Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Sales Analysis Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
Considering how shitty the campaign becomes after act 1, lack of completion might be a good thing for the game's reputation.
One could say Obsidian knew all this and made their game accordingly :)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well it's the first part of the game that gets good ratings from metacritic, and Obsidian developed the start of the game right at the end (Vertical Slice -> Defiance Bay -> Endless Paths -> Twin Elms -> Gilded Vale/etc). A wise decision in that regard.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Two months in and almost as many copies as Wasteland 2 has sold in eight, but they failed to match D:OS's record of 500k despite the stronger start. Feargus Urquhart shakes his fist at GTAV and Witcher 3.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Two months in and almost as many copies as Wasteland 2 has sold in eight, but they failed to match D:OS's record of 500k despite the stronger start. Feargus Urquhart shakes his fist at GTAV and Witcher 3.
Well it is a more polished game than WL2 and had less bugs at release. Also WL2 is an uglier game and average gamers value nice graphics and good art.

Lhynn

Arcane
Roguey
Sensuki

The alternative would be quality writing and bearable gameplay. In the end this game should have sold a fuck ton more than D:OS if it had either, just by word of mouth alone, but most people play, get bored and quit so the hype for this game died really fast.

imweasel

Feargus Urquhart shakes his fist at GTAV and Witcher 3.
Cities: Skyline has been chugging along nicely in the top 10 since March. Damn GTA V and Witc----

Oh wait.

The alternative would be quality writing and bearable gameplay. In the end this game should have sold a fuck ton more than D:OS if it had either, just by word of mouth alone, but most people play, get bored and quit so the hype for this game died really fast.
This.

Pillars of Eternity Pillows of Sawyerism is almost out of the top 50 now.

Athelas

Arcane
What a bizarre argument. PoE will never sell as much as D:OS because D:OS has co-op and a more modern presentation. I predicted as much before either game was released.

'This game isn't selling well because I don't like it' has never been a very convincing argument. Isn't one of the bedrocks upon which the Codex was founded that good games don't necessarily sell well?

Roguey
Sensuki

I suggest looking up achievements to see how many people have finished big Kickstarter RPG's. You might be surprised by the results (i.e. they contradict your claim).

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Athelas
I suggest you watching a coupe of RK47 D:OS combat videos. It illustrates my position well enough. Its more fun, when you play it you want to talk about it with your friends. Not to mention that cyseal is a blast and very replayable.

Not following your reasoning there, what does finishing the game has to do with anything?

Athelas

Arcane
Athelas
I suggest you watching a coupe of RK47 D:OS combat videos. It illustrates my position well enough. Its more fun, when you play it you want to talk about it with your friends. Not to mention that cyseal is a blast and very replayable.
Uhm...what does this have to do what I said? I played D:OS and I liked its combat. I said making a good game doesn't guarantee said game will have good sales, and making a bad game doesn't guarantee bad sales. D:OS having enjoyable combat was never in dispute by anyone here.

Not following your reasoning there, what does finishing the game has to do with anything?
I guess I can understand how you can have trouble following it if you suffer from spontaneous dementia. Let me quote what you said mere minutes ago:
most people play, get bored and quit

Of course, this discussion erroneously assumes PoE has sold badly. There is plenty of middle ground between 'bad sales' and 'D:OS sales'. Would you say WL2 (which has been on sale IIRC) sold badly?

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Pillars of Eternity II: Firedorn's Revenge

Center the story around a party of Transgendered atheists trying to find the meaning of life. No Combat, you just explore places and bang the locales.

The game will be very.. Engaging.. :cool:

Game Of The Century.

Lhynn

Arcane
Uhm...what does this have to do what I said? I played D:OS and I liked its combat. I said making a good game doesn't guarantee said game will have good sales, and making a bad game doesn't guarantee bad sales. D:OS having enjoyable combat was never in dispute by anyone here.
A good game to talk about and share your experience, los of videos showing people having fun and being creative with it.
Even my popamole and my hipsters friends played it and enjoyed it.

I guess I can understand how you can have trouble following it if you suffer from spontaneous dementia. Let me quote what you said mere minutes ago:
most people play, get bored and quit
I was implying that people didnt bother to talk about it, not that they finished it or didnt. PoE is a rather uneventful experience with not interesting or creative moments, you play it, then you stop, thats all there is to it. D:OS lends itself to unique gameplay, ergo word of mouth

Of course, this discussion erroneously assumes PoE has sold badly. There is plenty of middle ground between 'bad sales' and 'D:OS sales'. Would you say WL2 (which has been on sale IIRC) sold badly?
No, this discussion asumes it sold more than it should have. But not as much as it could have if it was an actual fun game to play.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Cities: Skyline has been chugging along nicely in the top 10 since March. Damn GTA V and Witc----

Oh wait.

That's a sim, those appeal to people who aren't particularly interested in combat as a way of resolving conflicts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's a sim, those appeal to people who aren't particularly interested in combat as a way of resolving conflicts.

It's also practically the only worthwhile game of its genre in years and years, coming straight off of a high profile AAA disappointment

(inb4 so is PoE with DA:I being the AAA disappointment, but no, not really)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Pillars of Eternity isn't going to beat Divinity fast. Dat co-op is overpowered in terms of getting every core RPGer and their girlfriend to buy a copy a piece for great justice of huge short terms sales.

That said, it will probably sell more than Divinity on Steam in the long run.

The thing I find curious is Sword Coast Legends and how it will fit into all of this.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity isn't going to beat Divinity fast. Dat co-op is overpowered in terms of getting every core RPGer and their girlfriend to buy a copy a piece for great justice of huge short terms sales.

That said, it will probably sell more than Divinity on Steam in the long run.

The thing I find curious is Sword Coast Legends and how it will fit into all of this.
Probably better wait to see what the EE does for D:OS (might still get beat on Steam since the big sell is for consoles).

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Roguey
Sensuki

This, so much this, if PoE would cause strong reactions people would talk about it and keep it going by word of mouth, but because it's quite bland and the reaction from the most people is "meh", word of mouth has dried up, although the expansion might get it nice sales.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The Steam reviews are decently favorable. Something like 2000+ positive reviews to 700+ negative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom