Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Piranha Bytes appreciation station

Dexter

Arcane
One of the better videos about the best PB games, explains why their world building is so much better than other shitty "Open World" games:

JDR13

Arcane
Recently I played HZD for a bit. That game just doesn't have any humor at all. It's so fucking serious. It's like an super uptight office carrier girl with a stick up her ass who simply doesn't know how to relax.

Yeah, HZD is pretty serious. Good game though, even if it uses that paint by numbers type of exploration that's so common in open-world games now.

JDR13

Arcane
One of the better videos about the best PB games, explains why their world building is so much better than other shitty "Open World" games:

Just hearing that music makes me want to fire them up again.

It's incredible (and sad) that, two decades later, so few games have even come close to the level of worldbuilding that Gothic 1&2 gave us.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So I tried playing Elex before, but for some reason got distracted by other games.

Thinking of starting it again but was wondering, are there any quests that you have to avoid completing if you want to join certain factions? I tried looking to see if there was a list on gamefaqs or something but couldn't find anything. Any veteran Elex players with advice?

Just finished playing Elex right now, I think it is a cool game that suffers a lot from the lack of quality of life features and the overly convoluted/poorly written main quest.
I still think it doesn't come nowhere near the greatness of Gothic 1+2, but certainly is a step in the right direction and I hardly can wait to hear news about its sequel.

So I tried playing Elex before, but for some reason got distracted by other games.

Thinking of starting it again but was wondering, are there any quests that you have to avoid completing if you want to join certain factions? I tried looking to see if there was a list on gamefaqs or something but couldn't find anything. Any veteran Elex players with advice?

There are no missions that prevent you from joining a faction. As far as you do most of the quests in each area in favor of the faction that controls it, you can get enough reputation to be able to join any of them without worrying.

Celeb

Literate
Since I am a Gothic fan, I decided to beat the whole Risen trilogy last year. I lost some respect for Piranha after that.

Risen has a good character progression and the first chapter is really great - filled with interesting places and quests. Sadly, I dislike the battle system in this one. To just name a few disadvantages - huge 1H weapon favouritism, opponents having ninja reactions and poor spell selection. As for exploration - by God, Piranha forgot their games are not meant to be hack'n'slash. Every 10 meters, there is something to defeat and the last 2 chapters are filled with dungeon crawling and killing. Temple of the Sleeper was a drag but at least it had a great atmosphere. After 4 hours of spelunking, I got bored in Risen's lategame.
Risen 2 just shits the bed in every area bar funny writing and world presentation (meeting Natives and Gnomes was interesting to me). The protagonist, lore and storyline got butchered. Combat, somehow, got worse than in Risen 1 and Gothic 3. One fourth of quests were below MMO tier (too many "follow the guy" ones). Character progression was okay but felt inferior - getting a musket is the biggest upgrade in the game. Getting rid of joinable guilds and armours was also a minus.
Risen 3 once again "expands on" the lore with even more bullshit and I am left confused as to what the hell titans and titan lords even are at this point. Nevertheless, I really liked exploring new locations, meeting new guilds and the combat was alright - a bit brainless but at least it was faster (which is a good thing since the whole series loves to throw hundreds of monsters in the player's way). Overall, it was my favourite one.

I plan to start Elex when its sequel comes out. Seeing how inconsistent Risen is with its lore, I prefer to not have huge time gaps between playthroughs.

ferratilis

Magister
Any Germans here who follow PB's work closely? I wonder if they took advantage of the new government funding program that provides grants to game developers, up to 50% of costs for projects below 8 million euros. If anyone should apply, it's Piranha Bytes, maybe it can help Elex 2 be less janky. One can hope at least.

kreight

Wrong place to ask. Muricans live here, they suck dicks and worship Soy.

Celeb

Literate
Bjorn, stop making Youtube videos and go back to developing Elex 2. Your company is going to have a biggest gap between games soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom