Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Planescape: Torment questions

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There is more than Sigil? I never came further than finding (I think) Pharod.

DraQ

Arcane
Wisdom is the stat that measures your ability to believe.
:what:
I never knew HHR was so wise.
IIRC, you can also get mazed if you mock the lady of pain doll from that special item shop. I need to replay PST again one of these days, details are starting to get fuzzy, give it a few more years and it will probably be a somewhat novel experience again.
Not mock, you need to genuinely pray to it.

Otherwise The Lady gives remarkably few fucks.

:fight:
Shamefur.
:mob:

Ravel spoiler from 3rd playthrough.
You can 'save' ravel if you talk to mebeth with a black barbed seed in inventory.

what is it, you want more obscure stuff?

have you managed to join the chaosmen?
how about finding the hidden faction store in curst?
All of the stories you can tell in the brothel to teller-of-tales?
did you know that there are many options to weakening the chaos in curst gone? In fact, there is a option for all situations (situations that involve humans or non-hostile demons).
The brothel has a basement. Fairly useless place, but cool to see once
Pharod's 'stash' actually exists in-game
The chaosbox quest has a way to release a more powerful demon on curst gone if you don't get rid of it, with attendant greater reward
:bro:

PS:T is one of the very few ways you can make IE-like game explorable, although it isn't spatial exploration, but exploration of dialogues and possible situations.
Stats, inventory and

Yes, I applied the draw fix. I was assuming I would be able to talk to him when he came back, I wanted to revive my friends first...eh
The way I finished PS:T for the first time, actually.

Last edited:

eremita

Savant
But it's some time since I played the last time. I completed everything back then and I remember the first half of the game being boring as hell. Sigil is just too much for a completionist...

Are you sure you enjoyed it at all, then? After Sigil the game just gets more and more combat heavy, which is far from its strong point.
After you leave Sigil for the first time, the story is much more dynamic and thus reveals itself to be actually really interesting. My problem with Sigil is this: In my opinion, the designers haven't thought that player would search everything and talk to everyone. Otherwise, there wouldn't be so much repeating... In other words, you can either 1) reveal things only to completionist (which imply that non-completionist would never be able to make everything out of the story, side-stories, characters) 2) make sure that even in more dynamic playthrough, the player is in picture. In many cases, the designers chose the first option, which is admirable, but these parts of the game have usually more to do with some personal stuff. Too bad it's not the case when it comes to more general stuff. I cannot count how many times I heard basically the same thing from various characters, companions etc. And I have to admit, that was quite tiresome. Add a lot of fetch quests and you get some really boring parts... I think that when it comes to exploration of the setting itself and interacting with it (from cosmic laws to culture), Arcanum did much better job... Even an open game like New Vegas did.

Otherwise The Lady gives remarkably few fucks.

Going on a dabus murdering spree gets her pretty pissed off. The single biggest individual action that gets the most 'Lady of Pain hates you' points is becoming a worshipper of Aashokar when you talk to the priest in the ruined church in the Alley of Dangerous Angles (or whatever the place with the warring gangs is called). Not enough to get you mazed immediately though. Though that might just be a 'nothing gets you mazed if it's your 1st offence' mechanic - first time I played, I worshipped Aashokar, then got mazed when I murdered a Dabus (I did the puzzle one correctly - this was just a random murder on my part). Then I mocked the doll and got the 'Lady of Pain destroys you' game over.

Edit: might have been praying to the doll, but I'm pretty sure it was just mocking it - repeatedly in the hope of seeing if it would eventually take you somewhere interesting:)

I could certainly be wrong, but I thought mocking got you low 'LoP is pissed at you' points (ala dabus-murdering), and praying was a much bigger penalty that could only be applied once, like worshipping Aashokar.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Ravel spoiler from 3rd playthrough.
You can 'save' ravel if you talk to mebeth with a black barbed seed in inventory.

what is it, you want more obscure stuff?

have you managed to join the chaosmen?
how about finding the hidden faction store in curst?
All of the stories you can tell in the brothel to teller-of-tales?
did you know that there are many options to weakening the chaos in curst gone? In fact, there is a option for all situations (situations that involve humans or non-hostile demons).
The brothel has a basement. Fairly useless place, but cool to see once
Pharod's 'stash' actually exists in-game
The chaosbox quest has a way to release a more powerful demon on curst gone if you don't get rid of it, with attendant greater reward

How many of these are from restored content? I know I did at least some of these...

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
None iirc. The most of the restored content limits itself to a the deionarra legacy, probably tying things that should not be tied.
I could also have mentioned the uses of the limlim, that's pretty obscure.

Lios

Cipher
re-started PS:T some weeks ago and remembered again why I love and hate this game with so much passion.

1) the text is so massive, that I felt that I got to re-experience some more minor characters and situations as if it was the first fuckin time. I was genuinely impressed by this. Also, we're talking bout massive A-OK writing here. I don't care if the game is not "deep enough" for some, and I don't care that some of its philosophy themes are not presented more academically. I don't want to have a philosophy seminar, I want a videogame made by people in love with it, so that it can penetrate my phantasy brain centers and cum awesomeness all over it, thus making me interested to STUDY some of the themes it presents IN THE REAL WORLD. Planescape did it in a way and that's because the whole thing smells of love from it creators, and it shows, at least in my eyes.

2) fighting is shit, you all know it, even those like me, that prefer to not bother too much with it. I truly believe that since battle is a part of the game (and since the game becomes more battle-oriented as you play towards the end) you can't expect from everyone to just nod with you and say "yeah whateva, TEXT MAN!". No! I mean, hell, it even has talking weapons and pants-down awesome knucklefists! And it didn't even have swords, which I adored as an idea.
Oh, also, good luck trying to aim in most mob fuckfests.
And for a strange reason, I seem to be more disappointed by the fighting system in this playthrough, rather than my first one( s ) .

3) Nearly all items are awesome, even the useless ones.
in PS:T, 1st playthrough years ago, I gathered useless junk in my inventory out of curiosity (and out of adventure-gaming habit of taking everything in hope it can be used somewhere), and later with said junk and some info I actually opened a portal! In Dragon age II for example, I gather boring shit that get categorized as "junk" that I get to sell.

4) These guys can't enter a room together. They seem to be challenged, most times, by the act of getting the fuck out of each other's way, so that certain actions can be done.
If you happen to enter a smaller room, like a small tent, for example, you'll waste 30 seconds of your time just to make a proper move ( and get that leather sofa Vhailor f.e to move next to Morte so that you can find space to maneuver the nameless corpse to have a conversation with the resident of the said tent- but, oh, oh: Annah is already there and she's already blocked by a wooden table and Dak'kon who's sitting next to her too).

5) didn't know shit bout the planescape universe before, since I don't dig rpg-ing outside of the pc screen, but I got so excited with PS:T that I searched for some sourcebooks or info bout the thing anyway, and boy, isn't the Planescape universe huge! It's explained/described perfectly in-game, but I would love to see and explore even more different locations.

6) this game really can invade your fantasy, man, which is priceless. Talking furniture, floating skulls, blah blah blah you know the deal so Imight as well just say "awesome".

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:necro:

Anyone know a screenshot utility that works with PS:T? Fraps takes only totally garbled pictures and the Print button pictures have a huge white stripe on the right side of the image. This happens on Windows 10 using the GoG version and playing at 1024x768 with GhostDog's UI.

Edit: The white stripe only shows up when using Paint to process the image, it works fine in Irfanview.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The easiest way to get mazed is: murder someone innocent, then area transition. It's that simple.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom