Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
what about these Japanese guys:
historical-photos-rare-pt2-samurai-1860-1880.jpg

What a bunch of posers, lol. I guess I'll have to explain myself a little.

Japs only used bog iron in the production of their weapons. Bog iron is impure iron deposits found in swamps. They didn't have any other iron on their islands, so their weapons (despite what urban legends say) were pure shit. As a result, the samurai codex even allowed 5 minute pauses in samurai fights, because their katanas got bent so much after hitting something, that they had to manually unbend them in order to go on and not look like total douches.

This is also the reason for the super complex Japanese sword forging technology. In order to get a good sword from shit metal, one had to work for years on a single blade. Such swords were all unique and couldn't be afforded by just anyone. Because only aristocrats could afford them, those swords were almost never used in actual fights.

So what do we have?
- Can't make really protective armor, cause almost no iron, and existing iron is shit.
- Can't make decent weapons, cause existing iron is shit.

So I don't even want to discuss those guys, they're not an example of anything other than being geographically unlucky.

(Of course when they started smuggling European iron in, they started making marvels with their exceptional forging technology.)

And unarmored sword fight makes no sense.
Yet somehow it's was almost the sole method of dueling for many centuries of at least European history. Swords are not knives, while double hits can happen they were not that common.

Whoever said stupid rapier duels made any sense? One guy said something and then the other one got so butthurt over it, that they'd have to go outside and try to kill each other. Does that sound like something reasonable to you?

Efficiency-wise, it was stupid, cause it was fifty-fifty, basically. Those duels lasted for 5 seconds. They weren't exactly a shining example of weapons/armor technology or fighting techniques.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
A Paradox forum post mentions that PoE has been delayed to early 2015 according to a post on the Obsidian forums.

Don't know if its the truth as NOBODY else mentions it. If it is, congratulations Paradox for screwing up PR.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The Japanese used plenty of iron in their battle armour (depending on the era). Also, Europeans fought without armour just as much. If not in a battle, putting on armour is not something you'd normally do, so in a civilian context you'd be fighting unarmoured. Using longswords, sword and buckler, knives, hammers and axes, whatever. Wasn't just duelling. And even if we speak of duelling, it wasn't just an example of rich guys being idiots, poor people duelled too, in judicial fights, when a compromise couldn't be reached. (men, women, even dogs btw)

You say duels weren't examples of technique? I wonder why so many men spent precious time and money on fencing schools and fencing manuals.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
A Paradox forum post mentions that PoE has been delayed to early 2015 according to a post on the Obsidian forums.

Don't know if its the truth as NOBODY else mentions it. If it is, congratulations Paradox for screwing up PR.
Thank fuck for that if it's true.

Johannes

Arcane
what about these Japanese guys:
historical-photos-rare-pt2-samurai-1860-1880.jpg

What a bunch of posers, lol. I guess I'll have to explain myself a little.

Japs only used bog iron in the production of their weapons. Bog iron is impure iron deposits found in swamps. They didn't have any other iron on their islands, so their weapons (despite what urban legends say) were pure shit. As a result, the samurai codex even allowed 5 minute pauses in samurai fights, because their katanas got bent so much after hitting something, that they had to manually unbend them in order to go on and not look like total douches.

This is also the reason for the super complex Japanese sword forging technology. In order to get a good sword from shit metal, one had to work for years on a single blade. Such swords were all unique and couldn't be afforded by just anyone. Because only aristocrats could afford them, those swords were almost never used in actual fights.

So what do we have?
- Can't make really protective armor, cause almost no iron, and existing iron is shit.
- Can't make decent weapons, cause existing iron is shit.

So I don't even want to discuss those guys, they're not an example of anything other than being geographically unlucky.

(Of course when they started smuggling European iron in, they started making marvels with their exceptional forging technology.)

And unarmored sword fight makes no sense.
Yet somehow it's was almost the sole method of dueling for many centuries of at least European history. Swords are not knives, while double hits can happen they were not that common.

Whoever said stupid rapier duels made any sense? One guy said something and then the other one got so butthurt over it, that they'd have to go outside and try to kill each other. Does that sound like something reasonable to you?

Efficiency-wise, it was stupid, cause it was fifty-fifty, basically. Those duels lasted for 5 seconds. They weren't exactly a shining example of weapons/armor technology or fighting techniques.
You don't even know what you don't know.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ty-Delayed&s=60597bdeb170c1264927103be32abaef
Pillars of Eternity Delayed - Obsidian and Paradox Push Release to 2015

NpWb71O.png

Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive announced today that the highly anticipated
fantasy role-playing game Pillars of Eternity, originally scheduled for release in late 2014, has
been delayed until early 2015.

Feedback through the beta process from those who backed Pillars of Eternity on Kickstarter
has been extremely helpful. The development team are listening to the feedback and are
incorporating changes to ensure fans absolutely get the best game possible. This short delay
will allow Obsidian to produce the quality of game that they can be rightly proud of.

"Since the very beginning of this project we promised our fans and ourselves that we would
release this game only when we knew it would be absolutely ready for the best experience
possible. We're very close to that point, but not quite there yet. The feedback we have received
through our playtest process has been invaluable to us. We are coming into the home stretch
but are pushing the release out just a bit to make sure we honor that promise we made originally.
Thanks for your patience and support, it will be worth the wait." – Feargus Urquhart, CEO Obsidian.

Both Obsidian and Paradox are aware of the anticipation the thousands of people who donated to
the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter campaign have, many of whom have been clamoring for a game
in the style of classic role-playing games for years. And, rest assured, no one is more anxious for
the completion and release of this game than we are. However, we are excited to get the extra
time to incorporate the feedback and add additional polish.

Your enthusiasm and support has been energizing for everyone and we're just as excited as you are
for this game to come out and kick this new renaissance of classic style CRPG's into high gear!

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Also, Europeans fought without armour just as much
Yeah, because 90% of all medieval european armies were made up of feudal levies. Those who weren't piss-poor farmers always fought well equipped.

so in a civilian context
>killing
>in a civilian context

You do realize that people didn't fight to the death only in field battles, right? From various disputes, to robberies, pub brawls to rival fencing schools duking it out in the town square, Europeans fought a LOT, in a civilian context.
Yes, those who could afford armour fought in armour, IN BATTLES. It takes quite a while to put it on and while some duels were fought armoured, on many occasions you wouldn't have the time to prepare.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I guess they realized the game wasn't fun to play.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess they realized the game wasn't fun to play.

And the delay won't change much of that, either.
Of course it will. The fundamental system is allright, but they have to fix all those issues Sensuki and other tester are talking about. I'm glad that they delayed the game, and relieved, because they will have time to polish the game.

Lhynn

Arcane
The fundamentals of the system are shit. Its probably salvageable tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom