Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PB's "Risen" on Xbawcks + screenies

bhlaab

Erudite
Yeah, a bit like the next logical step up (visually) from Oblivion, only more european.

But still that fuckin bloom man

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
The shots look like shit (due to the fucking quadruple-sun-system sky). Whatever happened to detailed skyboxes?

fastpunk said:
I like the screenshots but skyboxes used to be better in the old days, that's for sure.

unreal.jpg

That's more like it. No FPS to date using the latest-and-greatest hi-tech grafixxxx has knocked me off my feet with sheer atmosphere than Unreal had, back in the day; and Unreal used well-designed skyboxes. With a tiny bit of HDR when/where appropriate, combined with skyboxes, they could do it too. Apparently they'd rather waste their time making sure that there are enough baddies to murder and enough sweet lewt to go around or something, than making a convincing atmosphere to play in (in both meanings I'm thinking of).

bhlaab

Erudite
Unreal was a piece of shit but this is the rpg forum not general gaming so Oblivion was also a piece of shit

poocolator said:
That's more like it. No FPS to date using the latest-and-greatest hi-tech grafixxxx has knocked me off my feet with sheer atmosphere than Unreal had, back in the day

story.gif

bhlaab

Erudite
Aaaaa every time someone talks about unreal i become so bored that my brain starts to leak fluid please stop

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
All of you are twats and should go die in your respective gutters. I just meant they did an excellent job designing the atmosphere of the planet using skyboxes, environmental sound, and other similar effects which had the same pull on my even last year, when I had replayed Unreal for old time's sake... but apparently there's a marked disdain for all things Unreal with you people, so I'm going to change the subject to Penises:

(_(_)::::::::::::::::: D

have you cleaned yours today?

Argosy

Novice
For an elitist RPG forum that looks down on the console kiddies and twitch gamers all day, you sure do bitch a lot about the graphics. Personally, I think the screenshots look nice. Way better than I'd expected honestly. I'm a bit worried about the whole 'no loading screens' thing considering how horribly Piranha Bytes fucked up the tech in Gothic 3 trying to do the same thing in it.

As for the 'casual and hardcore' thing, I'd like to point out that they're referring to the controls and interface. Seeing as how every game they've made has had a shitty interface, there's not a whole lot they can do to lower my expectations in that regard. But yeah, after the clusterfuck that Gothic 3 was I'm definitely skeptical. I'm still going to wait until we get more details about the gameplay to totally write it off though.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Argosy.

Your impression of the Codex is very much mistaken.

Plenty of people here are console gamers (DefJam101, Edward Murrow,.etc).

Twitch gaming is not an issue with Codexers in general. Action RPGs are very popular here, especially The Witcher, Gothic, and Diablo.

Elitist? By what standards? Folks here were quite accomodating to Fallout 3, and gladly decided to overlook things that they did not like about it. When Mass Effect came out, response from alot of Codexers was, "Can't say I hate it".

Bitching about graphics? The majority of the gaming population CLAIMS not to care about graphics, but they always do, and the Codex is no different, I am afraid. You can't hold it against the Codex exclusively.

bat_boro

Arcane
Argosy said:
I'm a bit worried about the whole 'no loading screens' thing considering how horribly Piranha Bytes fucked up the tech in Gothic 3 trying to do the same thing in it.

This time the area will be much smaller than Gothic 3's continent (something like G2 + NotR) and I suppose it would be better coded this time so I hope we will not see Gothic 3's technical glitches again.

Argosy

Novice
bab_boro said:
This time the area will be much smaller than Gothic 3's continent (something like G2 + NotR) and I suppose it would be better coded this time so I hope we will not see Gothic 3's technical glitches again.

That's good news. I thought Gothic/Gothic 2's focus on smaller, more interesting worlds that could be fully explored without growing tedious helped set the games apart from other RPGs.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Wyrmlord said:
Argosy.

Twitch gaming is not an issue with Codexers in general. Action RPGs are very popular here, especially The Witcher, Gothic, and Diablo.

Elitist? By what standards? Folks here were quite accomodating to Fallout 3, and gladly decided to overlook things that they did not like about it. When Mass Effect came out, response from alot of Codexers was, "Can't say I hate it".

Bitching about graphics? The majority of the gaming population CLAIMS not to care about graphics, but they always do, and the Codex is no different, I am afraid. You can't hold it against the Codex exclusively.
decline of the codex

DefJam101

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Plenty of people here are console gamers (DefJam101,

Huh?

I don't even own a current-or-last-gen console. I have a PS1 and an N64, that's it. I play FPS games, but only on the PC. Is that what you meant?

Argosy

Novice
Defjam101 said:
I don't even own a current-or-last-gen console.
Cease your lying, blasphemer. We shall dunk thee in water and see if thy body doth float. Should you not sink after two minutes whilst immersed in the lake, you shall be branded a heretic and consorter with console kids, and be burned upon the stake.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
DefJam101 said:
Wyrmlord said:
Plenty of people here are console gamers (DefJam101,

Huh?

I don't even own a current-or-last-gen console. I have a PS1 and an N64, that's it. I play FPS games, but only on the PC. Is that what you meant?
Mistaken assumption based on that thread in which you were debating on consoles and said that the 360 was just a PC imitation or something. Weren't you? Or do I misremember? :?

Selenti

Liturgist
Morrowind skyboxes were gorgeous, one of the few things the new Bethesda got right.

Although I don't recall them in Oblivion... did they get rid of them?

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Argosy.

I'm pretty sure ^ is sarcasim, or I'm missing somthing.

Anyways, Gothic II Night of the Raven is one of my favourite games of all time. All time I tell you. Damn good game. I'm interested in seeing what PB can do. Especially after watching this Indian fiasco. At this point I'm completely assuming that Gothic 4 is going to be a fantastic disaster. It's a trainwreck. I can hear the horn honking now and I'm slowly backing off the tracks. But the damn gears aren't working. Fuck.

But if those PB retards actually get a game built, it's one of the few things I'm looking forward to in the next year or so.

Worm King

Scholar
CreamyBlood said:
Wyrmlord said:
Argosy.

I'm pretty sure ^ is sarcasim, or I'm missing somthing.

Anyways, Gothic II Night of the Raven is one of my favourite games of all time. All time I tell you. Damn good game. I'm interested in seeing what PB can do. Especially after watching this Indian fiasco. At this point I'm completely assuming that Gothic 4 is going to be a fantastic disaster. It's a trainwreck. I can hear the horn honking now and I'm slowly backing off the tracks. But the damn gears aren't working. Fuck.

But if those PB retards actually get a game built, it's one of the few things I'm looking forward to in the next year or so.

I'm currently playing Gothic 1 for the first time. Would you say Gothic 2 and its expansion are better or worse? The game is enjoyable but the setting and characters a bit too mundane.

bat_boro

Arcane
It's a matter of personal taste, really.
For me G2 + NotR is better, although some would argue that the story is better in G1

Anyway, the setting and characters is one of the things that make this game great, imo

Maia

Novice
I love Gothic 2 + NOTR. I am actually currently playing it with the expansion for the first time and it is one of my favorite games now, great improvement on vanilla G2.

I liked G1, but it was very light on role-playing front, quickly grew very linear and also was so horrendously bugged that I couldn't enjoy the exploration fully. Everything that looked remotely plot-relevant, had to be avoided at all costs to prevent a game-stopper.

No such worries with G2 + NOTR in it's current state, except for one well-known bug (i.e. don't ask Lares to guide you to the farm). Everything else works like a charm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom