Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Playing Fallout 1 for the first time

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Fixt got replaced by TeamX Unofficial Patch which in turn got replaced by Fallout Et Tu (FO1 in FO2 engine with shit from the TeamX UP).
FO1 in FO2, interesting, did you try it ?

Hagashager

Educated
Fallout 1 is the best Fallout by far. It is very focused and its setting is simply realized. I don't believe it was meticulously rationalized though. Tim Cain said, himself at GDC that most of Fallout's design came from "X Movie/game/tv show/book is really cool!" Trying to find secret messages in F1 is really silly to me. That all said, as a game, it's consistent, it's focused, it knows what it wants and never gets mired in ridiculous aesthetics.

After playing Fallout 2 I've started thinking some of Bethesda's goofiness is in good faith. Seriously, large swaths of Fallout 2 are downright stupid and cartoony.

If you told me, "A Vault taken over by Death Claws" or "Tribal who gets routine dream visits from his shaman" I would immediately assume it's Bethesda bleeding Elder Scrolls in Fallout.

Yet both of those and many others are Fallout 2.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
If you told me, "A Vault taken over by Death Claws" or "Tribal who gets routine dream visits from his shaman" I would immediately assume it's Bethesda bleeding Elder Scrolls in Fallout.
The Deathclaws were stupid. I have a feeling they did that just so you could have a Deathclaw as a companion. A dog is one thing, but you kind of have to make a Deathclaw smart enough to disguise itself to walk through most towns. Though, I will admit, the smart Spore Plant that plays chess was kind of funny, but it wasn't exactly a huge thing like the Deathclaw vault.

The Shaman thing is a bit silly as well but there are a few things about Hakunin. There's nothing saying those dreams were real. It could very easily being your subconscious reminding you that you're on a mission. Now, having said that, The Master did have telepathic abilities as did the Psykers in his Vault. There's never any background established for Hakunin, so we really have no idea what all he's done, where he's been, and what he's been exposed to. I never got the impression there wasn't something he wouldn't ingest. I doubt he ever had a "Psychic Nullifier", so if something made him develop those abilities, they would have been unchained.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Fallout is perfect to play without any tinkering even on Steam version. BruceGPT is just a retard who can replay shit like Gothic 3 but not a <10 hour game in Fallout decides to change the experience from what it was supposed to be.

Last edited:

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Being able to tell a companion to move was nice, since they could block doorways and small paths.
It blows that your followers want to have your head impaled after you hit them, in the first Fallout. It'd be easy to clear the path, if they didn't!

In Fallout 2, once a permanent companion joined your group, you can kick them / punch them, even smash them with a melee weapon to send them to another hex, and they'd remain allied to the main character.

If you ask them to wait for your return and slap them afterwards, they behave like in Fallout and murder you for this.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Fixt got replaced by TeamX Unofficial Patch which in turn got replaced by Fallout Et Tu (FO1 in FO2 engine with shit from the TeamX UP).
Et Tu is not Fallout, it's a fan-made remake. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...t-in-the-fallout-2-engine.131770/post-6525522
It’s not, it uses the scripts and maps from Fallout 1. Actually Fallout Fixt which I was wrong about a few pages ago (normie or ds caught this)

Despite all of Fixt’s retardation, Lexx has gone to great lengths to strip all the mod-added content out / leave it disabled by default. The reason it serves as the basis for 1in2 is that the maps and scripts from F1 were already converted to the F2 engine format in Fixt.

Converted, not remade.

That being said, it’s quite easy to play F1 today in a modern resolution and with TeamX’s latest patch. It’s a bit harder than 1in2, because of some default 1in2 settings like restocking caps.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It blows that your followers want to have your head impaled after you hit them, in the first Fallout. It'd be easy to clear the path, if they didn't!
But it was a feature everyone loved in Doom! I think the problem with it is that if you're in the middle of a gun fight, particularly with a lot of people, no one is going to legitimately know who shot who under most circumstances. The Fallout 1 NPCs turning hostile over getting a bullet that came from your gun has always been "game logic".

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Et Tu is not Fallout, it's a fan-made remake. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...t-in-the-fallout-2-engine.131770/post-6525522
It’s not, it uses the scripts and maps from Fallout 1. Actually Fallout Fixt which I was wrong about a few pages ago (normie or ds caught this)

Despite all of Fixt’s retardation, Lexx has gone to great lengths to strip all the mod-added content out / leave it disabled by default. The reason it serves as the basis for 1in2 is that the maps and scripts from F1 were already converted to the F2 engine format in Fixt.

Converted, not remade.

That being said, it’s quite easy to play F1 today in a modern resolution and with TeamX’s latest patch. It’s a bit harder than 1in2, because of some default 1in2 settings like restocking caps.
It also allows you to input any number of caps for buying/selling.
In the base game it only goes up to 999.

Jigby

Augur
Personally I prefer the OG + teamx + sfall. It has 99% of the QoL stuff, that I find useful and it doesn't contain the mechanical/content changes from EtTu.

Jigby

Augur

AndyS

Augur

The Shaman thing is a bit silly as well but there are a few things about Hakunin. There's nothing saying those dreams were real. It could very easily being your subconscious reminding you that you're on a mission. Now, having said that, The Master did have telepathic abilities as did the Psykers in his Vault. There's never any background established for Hakunin, so we really have no idea what all he's done, where he's been, and what he's been exposed to. I never got the impression there wasn't something he wouldn't ingest. I doubt he ever had a "Psychic Nullifier", so if something made him develop those abilities, they would have been unchained.
This is how I read it. What the tribals think of as magic could very well be signs of further mutation in some people resulting in psychic abilities and Hakunin is projecting himself to you with those abilities.

Aside from that, Fallout 2 definitely feels like the team on the game testing the boundaries of what they could get away with, occasionally tripping over them, like with the ghost girl. It seems like most of the people who worked on it agreed that they went too far, which is why New Vegas is more restrained.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yes, Fallout 2 is way goofier than the previous game, but that doesn't mean it's still not a great game.
I prefer the talking Deathclaws to whatever the fuck Bethesda conjured or the current Fallout show...

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
After playing Fallout 2 I've started thinking some of Bethesda's goofiness is in good faith.
Goofiness wasn't the big problem, "You all loved football so we'd like to present to you......Football 2: Basketball !!!" was the big problem. Oh and finding a fully functional laser weapon in a trashcan 5 minutes into the game proper; retard shit.

Doc Sportello

Learned
Patron
Which version of sfall are you using for Fallout 1?
sfall1 1.8
It has most of the "big" quality of life enhancements (automatic opening of doors, auto-reload after combat, inventory filter, some highlighting, take-all button, mappable "use" hotkey... check the ddraw.ini)
Oh that's the one I'm also using, very good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom