Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Piracy" kills another game

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good. This is how it should be.

Unfortunately I can only wish ME3 sold just as much .

Topher

Cipher
I heard it was crap but I also noticed that it had pretty silly system specs so I'm sure that didn't help.

Cassidy

Arcane
I was curious so:

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/game/14175/mafia-ii/

630,000 on Xbawks. Not really a significant number for hyped popamole shit either. Although hopefully one day the PC market might become near fully alienated to console ports so all the hyped shit peddlers will abandon it.

Unfortunately something like that is never going to happen...

Norfleet

Wait, PIRACY killed this? How can this be? I didn't bother to not-remove-this-from-inventory at all, perhaps because it was boring.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good. After the large sales of SC: Conviction I thought that dumbing down and cutting up a game had become a godless recipe for success. Unfortunately it still would have sold n the consoles but fuck it. If this is the type of shit they want to release, I won't shed a tear if they move there and never release for PC again.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Thank fucking god. This game was a half-finished poo smear.

Mafia 1 was much more superior in every conceivable way.

piydek

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/game/21856/mafia-ii/

Mafia II Sales
0.11m

:lol: there's justice after all. Maybe next time it won't be such a horrible piece of shit

You can be joyful, but we know what the publisher's and maybe even developer's interpretation and solution of this problem are going to be. Not to make it "less of a piece of shit" in Codex' terms, that's for sure.

Achilles

Arcane
I seriously doubt that these are real sales figures. VGChartz is basically a bullshit site and the figures they give out are almost pure guesswork. Also, they only follow the retail market which is on it's way out for PC, at least in the US.

For publishers that's a clear sign that the game wasn't dumbed down enough and that the franchise urgently needs a reboot in form of "Mafia: The old games never happend".

MDH

Novice
What happened:
Let's just throw the game out there. So what if it has generic gameplay and isn't optimized worth a second damn so nobody will be able to play it properly! And the controls on the PC version suck but we'll just let them configure it!

What will happen:
OH NO MORE TITLES ON THE PC TEH PIRACY IS KILLING US ALL

Ed123 said:
Shame the same thing didn't happen to GTA IV.

What? It's like ten times better game. It also has multiplayer which can actually be loads of fun. I for one am glad GTA games still sell great, because that means I'll get to play proper sequels that don't deviate too much from the original formula.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Multidirectional said:
Ed123 said:
Shame the same thing didn't happen to GTA IV.

What? It's like ten times better game. It also has multiplayer which can actually be loads of fun. I for one am glad GTA games still sell great, because that means I'll get to play proper sequels that don't deviate too much from the original formula.

True, GTA4 is more of GTA3 which was more of GTA2 etc I like this evolution, simply adding more instead of dumbing down. GTA is a hard game too, truly a gem these times.

Why the hate?

The Wizard

Educated
because the port was so horrible that at least 20% of people couldn't play it on release, and even years after it still runs like shit?

and the game wasn't all that good either. missions with hours of driving from a to b with nothing interesting happening inbetween and *ringringringringclick*"HEY CAWSIN LETS LOOK AT AMERICAN TEETTEES"
:x

a shame, because niko was a p. cool protagonist.

episodes from liberty city were good, though.

The Wizard said:
because the port was so horrible that at least 20% of people couldn't play it on release, and even years after it still runs like shit?

No it doesn't. As of late patches you can turn off shadows, which makes it run just fine. My framerate never goes down above 30 now, and mostly stays at 40 and above on my mid-end rig (Core 2 Duo E8400, GTS250), with distance sliders on 50. Considering huge level of detail in game this is just fine.
Also while single player in GTA4 was lesser than in previous games it is still miles above Mafia 2. Seems like most work has gone into creating engine and multiplayer, which I already said is tons of fun. And the episodes improved on single player a lot, while also removing stupid buddy system. I say long live GTA.

Malakal said:
GTA is a hard game too

This is not true though, GTA4 installments were too easy on keyboard/mouse. Difficulty was only right for gamepads. They need to add higher difficulty modes in later games, because I'm only really challenged in multiplayer now.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah GTA4 was incredibly easy. Older console GTAs were harder because PC controls were shit (remember that demolition mission in VC where you were controlling a chopper with the dynamite and had to press like 12 buttons to do that). GTA4 had perfect PC controls. Still unlike Mafia2 GTA4 didn't even have regen and very rare medkits were well balanced.

GTA4 PC port was and is shit however. Well it does run at stable 40 FPS (which is higher than on XBawks) with graphics settings higher than on XBawks on my system, but I just think about other poor people that have to suffer.

Alexandros said:
I seriously doubt that these are real sales figures. VGChartz is basically a bullshit site and the figures they give out are almost pure guesswork. Also, they only follow the retail market which is on it's way out for PC, at least in the US.

Note that Microsoft has a perfect grip on sales figures for Xbox360 because it all goes through them - so getting real stats for a random game shouldn't be hard for the industry suits that do that. And sales on PC are always lower for multiplatforms or other shitty games in general.

piydek

Cipher
SimpleComplexity said:
For publishers that's a clear sign that the game wasn't dumbed down enough and that the franchise urgently needs a reboot in form of "Mafia: The old games never happend".

Exactly.

anus_pounder

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Yeah GTA4 was incredibly easy. Older console GTAs were harder because PC controls were shit (remember that demolition mission in VC where you were controlling a chopper with the dynamite and had to press like 12 buttons to do that).

Jesus Christ I hated that mission.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Still unlike Mafia2 GTA4 didn't even have regen and very rare medkits were well balanced.

It's funny that GTA 4 is more of a spiritual successor of the original Mafia (both in a good and bad way) than failed POPAMafia 2.

Luzur

Good Sir
anus_pounder said:
MetalCraze said:
Yeah GTA4 was incredibly easy. Older console GTAs were harder because PC controls were shit (remember that demolition mission in VC where you were controlling a chopper with the dynamite and had to press like 12 buttons to do that).

Jesus Christ I hated that mission.

should have been a side mission, not a main mission.

but i managed to get it right after the 234th try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom