Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gaming isn't dead after all

SoupNazi

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/18/30-mi ... use-steam/

PC Gamer reports that Valve is fucking rich:

Valve tell us Steam now has over 30 million accounts, with new user growth up 178% over last year, and sales up over 200%. For reference, Xbox Live has 25 million accounts total.

When will developers realize this? I'll take Steam as a platform over PC gaming declining even further anytime.

Tails

Arbiter
More like 30 million of people renting games from Valve.

Rogue

Educated
Steam is a nice idea, but useless. The games are insanely overpriced. The only thing worth getting are the special discounts. So yeah, I'm gonna wait forever and check in all the time to find the game I want (which is at the same time found cheaper in brick and mortar stores) under a discount.
Plus when something major happens, like a left4derp DLC release, you can't download anything for at least 2 days. By "can't download" I mean that your donwload either gets suspended or is running at 50-100kB/s, which is the same as 0 to me. As long as there will not be a universal store for PC games as a platform (with PROPER support), then can all just stick it.

Unwanted

Scream Phoenix

Unwanted
Age of Wonders appeared on Steam later than it did on GoG so I got it off GoG.

Take that Valve :smug:

DefJam101

Arcane
Discounts and bundle deals are cool, everything else is mediocre.

Just remember how terrible Steam used to be. :M

SoupNazi

It improved tremendously the past year or two. I don't buy that many games, but those I do seem to be decently priced on Steam. But that might be because games are grossly overpriced here in Czech Republic by default - I could actually earn money by buying games for Steam prices (somehow) and then selling them here for Czech prices. It's that bad.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Free market in action :smug:

Selling at the price that will be supported hur durrrr.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Well, I've used it for Alien Swarm Source, and as a multiplayer client it's serviceable. However, it still tends to crash, loads slowly, sports clunky consolified interface and a browser enjoy eating RAM like a fucking cake. Aldo, shitty tradition of forcing patches on user's throat without ability to revert is still in. Even in the current state it's far from being good for what it is.

Achilles

Arcane
I for one welcome our new Valve overlords. Steam is great and if you don't like it...

227_1191346434.jpg

...deal with it.

made

Arcane
Alexandros said:
Why pay this man 50 bucks to download something that you can download for free somewhere else?

It just makes no sense to me.

Yes, well I can only wonder when Steam will shut down and what will happen to all of those assholes who has bought 100+ games through that service...

Destroid

Arcane
Stereotypical Villain said:
Yes, well I can only wonder when Steam will shut down and what will happen to all of those assholes who has bought 100+ games through that service...

Pirate server that unlocks all steam games for everyone?

Yeesh

Magister
Valve tell us Steam now has over 30 million accounts, with new user growth up 178% over last year, and sales up over 200%. For reference, Xbox Live has 25 million accounts total.

Yes, sounds like they'll be shutting down any day now. Do you also think people who buy annual gym memberships are stupid? Because like what if the gym goes out of business TOMORROW?!?! Right?

Yeesh said:

Yes, sounds like they'll be shutting down any day now. Do you also think people who buy annual gym memberships are stupid? Because like what if the gym goes out of business TOMORROW?!?! Right?

Its unlikely for the gym to go out of business within the year, and in any case you are renting access so you aren't losing a large investment. Any given business is unlikely to last 30 years. Last I checked, when a book publisher goes out of business I don't suddenly lose every book I've bought in the last decade. Not to mention the reprehensible fact that Valve can summarily lock you out of your account for any reason or no reason whatsoever. There was already an incident where over 10,000 people were 'accidently' banned. Sure inspires faith in their system :roll:

deshields538

Scholar
About 75% of the games I've bought through steam are from their awesome sales, especially the recent summer mega sale where tons of things had discounts ranging from 50% to 90%. The rest of my games are ones which require it to work, like Dawn of War 2, or games that are hard to find at my local store, like Mount and Blade: Warband (I missed the sale for it).

It's also very handy while I'm at uni as I can put steam games on my laptop without having to lug the discs around.

For me, Valve going out of business (unlikely at the minute) is just a small risk compared with all the pros you get with it.

deuxhero

Arcane
Yeesh said:
Do you also think people who buy annual gym memberships are stupid? Because like what if the gym goes out of business TOMORROW?!?! Right?

Yes, because gyms tend to die pretty easily.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
People here forget that you actually pay twice for getting shit from Steam as you have to pay for the internets as well. This isn't so bad for just the odd activation, but in many places(fucking Australia) you pay through the arse for capped broadband and so buying and downloading a game from Steam carries with it a substantially higher cost than just buying a game at a store.

Multi-headed Cow

Not always the case, even in thirdworldia where there are download caps. I know an aussie who has capped downloads but he told me his ISP allows unlimited downloading from Steam.

So if we're saying that you have to pay for Steam games twice because some people somewhere might hit a download cap if they download too many games at once because they bought them pennies on the dollar, then we can say all of Australia downloads Steam games for free!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom