Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Is the CONx2 roll based on our damaged CON or base? This vivimancer may be required...

Rhenmyr asks the smith about turning the griffin pelt/feathers into armor.

Healing: It's based on your current CONx2, but if you applied the unguent, you would add +10 to your CON for your Stamina roll (so +20% on day 2, +30% on day 3, etc.) The salve he can make would be enough for 5 applications for 5 silver (or 100 bronzes)

Smithery: The bug-eyed dwarf looks over the thick pelt that you hastily field-dressed and sniffs it. After giving it a careful appraisal he says that it would take some time to tan the leather properly. If you can wait a week he should be able to make a very stout leather armor out of it, or if you'd prefer to trade, he's willing to make you a commission from some other other hide, or metal. He lays out a sample of dark-brown eelskin that is supple in the hand, and he takes a dagger and demonstrates that he can barely scratch its surface. He can make a soft leather armor that has a rating of 1D6+2 from it in two days if you'll also kick in some gold, gems or silver to go with the gyphon hide and feathers. His offer is the eel-hide armor for the gryphon hide plus either 3,000 bronzes, or 150 silver, or 3 gold (or eqv.)

Is Amon able to cast Solon's spells that he was able to write down in his grimoire yet? I don't know how much time has passed. I specifically looking at being able to cast witchsight. Not so much summoning demons. That might make a huge mess, but it could also be highly entertaining.

Amon follows Urash to the Haberdasher. He wishes to see if he can get in on some exchanges of a formula or two also.

Learning Spells: Maybe it's the ordeal in the swamp, or who knows what, but Solon has seemed almost helpful this past day or so and he notices you thumbing through his grimoire and mentions that you'll never figure out the cipher without his help. He almost seems eager to see if you can suss it out. If you want to try learning Witchsight, you'll need to study for a few days and then make an attempt to transcribe it. Perhaps it's because time moves funny here? . . . the normal rules are an INTx1 roll each week if you are being tutored.

The haberdasher seems pleased that more customers have filed into her shop. Let me know what you are interested in trading and for what.

I updated the first post of the thread with an Index section. If you need to refresh your memory about the sequence of events, the people you've met, or whatever it should hopefully be a little bit easier to go back and find what you're looking for.

I will bother Solon during my time here to learn his spells. He already transcribed them for me, I think I made a special language roll to understand the language they are written in. Do I only get to roll for 1 per week, or can I roll for more? Here is my first roll anyway.
[1d100] = 27 vs 19 = fail.

Using your handy dandy index I reread the forced Solon transcribing scene. From what you wrote, it looks like Amon just has to spend a week each to learn them as he already made his INT roll. His roll wasn't a special, it was Urash that had that. Let me know if I read that part incorrectly.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I will bother Solon during my time here to learn his spells. He already transcribed them for me, I think I made a special language roll to understand the language they are written in. Do I only get to roll for 1 per week, or can I roll for more? Here is my first roll anyway.
[1d100] = 27 vs 19 = fail.
You can only learn one spell at a time . . . Like I've mentioned before in our live game, I think I've kind of fucked up and not given you guys nearly enough down-time for this game to do the kind of training and study that the game's rules assume are commonplace.

As such I'm making an ad hoc ruling for the PbP game because it already tends to move so slowly. You can attempt to learn a spell once per day with an INTx1 roll when you are being taught. If you are studying in a library, or doing research unaided from a grimoire, the rate is 1 INTx1 roll per week. The live game is unchanged.

Using your handy dandy index I reread the forced Solon transcribing scene. From what you wrote, it looks like Amon just has to spend a week each to learn them as he already made his INT roll. His roll wasn't a special, it was Urash that had that. Let me know if I read that part incorrectly.
I trust your interpretation. In that case if you made the INT roll, then go ahead and say that you can transcribe one spell per day, so now that you'll have a bit of time to rest and recuperate, you will at least get Witchsight tomorrow.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
If the vivimancer is accessible, Rhenmyr would seek him out before choosing how this land will screw him next.

L'ennui

Magister
Not knowing how much time a few days of slumber might cost him in this otherworld, Urash resigns himself to buying the unguent. (I've removed one Gold Drake and 5 Silver Owls from Urash's inventory.)

To the haberdashery's keeper: "Would you care to see how I've transcribed a way to tap into arcane reservoirs in service of the art, or would you be interested in a means of divination? And what would you have to show me in exchange?" (Offering to give her a look at Brazier of Power and Omen)

nikolokolus

Arcane
If the vivimancer is accessible, Rhenmyr would seek him out before choosing how this land will screw him next.
The apothecarist tells you that the ferry leaves on the hour, assuming there is at least 1 passenger. He smiles faintly and turns to his other customers. Rhenmyr waits patiently for the Ferry to arrive. There are a couple of revelers who are already drunk: one a pot-bellied green-skinned man, with a nose like a diseased carrot, and a short blue-skinned fellow with wild red-hair about 2 feet tall in a bright yellow tartan. They look you up and down, but say nothing and return to their bawdy drinking songs. The ferry slides over the water from the island and as it approaches, Rhenmyr can't help but note that the barge is being poled by 12 large, 7' tall, (nude) busty maidens with long blond hair braided in plaits that hang down to their buttocks. They all look like they could be twins. They motion you aboard.

Borric finds a reasonably comfortable chair at a small kiosk where a dwarfish looking fellow with gin blossoms on his cheeks and nose is pouring drinks (1 bronze per cup). The brewer blinks constantly and grins like an idiot, as if everything being said to him is a gigantic joke. His brews smell fantastic however, and make your mouth water. He asks how you'd like to feel.

L'ennui The apothecary takes your money and returns with a clay pot full of a foul smelling, tarry paste. He helps you apply the ointment to your groin and armpits (better absorption he says) Your CON is now 16 vs disease. Make a CONx2 Stamina roll (32%( to see if it cures your disease today, and make a CON (6) vs. Potency (12) roll (20% chance to avoid loss of 1 DEX and 1 APP). If the cure doesn't work, you also lose 1 point of CON the following day. The disease has an unknown duration, but the apothecary suggests most afflicted recover on their own after about 5 to 7 "reveries."

The haberdasher seems very interested in both incantations, especially Brazier of Power. She asks what you would ike in return?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Assuming that everyone is willing to take a rest for a few days and recover some of their strength, we'll go ahead and do experience rolls.

Experience Rolls:

Send me a private message with all of your rolls. If you don't remember the process, it's pretty simple. Roll over your skill and add 1D6 points. If it's an Occupation skill it improves by 1D8. You can select 1 checked Occupation skill to automatically increase by 1D8. If your skill is greater than 100-INT, then the chance to improve is INTx1.

Characteristic Improvement:
If you have a check mark next to a Characteristic (STR, CON, INT, etc.) then you have a flat 21% chance to improve it.

Clear the check marks when you are done.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Meanwhile . . .

The Brewer talks with Borric, "You're a curious sort friend. You dress like a Red-Capper, but I'd swear with that face, you're a Knife-Alley Scrobbler. No wait, don't tell me, I've got it. You're a Hob. That's it, isn't it?" He smiles and spits in mug before wiping it out with a filthy looking towel. "You in town for awhile then? You gonna 'ead up and see one o' dem fine dollies of The Lady. I 'eard tell she got herself a real sweet red-header ta other day. Them dollies wot been touched with fire are sumpin else ain't they?"

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Meanwhile . . .

The Brewer talks with Borric, "You're a curious sort friend. You dress like a Red-Capper, but I'd swear with that face, you're a Knife-Alley Scrobbler. No wait, don't tell me, I've got it. You're a Hobbler. That's it, isn't it?" He smiles and spits in mug before wiping it out with a filthy looking towel. "You in town for awhile then? You gonna 'ead up and see one o' dem fine dollies of The Lady. I 'eard tell she got herself a real sweet red-header ta other day. Them dollies wot been touched with fire are sumpin else ain't they?"
"Aye, fireheads are a right catch."
Borric ponders this information, and shares it with his friends. Perhaps this redhead could be Oona.

Amon also offers up a few of his spells for transcription in exchange for something else.

Midnight, Cloak of Shadows, liken person.

"Would you happen to know of the whereabouts of the text of Al-Hakim?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Amon also offers up a few of his spells for transcription in exchange for something else.

Midnight, Cloak of Shadows, liken person.

"Would you happen to know of the whereabouts of the text of Al-Hakim?"
She peruses your grimoire and nods appreciatively and says she might be able to part with the cloak for all three of them. As to the Al-Hakim Text, she's never heard of it.

L'ennui

Magister
Seeing the haberdasher's eyes light up with interest, Urash continues: "Well, what are your specialities, Madam? Something that can keep me from danger would be welcome... or something that ends danger. What do you have?"

CONx2 roll: [1d100] = 82 vs 32. Nope! I've removed 1 DEX and 1 APP from Urash's character sheet.

CON vs Potency: [1d100] = 57 vs 20. Nope!

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm just going to offer up some advice. Clearly the apothecary doesn't think your affliction should be fatal, but remember that he is operating under the assumption that you are native to this place. Continuing to lose 1 CON per day as it is going now will prove fatal if you reach 0, so even assuming that your CON multiplier goes from x2 today, to x3 tomorrow and x4, etc. it might be in your best interest to pursue other opportunities.

Also, a little meta knowledge: Take advantage to rest-up, heal-up, trade-up while you can . . .

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Inhad a busy weekend. I'll post up proper actions tonight. I was thinking 2 more con dmg witch is damn deadly. 1 is bad enough. Wandering off alone to the island of snu snu sounds interesting, but never split the party.

L'ennui

Magister
"If you should happen to have some means of fortifying one's will and potency, that might also interest me... Ooh, and you wouldn't happen to know of a cure for Blood Fever, would you? Magical or otherwise."

Offering to exchange the secrets of Brazier of Power for Sorcerer's Soul.

Also, how many hitpoints was to apothecary able to heal for that Gold piece I gave him?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr's eye widen at the spectacle of the approaching ferry. He tries to maintain his composure and form coherent sentences. "Greetings fair ladies! Erhm, I am interested in meeting the vivamancer I have been told lives on yonder isle. Can you tell me of his or her practices and prices? Can it be true there is no toll for the trip to and from the isle?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
"If you should happen to have some means of fortifying one's will and potency, that might also interest me... Ooh, and you wouldn't happen to know of a cure for Blood Fever, would you? Magical or otherwise."

Also, how many hitpoints was to apothecary able to heal for that Gold piece I gave him?
Urash's Physik result [2d4] = 5

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr's eye widen at the spectacle of the approaching ferry. He tries to maintain his composure and form coherent sentences. "Greetings fair ladies! Erhm, I am interested in meeting the vivamancer I have been told lives on yonder isle. Can you tell me of his or her practices and prices? Can it be true there is no toll for the trip to and from the isle?"
They smile and exchange an odd look before one of them answers, "Come along and find out tiny man, we care not for his experiments. Besides, there's more to see than a vivimancer's musty laboratory. As for the toll, aye tis true. All it takes is for you to set your feet upon our barge and forget your troubles. Who can say for sure what delights and pleasures wait on Isle of the Mistress? Tis said every man's stay is unique and tailor-made to his wants and desires. What do you desire my dusky-hued friend?"

nikolokolus

Arcane

sorry forgot to actually answer your question, I was trying to post and wrap up work :P
The apothecary shrugs and says that the only person in town he might trust is Hulgi Scymes, but that he can be a difficult person to see, as he is frequently not at home. He also says that the weird group of hobs at the top of the gorge north of town brew all sorts of strange concoctions and that hobs are intimately familiar with the herbs and fungi of the High Wold and could probably brew up something specifically for Blood Fever if you asked nicely. Urash scrutinizes the apothecary (Special success!) and decides he isn't telling you everything, in fact his eyes seem to reflexively look to the right for some reason you see a diminutive figure lurking in a back room peaking through a curtain drawn across a doorway.

L'ennui

Magister
"Who is this Hulgi Scymes, and where might I find him? And while we're at it, why don't you tell your friend to come and say hi? Seems rude to eavesdrop without first introducing oneself."

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Hulgi, is on the Lady's Isle in the middle of the river. She keeps him close to hand and patronizes his work. We share a drink now and again if you must know." The apothecary's face blanches and he sputters a bit, "Wh-a-a-t?!" He then barks at the curtain, "Urx, what are you doing away from your work? Get back to the pestle and keep grinding that Oxroot, or I'll cut some withes and switch you black and blue!" The apothecary regains some of his composure and gives Urash a thin, closed-lip smile that is anything but friendly, "He's nobody, my assistant . . . a slacking, recalcitrant, that apparently needs to be reminded of whose shop this is. Now if we've no further business, I'll bid you good day."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Hmm. I desire solutions to my troubles and those of others. Forgetting about them would be less than helpful. Thank you ladies! I will consult my comrades. I may have more passengers for you shortly."
Rhenmyr returns to the group, describes the ferry, and relays the ferrywomen's description of the isle.
"The place sounds downright pleasant and the welcoming crew is very easy on the eyes. So obviously, something terrible awaits there. Urash, what have you decided on in search of a cure? The vivamancer or the apothecary's brew?"
Rhenmyr pauses in thought. "Perhaps we can find someone skilled in magical locks in this benighted land. I would like to know what that vile hyperborean has hidden away."

Any chance of help opening box we got from the Hyperborean assassin way back at the start of our adventure?
Besides the time, What does the smith want to make armor out of it? The eelskin armor is not so much better than what I've got to justify the cost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom