Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I find the game more unforgiving than even the nu XCOMs, in that losing a soldier is catastrophic in terms of resources early on (and in terms of XP), to the point that I gave up on playing ironman (I suppose I could lower difficulty instead).

Having several squads flying around is a pausing/micromanagement nightmare, but I like you being more proactive than in nuXCOM.

I was about to tech shotguns, but then looted an Anu shotgun during a mission(overrun). Should I just reverse engineer their shotgun?
It looks like I need to focus on researching farms, as I can barely cover the cost of ammunitions, now.

I haven't dual classed any of my guys yet, waiting for advanced classes, but the only one I can research is technician. Which classes/roles should I dual class into this one? Heavies?
Losing soldiers super early (first 7 days) can slow you down but you can start making Scarab from the start (as soon as you can afford one) and I suggest you make one. It is certainly worth 3 soldier slots it takes this early in the game (if you make it to March I would suggest you stop using it unless you are desperate). Also all XP it gets from killing enemies go to other members of its squad so they level up fast.

Be sure to have in options turned OFF that game does not auto-unpause (or maybe you need to turn ON autopause) when managing multiple aircraft, it makes it much better.

Reverse Engineering is often useful if you know what you are doing. In this case, Anu Shotgun does more damage vs lower armor enemies but has a bit lower range (you are to use it at point blank vs weak armored body parts for maximum effect), but PP shotgun has better range and better damage vs armor. So the answer is that you should RE when it is useful, and you can learn that only by playing the game.

Dual classing is very costly and you should not do it before having access to lvl 7 skills of your first class + decent investment into its strenght and willpoints as well (so you do not die to one shots and are not easily panicked or mind controlled). Dual classing is another of the things that should be learned by playing and experimenting. If you do not have a plan on what you want to achieve you can easily spend points and get not much for it.
And TFTV makes it even more so because your 2nd row of skills have 2 skills that are specific for your 1st class and your 2nd class will only unlock its 1st row of skills. And 2nd row has some powerful skills like Boom Blast , double overwatch shot and such.
Oh, that's a good point. What percentage of skills do you roughly take among the 2 lines in TFTV? I fear I may have taken a bit too many.
Wouldn't the assault skill that grants -1 AP to attack be an auto include?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I find the game more unforgiving than even the nu XCOMs, in that losing a soldier is catastrophic in terms of resources early on (and in terms of XP), to the point that I gave up on playing ironman (I suppose I could lower difficulty instead).

Having several squads flying around is a pausing/micromanagement nightmare, but I like you being more proactive than in nuXCOM.

I was about to tech shotguns, but then looted an Anu shotgun during a mission(overrun). Should I just reverse engineer their shotgun?
It looks like I need to focus on researching farms, as I can barely cover the cost of ammunitions, now.

I haven't dual classed any of my guys yet, waiting for advanced classes, but the only one I can research is technician. Which classes/roles should I dual class into this one? Heavies?
Losing soldiers super early (first 7 days) can slow you down but you can start making Scarab from the start (as soon as you can afford one) and I suggest you make one. It is certainly worth 3 soldier slots it takes this early in the game (if you make it to March I would suggest you stop using it unless you are desperate). Also all XP it gets from killing enemies go to other members of its squad so they level up fast.

Be sure to have in options turned OFF that game does not auto-unpause (or maybe you need to turn ON autopause) when managing multiple aircraft, it makes it much better.

Reverse Engineering is often useful if you know what you are doing. In this case, Anu Shotgun does more damage vs lower armor enemies but has a bit lower range (you are to use it at point blank vs weak armored body parts for maximum effect), but PP shotgun has better range and better damage vs armor. So the answer is that you should RE when it is useful, and you can learn that only by playing the game.

Dual classing is very costly and you should not do it before having access to lvl 7 skills of your first class + decent investment into its strenght and willpoints as well (so you do not die to one shots and are not easily panicked or mind controlled). Dual classing is another of the things that should be learned by playing and experimenting. If you do not have a plan on what you want to achieve you can easily spend points and get not much for it.
And TFTV makes it even more so because your 2nd row of skills have 2 skills that are specific for your 1st class and your 2nd class will only unlock its 1st row of skills. And 2nd row has some powerful skills like Boom Blast , double overwatch shot and such.
Oh, that's a good point. What percentage of skills do you roughly take among the 2 lines in TFTV? I fear I may have taken a bit too many.
Wouldn't the assault skill that grants -1 AP to attack be an auto include?
I usually take all that will be useful often. Two class ones are almost always good, two faction ones are not always good, 2 random ones are good sometimes (although 1st one is gained automatically).
I try to balance skill gain with keeping stats high. I try to get 20+ strenght and 12+ willpower on all my soldiers.

Note I play on hardest difficulty and I prefer to play it safe.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One Pandoran lair keep freezing the AI turns forever. I will try to re-assault it at some other time instead. I hope it doesn't spell the end of my playthrough.

Anyway, here are my findings:
I liked the lack of pod activation (I know, it is really weird that it feels like a genius feature, but sadly, in this day and age, it kind of is), and the fact that each engagement feels like a single large battle instead of 4 mini encounters. I like the difference of pace between fights against humans and aliens (many aliens are HP bags, while humans are usually deadlier, but die much faster). However, in the end, I found the "wysiwyg" aiming system more of a gimmick than anything else:
I should not be micromanaging the aiming reticle of each of my soldiers, and I always was OK with the TB combat system being an abstraction in the first place.
But what triggers me the most is to have a "realistic ballistic model" combined with a disabled head incurring some minor debuff. I don't know, last time I checked, a disabled head looked like a serious injury...

Many missions result in a net loss of resources, so getting farming up and running is pretty critical.
I really liked the geoscape feeling as alive as in X-COM: Apocalypse, but there were a few minor inconveniences:
- too many teams to shuffle around (I was at 1 interceptor and 3 squads only)
- It triggers me that haven are kind of randomly placed. There should be some territorial sense to it.
I really liked independent heavens feeling distinct (and even some faction ones having their own leader and event chains).

Overall, it feels like a mix of great and lackluster elements. I really look forward to a more polished sequel/successor.

ArchAngel

Arcane
One Pandoran lair keep freezing the AI turns forever. I will try to re-assault it at some other time instead. I hope it doesn't spell the end of my playthrough.

Anyway, here are my findings:
I liked the lack of pod activation (I know, it is really weird that it feels like a genius feature, but sadly, in this day and age, it kind of is), and the fact that each engagement feels like a single large battle instead of 4 mini encounters. I like the difference of pace between fights against humans and aliens (many aliens are HP bags, while humans are usually deadlier, but die much faster). However, in the end, I found the "wysiwyg" aiming system more of a gimmick than anything else:
I should not be micromanaging the aiming reticle of each of my soldiers, and I always was OK with the TB combat system being an abstraction in the first place.
But what triggers me the most is to have a "realistic ballistic model" combined with a disabled head incurring some minor debuff. I don't know, last time I checked, a disabled head looked like a serious injury...

Many missions result in a net loss of resources, so getting farming up and running is pretty critical.
I really liked the geoscape feeling as alive as in X-COM: Apocalypse, but there were a few minor inconveniences:
- too many teams to shuffle around (I was at 1 interceptor and 3 squads only)
- It triggers me that haven are kind of randomly placed. There should be some territorial sense to it.
I really liked independent heavens feeling distinct (and even some faction ones having their own leader and event chains).

Overall, it feels like a mix of great and lackluster elements. I really look forward to a more polished sequel/successor.
Are you using just TFTV mod or some others as well?
This should not happen unless you also mixed some other mods. There was a bug with Better Enemies mod at some point because it spawned invalid Chiron that would cause this endless turn bug.
Also you just need to clear one lair to get access to tech needed to progress to end game.

redsky

Novice
Play XCOM 2 instead.
XCOM 2 has pods! I also played it to death (but not Long War XCOM 2, though).
my 2 favorite games ( but with mods) Xcom 2 with long war i played for 3000 hours. You have to try LW. Other is PP with Terror from the Void mod. I must say that PP has probably the best way to handle the shooting in turn based games. I love how everything counts.

it's still rather irritating to have to game around breathing animations, but honestly i wouldn't know how to solve that.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
The 3 best things about the game for me, that actually make it meaningfully different from other nuXCOM-likes:
1. The aiming system. So simple yet so genius. The actual physical targeting and blocking by the 3D terrain and creature parts.
2. The destructible terrain
3. The will system. It's kind of like the stamina = mana mechanic, but instead of running out of breath guys run out of morale.

Give me the TLDR, is the game finally good now with updates and DLC?
No. The issues are with it's core mechanics, not the level of content.

The free-aiming system that everyone is blowing their load over is one of the worst features implemented in any Xcom-style game ever. It turns the whole thing into a pixel hunt and destroys the value of cover and tactical placement because your characters will randomly stick their heads out as part of their animations, and then get sniped. The developers for some reason seem to be proud of this abortion of a feature, so it's staying in.

Trash Player

Scholar
The sum isn't greater than the parts but some of the parts are interesting enough is how I will put it. Genre enthusiasts will have fun for the first couple of dozens of hours before the flaws catch up. It has a decent and promising enough framework but does not really build anything substantial on top of it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Give me the TLDR, is the game finally good now with updates and DLC?

It's better *without* the DLC - a lot of the DLC adds superflous micromanagement to a game already heavily plagued by it.

The long and short of it is this: the game has great core tactical gameplay with one of the best bullet models ever made for TRPG. The latter is way more important and enjoyable than you might think, it makes the combat really gradual and meaty.

However, the systems are untested and feel unfinished, and there's a ton of just little annoying things.

In the end, the package was not worth it for me, but it definitely will be for some.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's better *without* the DLC - a lot of the DLC adds superflous micromanagement to a game already heavily plagued by it.
It's not just that, the dlc also all pile on extra missions right at the start of the game.

But it also depends on the dlc. The ancients dlc is kinda good, because it actually adds a tier of "strictly better" weapons which the base game was lacking (lots of sidegrades though).

TFTV mod really is the best way to play the game I think, it takes the good stuff from the dlc's, integrates them better into the game and cuts a lot of the chaff. The GOTY edition really should have done this, but they didn't for whatever reason.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I've just re-discovered this game on Game Pass and I'm quite pleasantly pleased with it so far.

Some people are calling it janky but I'm guessing that over the two years since I first tried it (and abandoned it) they must have really polished it -- and I'm only talking about the base game here -- because it plays very smoothly, all systems are easy to understand and work correctly, cut-scenes and general presentation are perfectly acceptable, and even the voice acting is fine in my opinion. The jank factor is nearly zero.

Just different enough from nu X-COM to be interesting, I'm quite looking forward to enjoying this one.

Shaki

Arbiter
I've just re-discovered this game on Game Pass and I'm quite pleasantly pleased with it so far.

Some people are calling it janky but I'm guessing that over the two years since I first tried it (and abandoned it) they must have really polished it -- and I'm only talking about the base game here -- because it plays very smoothly, all systems are easy to understand and work correctly, cut-scenes and general presentation are perfectly acceptable, and even the voice acting is fine in my opinion. The jank factor is nearly zero.

Just different enough from nu X-COM to be interesting, I'm quite looking forward to enjoying this one.
I was telling people it's actually really good, since I've played it few months ago, and everybody thinks I'm trolling :negative:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Funny thing base game is better than all the clutter and shit they added with DLC, similar to Xcom 2 where expansion only made it worse. In both cases you need complete overhaul mods to play it.

Also if you figure out a few tricks PP becomes super easy, barely 1% challenge.. all this is fixed in the overhaul mod.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
All in all the game is decent, havent tried the overhaul mods and the dlcs were a mixed bag.
The general salt from people i guess is the kickstarter promises when they needed the moneyz, and the change in direction (art, mood, etc) that happened after plus the epic money as well.
It just left a bitter taste.

P.S. Gotta find the time to try out that total overhaul Archangel keeps talking about. One of these days :)

Shaki

Arbiter

Funny thing base game is better than all the clutter and shit they added with DLC, similar to Xcom 2 where expansion only made it worse. In both cases you need complete overhaul mods to play it.

Also if you figure out a few tricks PP becomes super easy, barely 1% challenge.. all this is fixed in the overhaul mod.
I just wanna note that as someone who first played with all DLCs enabled, I tried it with no DLCs later since people were teling me its even better that way, and I actually liked it much more with DLCs.

The only DLC I disliked was the Legacy of the Ancients, lot of boring grind and the weapons it adds are OP and destroy all the balance. I really liked that the gear progression in the game very rarely offers straight upgrades, and most things have a niche where they can be utilized successfully depending on the build and situation, unlocking new stuff opens up more options rather than just giving you the same shit with better stats like in XCOM - and Legacy of Ancients DLC just straight up throws that design philosophy out of the window and hands you by far the best weapons in the game, invalidating everything else.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's a bit like Cyberpunk 2077, or even the PoE games, or maybe even you could say Wasteland 2. Not the game we were promised and/or expected, so there was a lot of nerdrage and disappointment on release, but it's turned out to be alright for what it is. Not stellar, but fun enough and worth playing.

All these things are a lesson in (from the dev side) overhyping and (from the player side) managing expectations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom