Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I have not followed closely for the last few days, but is there an ETA on the next patch? Now that release is delayed, I am wondering if they will put more time into the patches.

Nothing at the moment and I expect it will be every three weeks when we see updates. Releasing an update every two weeks seems to be too much for them and waiting four weeks (a month!) is too long. Maybe it's a case of when they squash bugs, new bugs surface which might be delaying the updates. I think three weeks is too long imo.

The Bear for the Ranger is a face palm for me. Instead of Obsidian creating a better transition for the bear, they shrunk the bear down to the size of a cub. It looks funny and sad at the same time. I know it's a temporary fix but I don't recall this happening in earlier builds.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Asked Josh about the Karma Police tracker on SA

Sensuki said:
How is that Karma Police tracker going btw?

rope kid said:
Very well. Our dialogue tool allows us to see every place we're making checks of various types and it's easy to filter them in different ways. So if, for example, one type of Disposition is overwhelmingly represented and another is hardly represented at all, we can see that and then look at all of the individual instances to see what's going on.

Literally everything we check for via script can be queried. Race, subrace, sex, class, culture, background, deity, paladin order, dispositions, reputations, attributes, skills, etc.

agris

Arcane
Patron
And this is a system that Obsidian have shared with the torment team? That's awesome, and spells good thing for TToN.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Man, I still remember how much fun I had with the beta, with the good story and everything, then I hit my first combat encounter. I quit the game after that encounter.

Hormalakh

Magister
Yep I've constantly tried to play the game and as soon as I finish my second combat encounter, I tell myself I'll wait until they fix the inherent problems with combat before I get to it. And I stop playing until the next beta update.

Then I hear that the combat is filled with bugs and fake equations and nothing is actually working as intended and I am glad that I'm not playing such a broken beta.

"Our beta is feature complete." Except it's not. Missing major features when it comes to UI, combat mechanics, feedback UI, and other very basic things. Does feature complete mean something completely different than this? Maybe it just means that they have done all the artwork and placed in the areas and have a skeleton story in place.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yep I've constantly tried to play the game and as soon as I finish my second combat encounter, I tell myself I'll wait until they fix the inherent problems with combat before I get to it. And I stop playing until the next beta update.

Then I hear that the combat is filled with bugs and fake equations and nothing is actually working as intended and I am glad that I'm not playing such a broken beta.

"Our beta is feature complete." Except it's not. Missing major features when it comes to UI, combat mechanics, feedback UI, and other very basic things. Does feature complete mean something completely different than this? Maybe it just means that they have done all the artwork and placed in the areas and have a skeleton story in place.

I think it just means. *Everything exists in some form* Not *Everything is final*

Which it did/does.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Doubt it, other than balancing. Wouldn't be surprised if they do in the future, but I don't think they're working on that at the moment.

They seem to be more concerned about character advancement at the moment.

polo

Magister
Hey Sensuki, what's the news regarding your stats paper and that stuff? Did they implement something or just didn't care anymore?

Sensuki

Arcane
Apparently they had some similar internal findings, the v301 attribute system has a similar stat allocation to our recommendation, although they swapped Deflection and Duration (which I don't agree with). However the larger problem is the change from positive only to a system where 10 is 0, so the bonuses you receive are much smaller and now attributes have even less impact than they did before.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I find it ironic that Sensuki's nickname in means "dream of a whore" in Polish which is how current PoE combat looks like.

Arkeus

Arcane
Update 86 said:
Update by Brandon Adler, Lead Producer

Hello, everyone. It has been a little while since our last update to our backers and there have been some important developments (and additional goodies) of which I'd like to make you all aware.

Additional Time for Polish and Feedback
Through your help and feedback, the Pillars of Eternity team has spent the past two years creating a fun, fulfilling experience. An open development has enabled us to interact with our fans and backers in a way we weren't able to in the past, and this has really helped shape Eternity into a game that we all hoped it would become. Plus, with the Backer Beta, we have been able to get excellent feedback from our backers that we are using to shape Eternity into an even better game. We really can't thank you enough.

To incorporate as much feedback as possible, polish every nook and cranny of the game, and make sure we don't ship a buggy game, Obsidian has decided to push the game's release into early next year. We are going to use the extra time to make Eternity shine for our backers, and a game that we were proud to call our own and would live up to your expectations.

Once again, we want to thank you for making this all possible. With your help we can bring Eternity across the finish line.

Speaking of Backer Beta
We are hard at work implementing feedback and bugfixing items in the Backer Beta. One of the major focuses for the team over the past few weeks was adding in additional character progression options and cleaning up UI to make combat a little less chaotic.

You can expect everything from additional Talents and Ability selection choices to UI and HUD improvements in our next update. We are also very close to getting the Mac and Linux versions of the Backer Beta to you guys. It may even make it into the next Beta update.

In fact, here is one of the Backer Beta requested UI changes - Infinity Engine-style targeting reticles.

pe-target-580.jpg

Physical Replacement for Documentary DVDs and Blu-rays
A while back we mentioned that we were going to be removing the documentary DVDs and Blu-rays as physical rewards because we would be unable to include the end of production so the discs could be pressed in time for delivery. The documentary will now only available as a download through the backer portal.

To compensate we have created a brand new memo-style notepad for those backers that would have received a physical version of the disc. Here are a couple of pages from the Pillars of Eternity themed notepad.

pe-notepad-580.jpg

Plea for Surveys
Even though we have locked down backer rewards on the portal, we are still able to add in memorial and credit text into the game. If you have memorials or backer credits, and you haven't filled out your survey, please head over to the backer portal and fill them out.

Italian Localizations
Many of our Italian-speaking backers asked for us to include them in the list of languages we were localizing for the game. After speaking with Paradox about the issue it was decided that we would include Italian localizations. For those folks that have access to the Backer Beta, they should see Italian languages options (and corresponding translations) as soon as our next update.

BEDLAM!

What do you get when you mix turn-based combat, rogue-like inspired features, and giant armored machines? BEDLAM! Check out this new Kickstarter by our friends at Skyshine Games and get into the post-apocalyptic fun. It is inspired by games like Banner Saga, FTL, and XCOM. How can you go wrong?

Duraframe300

Arcane
four weeks later and all we know is that targeting reticules and shift-queueing is in.

?

We know lots of other little things including that *currently work on* list Sawyer posted. Or what are you referring to/pointing out here?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity Guidebook Volume One HC
Obsidian Entertainment (W)
On sale Mar 11
FC, 120 pages
$19.99
HC, 8 1/2" x 11"

Packed with never-before-seen art and in-depth lore, this is the definitive exploration of the acclaimed new video game from Obsidian Entertainment!
Having broken records with its hugely successful Kickstarter campaign, Pillars of Eternity mixes modern technology with the beloved traditions of role-playing games, introducing a breathtaking new fantasy world. Every monster, every faction, every deity, and everything in between is covered within the pages of this tome, all accompanied by luscious illustrations.
• Pillars of Eternity raised over 4 million dollars through crowdsourcing!
• Tons of art and lore from the acclaimed game!
• The godfathers of the RPG create their masterpiece!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom