Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Personal question for the developers.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Genuinely sorry if this is common knowledge, but I was just wondering if VD and Elhoim are doing this full-time or if they have dayjobs/families/parole officers, etc.

The only reason I ask is just for my own philosophical gratification. I'm tending to dislike a lot of mainstream RPG development (i.e., profitable stuff) and I was just wondering if those who make good games as a labor of love are able to pay the bills doing it. I realize it's a pretty personal question, and if it's too much so, just ignore it.

BTW, just for the record, I'm planning to purchase AoD when it's done ... next Thursday apparently.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Actually I'm working full-time on this, and living with some money I saved when I quited my last job 3 months ago. For now I'm living of that and of some allowance I recieve from an aunt. Let's hope that someday I will be able to live of game development. :)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ion Flux said:
Genuinely sorry if this is common knowledge, but I was just wondering if VD and Elhoim are doing this full-time or if they have dayjobs/families/parole officers, etc.
A full time job - I run sales for a marketing company. Two kids: a 13 year old and a 4-month old.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Ion Flux said:
A full time job - I run sales for a marketing company. Two kids: a 13 year old and a 4-month old.

Is your 13 year old more or less mature than the average Codex poster?

What about the 4 month old?

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Elhoim said:
Actually I'm working full-time on this, and living with some money I saved when I quited my last job 3 months ago. For now I'm living of that and of some allowance I recieve from an aunt. Let's hope that someday I will be able to live of game development. :)

Vault Dweller said:

May you both become ridiculously wealthy from making fun games, snorting coke from supermodels' backsides and all that. :salute:

The four-month old is a whole other world of "labor of love". I have one lying around my apartment somewhere too. I should probably go find him...

dagorkan

Arbiter
cardtrick said:
Vault Dweller said:
Ion Flux said:

Is your 13 year old more or less mature than the average Codex poster?

What about the 4 month old?
You see that's why moderating these forums is not a selfless act it's good training for him, and why he has a level 73 spoiled brat toleration feat.

rpgcodex8ot.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
denizsi said:
a 13 year old and a 4-month old.

That's some time margin in between!

That's because he spent 12 years working on AoD, closed in the basement and not going out until he had achieved what he wanted, too tired and exhausted to do anything else when he was done. Now, as most of the work is done, he had time again to care for his family and enrich it with a new kid.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Well, I'm sure they'll make a profit since the overhead is pretty low. It's just if its profitable enough to justify the amount of time you guys all put into it.

Durwyn

Prophet
Elhoim said:
FrancoTAU said:
Well, I'm sure they'll make a profit since the overhead is pretty low. It's just if its profitable enough to justify the amount of time you guys all put into it.

Exactly :)
Everybody knows it isn't about cash... its about SATISFACSHUN and DELIVERING THE RLLL Ehrr Pee Gee to the true belivers/followers of the true faith... Am i Rite ?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
FrancoTAU said:

Profit is there without a doubt.

One could put question marks at the prospects, though. The average marketing guru would shudder to see how it's handled, as AoD neither does anything for promotional work via gaming media nor for creating a community for the game (instead just having the pre-existing Codex community, as far as I can see).

We'll see if marketing gurus are right or not at release, I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom