Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please delete this account

Groover

Literate
You've been here less than a month. Why do you want to leave?
The site isn't what I thought it was. I was under the impression that it was one of the last internet platforms for gaming-centric free speech, and it's definitely more permissive of that than something like Reddit (which outright censors unpopular opinions), but I think the forums here are largely characterised by stupid levels of nostalgia. There seems to be a denial of progress, and any earnest attempts at critiquing codex-beloved classics are just immediately viewed as decline. There's something a little demoralizing about really going out of your way to write something with attention to the finer points, and having it refuted with cheap generalities and, at the risk of triggering the hivemind, just a sort of mean-spiritedness. I understand how that can be read as my being a snowflake (God knows the world seems to be absolutely polluted with them right now), but there might be some kind of over-correction. I paraphrase, but even the mods jest at having to wait to be approved before conversing with the other "retards". It's like there's only so much cynicism you can consume before it just gets nauseating.

Viewed from another lens, I don't think the written format is conducive to meaningful debate, and it's easy to minsinterpret what someone writes since there's no tonal inflection, or room for immediate correction. We also tend to taint words with the mood we're currently in. And it's addictive to see that little notification bell in response to something you've written, only to have your attention pulled for some dumb strawman bullshit that argues from the basis of some kind of superiority. It's just a bit tiresome, and life has gotten rougher with the general increase in cost-of-living, so it's important to sort out my time and dedicate it to the things that bring abundance.

Thanks for asking though

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Viewed from another lens, I don't think the written format is conducive to meaningful debate, and it's easy to minsinterpret what someone writes since there's no tonal inflection, or room for immediate correction.

That's what makes online discourse fun, though. In any event, sorry it wasn't your cup of tea, brother.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It's like there's only so much cynicism you can consume before it just gets nauseating.
This is the one sentence in your post with which I can agree. Codex is certainly not for everyone, and the cynicism here is weapons-grade. We exude something here that is hard to define that either hooks someone or repels them.

I might suggest sticking around a little while longer to see if we can reel you in, but otherwise good luck to you.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The site isn't what I thought it was. I was under the impression that it was one of the last internet platforms for gaming-centric free speech, and it's definitely more permissive of that than something like Reddit (which outright censors unpopular opinions), but I think the forums here are largely characterised by stupid levels of nostalgia. There seems to be a denial of progress, and any earnest attempts at critiquing codex-beloved classics are just immediately viewed as decline. There's something a little demoralizing about really going out of your way to write something with attention to the finer points, and having it refuted with cheap generalities and, at the risk of triggering the hivemind, just a sort of mean-spiritedness. I understand how that can be read as my being a snowflake (God knows the world seems to be absolutely polluted with them right now), but there might be some kind of over-correction. I paraphrase, but even the mods jest at having to wait to be approved before conversing with the other "retards". It's like there's only so much cynicism you can consume before it just gets nauseating.

Viewed from another lens, I don't think the written format is conducive to meaningful debate, and it's easy to minsinterpret what someone writes since there's no tonal inflection, or room for immediate correction. We also tend to taint words with the mood we're currently in. And it's addictive to see that little notification bell in response to something you've written, only to have your attention pulled for some dumb strawman bullshit that argues from the basis of some kind of superiority. It's just a bit tiresome, and life has gotten rougher with the general increase in cost-of-living, so it's important to sort out my time and dedicate it to the things that bring abundance.

Thanks for asking though

I think with this kind of insight you can be a worthwhile addition to the madhouse. Give it time, in a year or two you are equally retarded, cynical and grumpy.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Thanks for asking though

The problem is that you care too much about what others think. My advice is don't. Like in every community you will have intelligent people and others that make you wonder how they're able to survive on their own with their levels of retardation. You also begin to see the wisdom that child safety laws were a mistake and where only the intelligent survive.

Case in point is the retard that rated my post butthurt and they know I can't see who rated it due to being on my retard list.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Case in point on retards. Soggy is ignored due to her harassing me and I am allowed to ignore her. What does the cunt do? Go around like the good retard she is and make childish comments about me knowing I can't see them. How much of a fucking retard do you have to be to do that shit?

Soggy is one of the people that survived due to child safety laws.

Groover

Literate
The problem is that you care too much about what others think. My advice is don't.
I get that, and I have deep respect for people with just the right levels of not-giving-a-fuck, but you have to care at least a little bit if you're going to really dig deeply into something. It's hard to make meaningful analyses from a non-committal point of view.
This is the one sentence in your post with which I can agree. Codex is certainly not for everyone, and the cynicism here is weapons-grade. We exude something here that is hard to define that either hooks someone or repels them.

I might suggest sticking around a little while longer to see if we can reel you in, but otherwise good luck to you.
You're right, I haven't been around for long, so, if it's not already too late, I'm willing to follow that counsel. Thanks for taking the time to respond intelligently.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I get that, and I have deep respect for people with just the right levels of not-giving-a-fuck, but you have to care at least a little bit if you're going to really dig deeply into something. It's hard to make meaningful analyses from a non-comittal point of view.

Who said that you shouldn't care about what you like? My point was that you shouldn't care about what others think. If you do then they end up ruining life for you.

Groover

Literate
I get that, and I have deep respect for people with just the right levels of not-giving-a-fuck, but you have to care at least a little bit if you're going to really dig deeply into something. It's hard to make meaningful analyses from a non-comittal point of view.

Who said that you shouldn't care about what you like? My point was that you shouldn't care about what others think. If you do then they end up ruining life for you.
Why post in a forum if you don't care to hear about what others think :cool:

There seems to be a denial of progress, and any earnest attempts at critiquing codex-beloved classics are just immediately viewed as decline. There's something a little demoralizing about really going out of your way to write something with attention to the finer points, and having it refuted with cheap generalities and, at the risk of triggering the hivemind, just a sort of mean-spiritedness.
But you haven't actually done this. This hasn't happened to you and you've only made up a cynical potential scenario that might not actually play out the way you think it may.
If there's actually any sort of "nauseating" part about this forum, it is exactly the fact that people here seem to consistently make up weird scenarios in their head on how things might go and base their posting habits around said made up scenarios.

Roll the dice, you fucking cowards. It's legitimately demeaning and saddening to see people shy away from expressing their true opinions, starting interesting debates and causing people to share their unique viewpoints simply because someone MIGHT be a tad bit rude or someone MIGHT spam them with silly reaction emoticons.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Also best argument, we have users called HeyCheckOutHowHardICanPee, there are wonders in this forum you have not yet seen, what could be around the next corner? Is it Asspiss? is it MyCockExplodesDueToDiarrhea?

Only one way to find out.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Why post in a forum if you don't care to hear about what others think :cool:

Because it's fun to piss them off when they realize they have no impact on your life.

:brodex:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It's like there's only so much cynicism you can consume before it just gets nauseating.

None are more cynical than you Scruffy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom