Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity, New Vegas and other Obsidian DLC Discussion

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Deadfire's DLCs are great, I've enjoyed them. Beast Of Winter contains the most beautiful scene in the whole game:

G4jOMIgAy2Ef3kzuxeb5qkc2E-bhTO8lb8iLfLnyL0g_390x400_3x-0.jpeg

New Vegas' DLCs are this good:

Honest Hearts>Dead Money>Old World Blues>Lonesome Road

basically a sequence in which you are supposed to play it, lol.

I still didn't play Mask of the Betrayer because the base game seems to be very boring.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
DLC's definitely were fine, it's just that the main game integration was really ... meh. Would have been nice if at least one of these DLC's offered an alternative ending to New Vegas, where the courier decides that he can't be arsed with the happenings in New Vegas after he has dealt with Benny.

Honest Hearts for example would have been much better if it took place in a small Legion city where Graham was hiding out, and you chose to work with the Legion to hunt him down or work with him to free the city. That wouldn't have taken any more effort, would have added immensely to a Legion playthrough and still would have been a separate "cell" for memory reasons.

The Jester

Cipher
Honest Hearts>Dead Money
You are supposed to play Dead Money first.
And why do you like HH more that DM?
DM had:
-melancholic atmosphere
-Excellent written and dynamic companions
-The bittersweet endings
-Sierra Madre's thought provoking lore
-For the first time in the game, a challenging gameplay
All the different structures and aspects of the DLC are intertwined in each other to create an unforgettable experience for the player.
It just works!
What did HH had?
-Joshua Graham
-Randall Clark's journal
-And...?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Honest Hearts>Dead Money
DM had:
-melancholic atmosphere
-The bittersweet endings
All the different structures and aspects of the DLC are intertwined in each other to create an unforgettable experience for the player.
It just works!
What did HH had?
-Joshua Graham
-Randall Clark's journal
-And...?

I don't know, it just clicked to me. Maybe Randall Clark's journal is the most "real Fallout" thing in the whole game. Maybe Indians and amazing views. Maybe Dead Money's challenges were quite off to me after Pathologic 2. I don't know, Dead Money is still great experience. What I really can't understand is how you so fuck up with the Ulysses guy, this Lonesome Road DLC is written so fucking weak.

The Jester

Cipher
Honest Hearts>Dead Money
DM had:
-melancholic atmosphere
-The bittersweet endings
It just works!
What did HH had?
-Joshua Graham
-Randall Clark's journal
-And...?

I don't know, it just clicked to me. Maybe Randall Clark's journal is the most "real Fallout" thing in the whole game. Maybe Indians and amazing views. Maybe Dead Money's challenges were quite off to me after Pathologic 2. I don't know, Dead Money is still great experience. What I really can't understand is how you so fuck up with the Ulysses guy, this Lonesome Road DLC is written so fucking weak.
what, don't you like THE BEAR and THE BULL speech?:troll:

uaciaut

Augur
I don't get how people actually like Honest Hearts - from a gameplay perspective it's Bethesda-level retardation with the "fetch X and bring it back" quests and the level scaling. Even the "moral dilema" at the end seems really weird and pointless, had like 0 impact on me as a player. The only thing that saves it SOME face is the Survivalist's story and how you get to explore it.

I remember playing Dead Money for the first time and getting up from my PC feeling like i have half a ton of lead weighing me down - don't think i've had many games able to impact me that hard. The whole atmosphere and how the whole story around Sinclair and Vera was revealed and how the interactions with your partners wrapped up was really good. And the fact that i still dislike going through it because of losing my gear speaks to how well it managed to hit its target on the survivalist aspect.

OWB's atmosphere seemed too far-removed from the usual Mojave and the area seemed really compressed and not that meaningful - other than to elucidate some stuff about Dead Money and Ulysses i guess.

Lonesome Road was really meh the first time i played, they pumped out Ulysses so much as a symbolic antagonist and i didn't really feel that i could connect with what he was supposed to represent at all - story and DLC as a whole seemed unfinished. Shame because there were signs of potential there.

So
Dead Money>Lonesome Road>=Old World Blues>=Honest Hearts

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom