Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Playstation 2

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
What should I buy? They're super cheap nowadays so I can throw away a bunch of money on PS2 games and get a lot of them for the value. Most of the time the shipping is more expensive than the games.

Here are the games I have:

Twisted Metal Black (which is almost as good as TM2)
Contra Shattered Soldier
Final Fantasy 10, 10-2, 12
Deus Ex
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (guess whether me or my dad bought this)
Onimusha 1 and 2 (got them at a flea market, they're shit though)
God of War 2
Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
Warship Gunner 2
Jak 3
GTA Vice City

Ordered:
Dynasty Warriors 5 (I've owned 3 and 4 in the past)
Samurai Warriors

Games I want bumy inner jew tells me no:
Warriors Orochi 2
Ico
Katamari Damacy

Games I've played:
God of War, GTA3, Devil May Cry (these games are shit), Prince of Persia, MGS 2 and a little bit of 3 but I thought they were both bad

Hey is the Syphon Filter for PS2 any good? I really liked the original for PS1.

Zomg

Arbiter
I liked the Gamecube port of Freedom Fighters, kinda Syphon Filterish game IIRC

Kessen III is kinda like Dynasty Warriors but different enough that you can still play it after you get sick of DW5

If youre interested in wrestling, Def Jam: Fight for NY is kinda fun

def-jam-fight-for-ny-20040914002159950_640w.jpg

bert

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
What should I buy? They're super cheap nowadays so I can throw away a bunch of money on PS2 games and get a lot of them for the value. Most of the time the shipping is more expensive than the games.

Here are the games I have:

Twisted Metal Black (which is almost as good as TM2)
Contra Shattered Soldier
Final Fantasy 10, 10-2, 12
Deus Ex
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (guess whether me or my dad bought this)
Onimusha 1 and 2 (got them at a flea market, they're shit though)
God of War 2
Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
Warship Gunner 2
Jak 3
GTA Vice City

Ordered:
Dynasty Warriors 5 (I've owned 3 and 4 in the past)
Samurai Warriors

Games I want bumy inner jew tells me no:
Warriors Orochi 2
Ico
Katamari Damacy

Games I've played:
God of War, GTA3, Devil May Cry (these games are shit), Prince of Persia, MGS 2 and a little bit of 3 but I thought they were both bad

Hey is the Syphon Filter for PS2 any good? I really liked the original for PS1.

GODHAND MOTHERFUCKER, GODHAND

FUCK EVERYTHING ELSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2MvIC4j6E

gh2or4.jpg
:love:

desocupado

Magister
If you like fighting games, There's DBZ Budokai 3, quite fun. Stay away from that Tekken shit. Boring like fuck.

God Hand for a hard silly game, although a bit repetitive

Zone of Enders, the 2nd Runner, good action game by Konami, great graphics, fun gameplay.

The first Prince of Persia, Viewtiful Joe.

Will edit, if I think of any more.

DefJam101

Arcane
Rest of the Ratchet & Clank games are pretty good, assuming you like GC
Whatever back-compatible Wipeout games you can find, not Fusion (the only PS2 one, which sucks)
Freedom Fighters is cool as zomg said
Pandora Dragoon (the sega port) if you can find it
Guilty Gear X2

desocupado said:
Zone of Enders, the 2nd Runner, good action game by Konami, great graphics, fun gameplay.
Also very cool

Drakron

Arcane
I beat Zone of Enders, the 2nd Runner ... the PAL version with Naked Anubis being substantial harder that the american versions, or so I was told.

TWICE!

/jp made me play Ar Tonelico (1-2) but the un-dub version, the English voices are god aweful so I cannot suggest you play them, liked AT2 a lot due to the crazy story pacing that sudden happens.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Buy Black, it's the best FPS on Play 2,
Mercenaries is good,
GTA San andreas damn good,
Burnout 3 is decent,
Gran Turismo 4 if you're into race simulators, Resident Evil 4 is pretty cool,
Okami is definitely a great Zelda like game,
Prince of Persia games,
James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing (trust me),
Shadow of the Colossus very nice and original but short, Kingdom Hearts (I'm guessing you don't mind the gayness if you played FF X-2)
need for speed hot pursuit 2 and most wanted are ok,
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege has french badass Jean Reno,
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance was dumb fun,

well, those are the ones I have most fond memories of, any doubts feel free to ask.

Also, Syphon Filter is shit and DMC rocks.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
What about P3 FES? Blood is everywhere and the main character can play pop a mole on a real pop a mole device. Also there are girls for dating (all of them are crazy).

zeitgeist

Magister
Front Mission 4 (sadly not the best Front Mission game but still)
Ring of Red (alternate history post-WW 2 tactical RPG)

I feel like I'm missing a pretty good tactical RPG here but I can't remember its name, what other genre titles were there?

If you can stand horrible anime (intentional and unintentional) parody, then Disgaea and other similar Atlus games. Might want to try Final Fantasy 12 as it's the closest to pre-Sephiroth FF games of all post-Sephiroth titles.

Whichever SSX and/or Tony Hawk games there were on the PS2, great for mindless entertainment and watching the combo scores rise, and whichever Armored Core games there were, for mech customization.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Chaos Legion (Nice action game)

Shadow of the Collosus (Awesome game)

Godhand (Awesome game)

There's more warship gunner/commander games if you want more of the same.

Jade Cocoon 2 (If you like pokemon type games and don't mind a billion hours of squeeky voice acting)

Shining Force Neo or Exa (Both pretty much the same addictive lootwhoring action game. Nothing to do with the original shining force games, they're ripoffs of Record of Lodoss War for the Dreamcast, which was fucking awesome.)

SMT: Nocturne (Awesome jrpg, probably the best one released since the death of the PSX)

Armored Core 2 + Armored Core 2:AA (Awesome mech games, especially if you can find someone to play against with system link. Series declines after these two)

SLAI: Steel Lancer Arena International (Another cool mech game much more action packed/arcade style, ripoff of Phantom Crash for the Xbox, which was slightly better, though this has online versus play, assuming the servers haven't died yet.)

Disgaea/Disgaea 2/Makai Kingdom (Worth picking up one of these 3 just to see if you like the genre. NIS has cranked out a lot of these fuckers, I find them entertaining enough for a little more than one playthrough but never bother with all the level 300+ bonus crap)

Romance of the 3 Kingdoms :somenumberhere: (Again, worth checking out to see if you like that kind of game.)

Oh; and go ahead and pick up Katamari Damacy, it's amusing in and of itself, and it's something you can play with people who can't actually play video games decently, like small children and stupid friends.

desocupado

Magister
zeitgeist said:
Front Mission 4 (sadly not the best Front Mission game but still)
Ring of Red (alternate history post-WW 2 tactical RPG)

I feel like I'm missing a pretty good tactical RPG here but I can't remember its name, what other genre titles were there?

If you can stand horrible anime (intentional and unintentional) parody, then Disgaea and other similar Atlus games. Might want to try Final Fantasy 12 as it's the closest to pre-Sephiroth FF games of all post-Sephiroth titles.

Whichever SSX and/or Tony Hawk games there were on the PS2, great for mindless entertainment and watching the combo scores rise, and whichever Armored Core games there were, for mech customization.

Oh, I remember Ring of Red. The game was very cool, but the battles dragged on forever. You know, in a tipical tactical JRPG, like FFT, when you move a char and send it to attack, and it swings a sword, hits an enemy and receives a counter attack?
Well, in Ring of Red that takes about 3 minutes, if I recall correctly.

When you attack in that game, you enter in the view of the mech, where you walk towards you target, and as you get close, your accuracy rises, but so do the chances of you getting shot first. It's very interesting, but makes the game drag for very long.

If you have patience, try the game, it's nice.

Pablosdog

Prophet
ico5.jpg

Ico

silent_screen004.jpg

Silent hill 2

silenthill3_screen017.jpg

Silent hill 3

con10_2.jpg

Champions of Norrath

code_veronica.jpg

Code veronica

bge_01small.jpg

Beyond Good and Evil

914795_20031208_screen006.jpg

Maximo

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Some already mentioned:

- Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
- Warship Gunner 2
- Okami
- Metal Slug Anthology
- Ace Combat 5: TUW
- Ace Combat Zero: TBW

Ring of Red
The lack of "save" option in mission killed it for me when trying to tackle a 5 hour mission.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Only two I can really recommend that you don't have are Killer 7 and Beyond Good and Evil.

Felix

Arcane
Fatal Frame 1 & 2

Shadow of the Collosus

The framerate and vast space with nothing interesting kill it for me, also it's Colossus.

deuxhero

Arcane
Raidou Kuzunoha Vs King Abaddon and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. The rest of the MegaTen games (bar Digital Devil Saga) are fun as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom