead of "increased"), something I finally discovered in the last league and which gave my character approximately 5000 additional armour

might also try to change the armour cluster with the notable that reduces critical damage to an energy shield with Energy from Within jewel (approximately 72% energy shield, maybe Energised Armour can be used closer to the Templar's energy shield and armour ndoes), though I need to compare numbers to see whether the number of skills points is better used on energy shield, and also if the skill pathways opened are better focused elsewhere

Radech

Augur
So would vaal glacial hammer(ice ring) be worth it for a sparker?, would imagine anything caught inside with a totem would just get melted. bit fiddly to pull off though :P

T. Reich

Arcane
I was thinking of mentioning Vaal GS, but then it's very risky:
1. You need to strike a target with a melee weapon in melee range.
2. You are then trapped with them inside that circle.

Not something I'd want to try to pull on the higher map level bosses.

T. Reich

Arcane
Well, yeah, but fork is also a lvl31 support gem now, nigga.
By the time you'd be able to use it, the newly-buffed spark would be firing a natural volley of 5 projectiles, and you don't want a 0.7x damage multiplier of fork on them, really. Just use echo + fast cast + lightning pene instead in a 4L.

Aothan

Magister
returned to normal after standing too close to the edge of a map (which I would guess served as a type of wall) with 'multiple projectiles' from Leaping horrors causing a remarkably concentrated effect of Arctic breath

as experiences go, I would say this is easily one of the better ways, rather than experiencing overwhelming damage over time, or, as often the case, mistiming Leap Slam because of slight variances in the ground preventing movement (namely leaping to just such a spot)

that said, I don't think I can remake another melee character at this time, the game can be very enjoyable but there comes a point where I can no longer play according to the design and continue to stack defences (i.e. life and the like) so as to keep playing

whilst range might not have as much natural defence as melee does, range never has to stand in direct melee range, which means about 90% of all circumstances where spiking or anything else can go wrong is just not part of the game

and clearly enough, if GGG tried to rectify this difference people would not play (as much), just as melee can be fun but is either more likely to result in spikes and thus starting from the beginning, or, just I decided with my Templar beforehand, I could not continue to develop defences and still enjoy playing as much (which means in maps, the spike is coming, that is just how the game plays at that stage)

I might try a Ranger, briefly, I have not seen the new Lightning arrow skill in effect and would like to see how it works, but as for now this is a good time to wait and see what the new Prestige classes will be like, and then try them to see how the game plays

one thing I did learn, which may or may not be relevant for those want to play in the hardcore leagues, is that a lot of the early and continuing emphasis on defences can be partially alleviated by way of using a Fortify support gem in one's primary or even secondary skill. This ensures a substantial amount of defence at anytime and out of necessity should be incorporated before mid-to-late game encounters (Dominus in the second difficulty onwards perhaps) but can also allow for an earlier emphasis on more interesting skills if one does not really care to take the same defensive pathways and nodes every time a character is being made

other than that, it does seem as though melee has been generally improved, overall dps seemed significant for limited development and support, Glacial Hammer and Melee Splash seems very effective, Shield Charge is a great skill but not well suited to how the game predominately plays, Cast on Melee seems appears to be effective now (with general improvements to both melee and certain spells e.g. Arc) but is probably never going to compare to how other skill designs and functions typically work. However, it still remains my preferred playstyle even as I tried going 'pure' melee for the most part, so with that decided I look forward to the new Prestige classes and how they might invigorate the game and my preferred playstyles for a time

Last edited:
Trying Talisman out. I normally just play self-found standard. Is it over when Ascendency comes out? Do these leagues generally only run for a couple months?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom