Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pet Project: A free UO shard

heatho

Novice
Yeah, this seems spammy I know, but I think if by chance you are interested in finding out if the shard is any good, you'll probably be glad you gave it time. Hopefully this will convince you that it IS worth your time. No strings attached, all thats required is your participation, and yes, I do think this is a constructive contribution.

Zulu Hotel Oz is a free UO shard for those that don't know (why would you?), that I've been partially involved with developing.

Anyway the point of this post is to try and get people to check it out, as the more players we get, the more fun it is.

Yes I know, UO is old, but we are breathing some new life into it I believe, through plain old good ideas, that are also innovative and creative. (Remember also that the Kingdom Reborn client update is coming out, more pretty modernized graphics that we may be able to support with the shard)

An example of this is ancient Rune gates that allow players to access hard to reach or otherwise unreachable areas (even new worlds). They are now scattered across Britannia and will introduce an interesting component to UO, the co-ordinates to different gates are a rare commodity, so information is power. There is also the possibility they will introduce new rare and unique items and playable races, perhaps even new classes.

One new and secret playable race (guard the secret to becoming one, if you uncover it) is the undead, or at least a twisted form of undead. This race can eat the corpses of its enemies and rise from the dead, gruesome, nearly unstoppable in packs and universally hated throughout Britannia.

One aim of the shard is to make UO more dynamic, the combat more tactical (no player will be completely unstoppable) and just more fun. The shard is being updated and worked on all the time and I think anyone who has played a shard or 2 will appreciate the polish and direction of the shard so far.

If none of this convinces you, then this must. You can cut off peoples heads and eat them, there you go. ZHO=1 WOW=0

Just kidding friends *adjusts tie nervously*.. But UO is very low bandwidth so you can always have it running in the background if you wish. That said, at worst you'll find yourself in an interactive chat room where you can violently kill and defile the corpse of someone saying something you don't like, high five eh!

Like I said the shard is free to play, you can download UO free and legally, all we need is a player influx to kick start things. Hope to see you soon in our new and exciting world of brain eating, UO has never been so delicious!

Details on how to get started here www.zuluhoteloz.com/forums

Even if your not interested in playing, do us a favour and vote us into the top 100 will ya? www.zuluhoteloz.com

whatusername

Scholar
Is there any way to download the UO client some place else for free? I lost my files and cd a longtime ago.

k_bits

Scholar
Sweet! I'm definitely gonna check this out

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom