Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline POLL: Roshan's Quick and Brutal 2015 RPGOTY Survey

Vote for your top 1 to 3 RPG's of the year:

• Total voters

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
This poll is really, really bad. Satellite Reign, Legends of Eisenwald, Hard West, ICY, Bedlam, Telepath Tactics, Invisible Inc, and Hard West are blatant non-rpgs. Victor Vran is way to rpg-lite to be considered an Arpg.​

I agree with no Jrpgs, since they are not even close to rpgs. I really liked ICY and Telepath Tactics but they are not rpgs, period. I really liked Templar Battleforce and I honestly just don't see it. Heroes of Steel, yes, I see it. But not Templar. Hard West, Invisible Inc (both of which are extremely rpg-lite) are clearly squad TBS with extremely lite rpg elements.

This is the bottom line - if developers want their games counted they should make proper rpgs. If people want games you really like counted you should really like proper rpgs.

Blackguards 2 has enough going on outside of the squad TBS mode to somewhat muddy the lines, wheras Templar really doesn't. And I like Templar and hate BG 2 with a firey passion for them ripping the DSA system out of it. But BG 2 should stay.

I think Sword Coast Legends is complete trash garbage and even though it is very rpg-lite it is still has the wrappings of a proper rpg, but should clearly be included.

I, personally, wouldn't even put Kyn on the list as it is a little muddy but not muddy enough to warrant inclusion.

Why would you include Legends of Eisenwald but not HoMM 7? In rpgs they don't rape you and take all your shit and your squad all the time for no reason. It is very rpg-lite and is not a rpg at all. It is HoMM type game. I don't know enough about Underrail and Chroma Squad and Carribean to comment other than the first two are kids games and why not include Wizards 101 and Disney Infinity?

I like the idea of this post, but you need to remove the non-rpgs for this to be valid.

If you check the poll results, you'd see that very few voted for most of those games except for some obvious trolls. I'd say that at this point, 5 votes is the cutoff, anything that hasn't gotten 5 Codex votes is just totally useless and not really worth considering as one of the good RPG's of 2015. I included all of them because I didn't want to get into "what is an RPG?", but Codexia itself has spoken and those games simply don't make the cut.

A game that is not an RPG and has few redeeming qualities has very little chance of getting votes compared to titans like Underrail, Age of Decadence and Serpent in the Staglands. That's why I like the "3 votes" format, it's based on natural selection, only the fittest can compete.

If you look at the games that are at or above the 5 vote cutoff point, you do have Legends of Eisenwald, Invisible Inc, Telepath Tactics, Hard West, Voidspire Tactics, that have very light RPG elements, but it appears that they are solid, good games and I'd consider them "tactical RPGs" of a sort, and if they've stood up against full fledged RPGs and held their ground then they do deserve honor and recognition.

Voidspire Tactics is a full fledged crpg with all the bells and whistles. I agree the other games may deserve recognition and honor, but not when compared to rpgs. When viewed through a rpg lens they are complete failures as rpgs. The fact they are getting votes has nothing to do with anything besides the fact that people liked them and can vote for them when they should not be an option, or should be in a separate poll for non-rpg games with some rpg elements.

If you put Metal Gear on the list, or Rainbow Six, they would both get a shit ton of votes too. You have to see that is true. And admitting that is true you have to see the poll is invalid. There should be a separate poll for those games, or this site should change its name.

Telengard

Arcane
The site should change its name... Hmm.

Console Game Codex
The Video Game* Codex
Nerd Codex
Graphics Whore Codex
Desu Desu Codex
Kawaii Codex
Why won't Chris Avellone love us? Codex

* For those too young: video games are on consoles, computer games are on PCs

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Console Game Codex
The Video Game* Codex
Nerd Codex
Graphics Whore Codex
Desu Desu Codex
Kawaii Codex

Are you new here?

Telengard

Arcane

Console Game Codex
The Video Game* Codex
Nerd Codex
Graphics Whore Codex
Desu Desu Codex
Kawaii Codex

Are you new here?
Can't a guy have a little fun with wordplay just for the sake of wordplay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom