Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC coming June 13th

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
This thread is essentially dominated by Desiderius. Did he/her/they(?) finish the game at least?
Nope.

I did get to MareeSu, but it's been awhile since I've fully finished a game.

I don't look it as dominating a thread so much as being surrounded by inveterate slackers. Oh, and stick your fake-shit pronouns up your ass. You know what I am. If I were this butch of a troon I'd be a lot better at the game.

I finally beat it. Long game. I'm very pleased with my trickster build. I had massive reserves of unresistable spells, incredible damage output, impervious saving throws, flawless skills, and quite a few tricks. I ended up pursuing a gimmick of trying to eek out everything I could from Level 1 spells that I turned into cantrips. I haven't done the addition in awhile, but I pushed them into >300 damage per cast territory. With deliberate planning, I think you can get Snowball to max around >400. Kind of irrelevant, but it was an amusing effort.

I did quite a completionist effort, and I'm not sure that I'm going to follow it up with a holy warrior run as planned. I can't say it was better than Kingmaker, but it will be difficult for me to play Kingmaker again. Mythic powers are a hellava drug. I'm contemplating a review, but that might be more effort than I'm interested in. Overall, I'd say WotR is a good, but not great game. I'm glad to have played it, and that the genre has recovered enough to have created it, but it leaves something to be desired despite its virtues.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I just did the wintersun quest as Aeon is quite insane that this quest that i completed 3 times already, gave me resolution using my power AND made the the village Chief survive and have extra dialogue.

I played this game 2 times up to act 5 and once up to act 4 but somehow there's still shit that i didnt saw.. fucking amazing.

Desiderius

Patron
I finally beat it. Long game. I'm very pleased with my trickster build. I had massive reserves of unresistable spells, incredible damage output, impervious saving throws, flawless skills, and quite a few tricks. I ended up pursuing a gimmick of trying to eek out everything I could from Level 1 spells that I turned into cantrips. I haven't done the addition in awhile, but I pushed them into >300 damage per cast territory. With deliberate planning, I think you can get Snowball to max around >400. Kind of irrelevant, but it was an amusing effort.

I did quite a completionist effort, and I'm not sure that I'm going to follow it up with a holy warrior run as planned. I can't say it was better than Kingmaker, but it will be difficult for me to play Kingmaker again. Mythic powers are a hellava drug. I'm contemplating a review, but that might be more effort than I'm interested in. Overall, I'd say WotR is a good, but not great game. I'm glad to have played it, and that the genre has recovered enough to have created it, but it leaves something to be desired despite its virtues.
A lot of ways to get there with Snowball.

Cam11BigBall.jpg

Kind of a unique spell.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Doors are the greatest enemies in this game. I had to retry that fight for like 5 times because my characters got stuck in the door. Then I decided to lure them outside and I got a couple of crits :)

41A857D3F0C8ADB857BCDC60DE725EAC4E29C0C8

3B0ABED3C062E7AB8238ED9B6564AED59F45E07A
54FB8E12AE8FBE328D2BF55CD60A0D39C916EBB7

Moody environmental storytelling. The game should feature this more.

6644452E0E76E545B8886D1487647FFA600F92BD

Doors are the greatest enemies in this game. I had to retry that fight for like 5 times because my characters got stuck in the door. Then I decided to lure them outside and I got a couple of crits :)
That specific door is memorably awful. I don't think I've ever had a clean go of that fight the first time around.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, below is one example of why I think OwlCat's encounters design is bonkers.

Towards the end of act 1 there is one boss.

440D3CE6067F2172C673C846F064B4D524E24677

Then you can you can fight this hidden mob which is level20

0CDAB763EABFEC7EEACEE7063D0B92AD41AD00E5

60727DC8414C00AFC1A1277181155FF9757EA957

And then you can fight another hidden mob.

8111638DC4EBAC692108EFB18E6876D5093C61DB

Maugla (lvl18) >>>> Demodand (lvl20) >>>> Nulkineth (lvl??)

I'm glad that I won the fights after several tries but I don't understand the rationale behind this encounter design. The boss encounter is ok but the Demodand/Maugla are simply rigged fights.

Edit: It looks like these optional fights are part of the Sadistic achievement. Fml.

Desiderius

Patron

41A857D3F0C8ADB857BCDC60DE725EAC4E29C0C8

3B0ABED3C062E7AB8238ED9B6564AED59F45E07A
54FB8E12AE8FBE328D2BF55CD60A0D39C916EBB7

Moody environmental storytelling. The game should feature this more.

6644452E0E76E545B8886D1487647FFA600F92BD
Is that in Gray Garrison?

The point of that fight is to find the (not so) secret passage from the second floor to jump them from the back of the room.
Counterspell implementation is stupid
:hmmm:

Wtf is counterspell, are you mixing up with baldur's gay 3 toro
I'm retarded. I was reading the Pathfinder rules and I thought it's implemented.

I've tried to use Dispel Magic but it never seems to do anything.
This is a game that does require a modicum of reading.

Dispel goes by CL (caster level). Read the Combat Log to see how close you were to Dispelling the effect. Dispel, Greater gives you an attempt for each effect so is much stronger.

Look for items and abilities that boost your Caster Level if you want to use Dispel regularly. It isn't easy but also not impossible and some Mythic Paths specialize in it.

Well, below is one example of why I think OwlCat's encounters design is bonkers.

I'm glad that I won the fights after several tries but I don't understand the rationale behind this encounter design. The boss encounter is ok but the Demodand/Maugla are simply rigged fights.

Edit: It looks like these optional fights are part of the Sadistic achievement. Fml.

It's actually kinda hard to find those fights in chapter 2 (not chapter 1) anyway, you gotta go back to a story location immediately after the story part ends and not progress the crusade another battle or you'll trigger the drezen finale. In my first run I was doing multiple crusade battles at a time so I had already progressed too far to go back. As usual the key is to stack something like Guarded Hearth and suddenly your attack rolls are almost guaranteed to hit.

Desiderius

Patron

You can kill Nulkineth then come back for the others after resting.

There's also a Garg Chieftain you can fight around south. They're all optional but doable with decent rewards so worth figuring out. Owlcat puts them there for players who like an extra challenge but also to make sure you figure out how to suck less before encountering similar mobs more regularly in coming areas so those areas don't turn into a slog.

You should be able to spike pretty high, especially on single-target fights where you don't even have to worry about adds. Abilities you might usually dismiss as too short duration are the ones to take advantage of here. Even one-round abilities can make the difference.

Disciple8 using Shatter vs Maugla.jpg

Demons are not immune to Fear so can be Intimidated then their Defenses Shattered. Don't even need Dazzling Display with single target. Daeran comes with Demoralize.

Sosiel's Domain abilities can give rerolls (Advantage) for a round to other characters or multiple rounds to himself. With Domain Zealot Mythic ability he can do this as a Swift Action freeing him to cast or attack the same round.

Reg Shattering Stringy Defneses.jpg

Shatter Defenses (Mythic) is from the Tabletop Tweaks Mod but you can do the same in unmodded with Reg alone just using Shatter Defenses. This is Unfair Difficulty.

Interrupting Blasphemy.jpg

Garg Chieftain has a nasty spell he casts so a good idea to try to interrupt it (which is something you can do in RTwP that you can't in TB).

Seelah8 vs Maugla TB Core Crit.jpg

This was from some Core testing for a DM who was compaining about the difficulty of this fight on Core.

Crusader's Edge is a really important enchantment to keep up vs Demons. That's where the extra +2 AB and Force Damage comes from. Holy Damage from Holy Lance Domain ability on Sosiel.

At this point Magic Weapon, Greater stacked with regular Weapon Enchant (not sure if it still does). Also has Bull's Strength up. Lion's Call is a Cavalier ability that I wouldn't recommend messing with.

Desiderius

Patron

It's actually kinda hard to find those fights in chapter 2 (not chapter 1) anyway, you gotta go back to a story location immediately after the story part ends and not progress the crusade another battle or you'll trigger the drezen finale. In my first run I was doing multiple crusade battles at a time so I had already progressed too far to go back. As usual the key is to stack something like Guarded Hearth and suddenly your attack rolls are almost guaranteed to hit.
If you just clear the map you'll find them. People get in trouble trying to clear the whole thing in one rest, so once you figure out that you can go back to camp and come back (same with Leper Cave) it gets a lot easier. Doing it that way gives your army time to build too.

Hearth is fine but it's once per rest, not easy to apply while maintaining tempo, and comes with a very big opportunity cost (Domain Zealot, which turns on the good abilities he already has, as well as making Hearth a lot easier to apply when you do pick it up). Against a single target you can get a similar effect with Hampering Hex or Evil Eye at unlimited use.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Hitdices are not really levels, outsider 20 is not level 20, but anyway the general rule is that optional encounters are nearly always harder than the ones you have to win to go through the main quest.

I think they did it to avoid crybabies and it will become more noticeable in the later part of the game than now.

Desiderius

Patron

Hitdices are not really levels, outsider 20 is not level 20, but anyway the general rule is that optional encounters are nearly always harder than the ones you have to win to go through the main quest.

I think they did it to avoid crybabies and it will become more noticeable in the later part of the game than now.

You can usually backtrack at a higher level if you need to as well.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm at the Drezel fight and to be honest after 2 hours of fucking around I'm pretty bored with this part. It's an endless flow of trash encounters ...

I'm probably near the end of it but honestly I don't see how this shit is defendable. It's just a long slog.

volklore

Arcane
I'm at the Drezel fight and to be honest after 2 hours of fucking around I'm pretty bored with this part. It's an endless flow of trash encounters ...

I'm probably near the end of it but honestly I don't see how this shit is defendable. It's just a long slog.
I agree with this actually I find the drezen map to be wayy too long, it drains my soul every playthrough. But people in this thread really like it as far as I have noticed

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I prefer it to the "lost chapel" map, I always found that part a slog.
I guess people are different, I also like chapter IV but so many people don't like it :shrug:

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

Routine fights are supposed to be just that - routine. And you get a ton of rests for the boss fights. First time through without a plan it's long but half of that is just exploring.

If you get up on the wall and take out the Giants that stops the random damage and gives you a road to get wherever you want to go. Can even pick some stuff off from the top of the wall.

Basically need a general plan for each demon type (to attack weakness/protect against threat) and with regular fights just execute it, then spike for bosses.

Keep up min/lvl and longer buffs, then use one min and shorter for boss. Rest when you run out of the former or need to reload latter.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well, I prefer it to the "lost chapel" map, I always found that part a slog.
I guess people are different, I also like chapter IV but so many people don't like it :shrug:
I liked Drezen and Lost Chapel both, but hated Chapter IV. Like you said, different strokes.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I remember not using any online help and trying to figure out how Alushinyrra works, good times.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I used all my buffs on Seelah and all I got was 10k XP and a level up :)

2132D740929CB08A4F037091D568EEFF956A7D15

The retarded thing is that I could not beat the sorcerer Chorussina which was summoning Blightmaw.

And I was somewhat content until I saw this ...

C76720D06166BBBDF4F8C1883860CF9988B8D929

I'm out. I'm not doing this shit again.

EdgyRightWinger

Educated
Patron
1695675245424.png

Kingmaker event: Giants spiders attacking, strange artifact discovered, peasants are revolting.

WOTR event: NPC is having a mental health breakdown due to lack of dilation stations.

Desiderius

Patron
I remember not using any online help and trying to figure out how Alushinyrra works, good times.
When I played it during Alpha I thought it was random so I'd sit there waiting for things to rotate. Looking around while I was waiting they eventually would.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom