Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Playing PS:T for the first time

MasPingon

Arcane
Necro, but what the hell.
So, I finally managed to acquire PS:T, thanks to the awesome sale going on at GOG right now.
Question @ experts: should I follow this modding guide? http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide

edit: oh boy, this is gonna be fun

Have fun.
My advise: don't actually "role play" by creating the character you want. Better stick with the default fighter.
Although I didn't try the other classes, I was terribly disappointed on my last (attempted) play through that choosing to become a mage basically screws you for 3-4 levels of experience.

:whatho:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I fell like I need more games like this but unfortunately only Pillars of Eternity is close to it.
Mask of the Betrayer is the closest to PST, in some ways better, in others worse. The"evil" path is the most glorious ever designed for a game and should be mandatory teaching for anyone trying to implement multiple paths. It's absolutely worth playing, though do NOT bother with the NWN2 OC, just skip straight to MotB.

Mask of the Betrayer is the closest to PST, in some ways better, in others worse. The"evil" path is the most glorious ever designed for a game and should be mandatory teaching for anyone trying to implement multiple paths. It's absolutely worth playing, though do NOT bother with the NWN2 OC, just skip straight to MotB.

Thank you! I will try this. I read that is a wonderful experience.

I tried it and I don't like the fact that the font is so small. I think I'm going to stick to BG2 EE for now.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

I tried it and I don't like the fact that the font is so small. I think I'm going to stick to BG2 EE for now.
get a UI mod. and stay away from those godawful enderped editions.

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
I know you'd want me to. But I'll not stand quiet! No. I'll Scream the injustice of this perspective out so loud that the walls of the web echo it forever!

get a UI mod. and stay away from those godawful enderped editions.
Thank you all! But why the hate for the EE? The latest patch makes the game a lot better then it used to be. I know it had bugs but a lot where ironed out. I know that there where also mods for all infinity engine games but they had a lot of issues. I will try to mod NWN 2 : MOTB. I really want to see much a game can come even close to the masterpiece that is PS:T.

Last edited:
I installed "Tchos' HD UI panels and dialogue compilation and expansion" and it's better but still want bigger font :) Nevermind, managed to increase it myself. Great mod. Now I can finally play :D

Last edited:

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Also get some "fixes" mod that fixeds bugs etc. It's fallout-esque when it comes to that shit.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
:necro:

I'm planning on playing PST, last time I played it my saves went kaput. Should I play with unfinished business? Is the restored stuff any good?

Perkel

Arcane
:necro:

I'm planning on playing PST, last time I played it my saves went kaput. Should I play with unfinished business? Is the restored stuff any good?

It doesn't really add that much. Playing vanilla or not doesn't matter.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I'm replaying it now for the 3rd time, in small chunks. The first two times were vanilla, but after one playthrough there is no reason NOT to go the unfinished business route. also Running it in 720p on my 1080p strikes a great balance of it looking awesome but not too tiny. took a few tries to get the ui scaling right, but it looks even better than the first time i played, and like Fallout 1/2 it's one of those games i keep finding new experiences and things i didn't notice before.

duanth123

Arcane
Last edited by a moderator:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did in 2005. All that reactivity and intricate dialogue made me feel all warm and tingly inside.

I tried replaying it a few months ago...meh.
Replying an old comment but the key is to have a long enough break between playthroughs so that you have forgotten everything. I played it last time 2001 so now it feels almost all fresh and new.

Dux

Arcane
At a high resolution - with the widescreen mod installed - I'd say this game looks noticably better than any other IE title out there. In terms graphical fidelity, animation and general detail. This impression might get somewhat diminished at lower resolutions but juxtaposed with the newer BG2 for instance (with its own widescreen mod installed) Torment still comes across as superior. Or maybe that's just me.

Additionally, if you play a really underwhelming RPG - such as Witcher 2 for example - there's no better remedy than PS:T. If you're prepared to commit to it, that is.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At a high resolution - with the widescreen mod installed - I'd say this game looks noticably better than any other IE title out there. In terms graphical fidelity, animation and general detail. This impression might get somewhat diminished at lower resolutions but juxtaposed with the newer BG2 for instance (with its own widescreen mod installed) Torment still comes across as superior. Or maybe that's just me.
I like PST like any other cultist around here, but to say it looks better than IWD I or IWD II is quite a stretch.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I like PST like any other cultist around here, but to say it looks better than IWD I or IWD II is quite a stretch.
Sorry bro, even at original reslotion PST looks better than all the rest of the Inifity games. Why? The detail. Take a closer look and you can see that the rest of the Infinity games have this more zoomed out, strategy game kind of view. PST on the other hand, everything is rendered with much more detail and looks more authentic. Its just more intricately textured and rendered and feels more intimate.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, PS:T has an amazing level of detail for an IE game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom