Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

POLL - Which famous codexers should be in the Project Eternity Codex squad?

Which famous codexers should be in the Project Eternity Codex squad?

• Total voters

Stinger

Arcane
So again, what are the codex archetypes? We need to establish those first I think.

People who are so edgy they start shitting on even the classics would be one I guess, I don't know what to call this so temporarily I'll call this 'The Skyway' but we'll come up with something better later.

Then 'The Apologist', the guys who apologise and make excuses for enjoying even the worst of the decline.

Then there would be 'The Artist', i.e. the guys who photoshop all the lulz. T

hen I guess 'the Messenger' i.e. the meltdown approach of bringing all the lulz and decline to us for our entertainment and fuel for our rage.

So that's 4 out of 6 there, anyone else I'm missing?

The combatfag / Minmaxer, who is wearing a crazy mishmash of equipment that makes him look ridiculous but also gives him the most bonuses

The grimdark guy, who has a permanent scowl and wears a Vault jumpsuit colored black, grey and blood red.

The supremacist could be the PC guy, who has better accuracy than everyone else because he's presumably using a mouse to aim.

Micmu

Magister
Volourn, and no one else.
As a Minsc throwback. Or maybe some annoying kobold or goblin like that Deekin.

Stinger

Arcane
The combatfag / Minmaxer, who is wearing a crazy mishmash of equipment that makes him look ridiculous but also gives him the most bonuses

Yes! That sounds perfect. We can merge a few the archetypes together as well. For example 'The Skyway' and 'The shit poster' might as well be the same person.

Racism could also be a trait for one of the archetypes rather than a stand alone archetype.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The fact that not wearing a better item because of aestetic reasons is a legitimate thing to do on the Codex, and not banished like heralding gay elven sex as an evolution in RPGs as it should be, is the single-most depressing thing about the Codex.

I'm not even kidding.

Stinger

Arcane

The fact that not wearing a better item because of aestetic reasons is a legitimate thing to do on the Codex, and not banished like heralding gay elven sex as an evolution in RPGs as it should be, is the single-most depressing thing about the Codex.

I'm not even kidding.

I don't necessarily think we're insulting these archetypes, after all many of us fall into them ourselves. But still, there's something funny about an enemy who looks ridiculous because he's minmaxing and I think we should be able to laugh at ourselves as much as we laugh at everyone else.

But yeah, obviously I agree that inventory is primarily about complementing the player's build over playing dress up.

I'm not even kidding.

^proud codexer

Kaiserin

Liturgist
* Lady Sarah McArts - Sarah's NPC model and character sheet clearly identify her as a male, but she is wearing a female's outfit - and has shaved legs. She speaks with a Scottish accent and will tell you that she has "done some nude modelling", the pictures of which appeared on page 25 of "Warrior's Monthly - A magazine for men with unique tastes". She is the group's bowman (erm... bow-woman) and carries a bow.
Ya know, at first I was butthurt that I seem to be entirely out of the running on this one in spite of being one of the Warriors of Diversity, but if the inclusion of myself means that I'm going to go down as yet another entirely unoriginal and derivative version of 'omg trannies are so darned gross and silly!' then I'm finding myself increasingly relieved that I've fallen off into anonymity.

Thankfully, I suspect that Obsidian isn't going to feel comfortable about any inclusion of trannies that deals entirely in stereotypes. At least, I suspect that's the case based on MCA's rather profound reluctance to be caught using the word 'fag' as meaning anything other than a cigarette.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
* Lady Sarah McArts - Sarah's NPC model and character sheet clearly identify her as a male, but she is wearing a female's outfit - and has shaved legs. She speaks with a Scottish accent and will tell you that she has "done some nude modelling", the pictures of which appeared on page 25 of "Warrior's Monthly - A magazine for men with unique tastes". She is the group's bowman (erm... bow-woman) and carries a bow.
Ya know, at first I was butthurt that I seem to be entirely out of the running on this one in spite of being one of the Warriors of Diversity, but if the inclusion of myself means that I'm going to go down as yet another entirely unoriginal and derivative version of 'omg trannies are so darned gross and silly!' then I'm finding myself increasingly relieved that I've fallen off into anonymity.

Thankfully, I suspect that Obsidian isn't going to feel comfortable about any inclusion of trannies that deals entirely in stereotypes. At least, I suspect that's the case based on MCA's rather profound reluctance to be caught using the word 'fag' as meaning anything other than a cigarette.
Actually Lady Sarah McArts has nothing to do with you at all. There is more than one tranny here.
- McArts
- Speaks with a Scottish accent.
- Pictures on page 25.

None of those things has anything to do with you. :smug:

I also fail to see how they're not true. Although I was going to say Lady Sarah would be the Martial Arts expert, but we already had a lot of melee characters. Although I suppose you could go for a whole melee team.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
No shit Sherlock, THUS MY COMMENT ON A SENSE OF RELIEF OVER MY EXCLUSION!

This is reminding me of how you seemed to think it was genuinely witty to ask what I am doing here when I commented that I thought this website was for men.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
No shit Sherlock, THUS MY COMMENT ON A SENSE OF RELIEF OVER MY EXCLUSION!
Kaiser Sarah von Arts: The Kaiser's NPC model and character sheet clearly identify her as a male, however she is wearing a dress - the player will also notice that she also has smooth shaved legs. The Kaiser speaks with a Scottish accent and will tell you that she is an ardent player of the Harpsichord, which lead to her being called "The Harpsichord Kaiserin", a title bestowed upon her by the music institute at which she learned. In her inventory you will find copies of Harpsichord sheet music - a hand-written note scribbled on one of the music sheets proclaims "this music has been written for men". Despite her music tastes though, it was her desire to pursue her career as a professional model that resulted in her joining the group. She is currently on her way to a town not far from here in response to a job notice by "Persona Haud" - a gentlemen who is looking for models for a photo shoot designed to advertise his "chests of fertiliser" which he sells. If asked, she will tell you of some of her previous modelling, some of which included a nude photo shoot that appeared on page 25 of "Warrior's Monthly - A magazine for men with unique tastes". Sadly, it was this particular photo-shoot which lead to her exploring job opportunities outside of her home town. One of her "comrades" exposed the photo's to her partner Penny, which lead to them splitting over a disagreement about her career choice. Her weapon is a bow.

This is reminding me of how you seemed to think it was genuinely witty to ask what I am doing here when I commented that I thought this website was for men.
Yes. If you self-identify as a female, what are you doing in the men's room?

I find this very confusing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'm not even kidding.

^proud codexer

I know you're just trying to get my goat lovely CK, but the fact of the matter is that just because the art designers fucked up when they made the costume you're going to run around in, there is zero reason to take off that helmet if it give the bonuses you want/need. So yes, that orc makes a ton more sense than the alternative in a neat set armor that is strictly worse. One is only visual. The other has actual impact.

Explain to me how a place that supposedly gives little to no creedence to the quality or date of their graphics can give a fuck as to the fact that their shorts of doom are pink?

I, for one, will wear whatever shorts has the greatest effect in the game. Anything else is the worst kind of larping, the directly-made-up-nothing-in-the-game-supports-it kind of larping
- no better than pretending to cook food and have a wife in Oblivion.

I'm not even kidding.
we should be able to laugh at ourselves

Obviously. My comment wasn't a "don't do this", it was a side-note since it made me think of the above.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The archetypes seems like a good idea and avoids the ego problem, but I fear they would need to be really exaggerated to work, and end appearing a bit forced and out of place. You would probably need to walk a fine line between "this group looks like any other group of archetypes in any RPG, the warrior, the diplomat,...", and the "lol, joke party full of ridiculous people".

The thing is a "place" kind of reward could have been better to express the codex, but this is a "bunch of characters" reward, so specific people fit better and add personality. So if we finally go the archetypes way, I think the characters will need some specific people references anyway, in the form of totems, weapons and clothes, just to give them some depth. We can cram a lot of people in the descriptions that way, a brooch in the shape of a bee, a sword named Vol's Honour, whatever...

Also, Abraxas I love your concepts. No matter what happens with the end result, having The Cleaver with his baby doll would be something we all can appreciate I hope.
:salute:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Without knowing the actual systems and mechanics I'll put them in D&D terms. I'd stay serious about the whole affair and focus on building a difficult encounter instead of coming up with too many stupid codex references.

snip.

I like this a lot, but I suggest watching out with over-powerful items because we would not want to have them falling in player hands. (always considered un-lootable items a shitty way out). Also some references can be toned down a bit more, I'm talking about "hivemind" and "ban hammer". The Horrors banter should rather be prosperian in nature.

Also, Abraxas I love your concepts. No matter what happens with the end result, having The Cleaver with his baby doll would be something we all can appreciate I hope.
I agree with some of your points, but this was a first draft. Mainly because the story-fags were thinking up backstories that the players would never get to know about instead of coming up with an actual encounter...

Some more/changed stuff:
The Lord is only partly of this world (cannot attack physically and physical attacks have a 50% chance of simply passing through). His items can be looted, but after 2 ingame hours they disappear. The player gets the notice "Without the will of the Lord to bind them to this dimension the A'ad-Min and the Staff of Time fade to were they came from." :P
I think the Ban-Hammer is perfectly fine as is. I don't like the Hivemind, yet, either. But perhaps it could be changed. Mixture of Insect Plague and skull rats? Dunno.
I have more ideas about roles and synergies, but whithout knowing the actual game-mechanics it'd be moot to list them.

I know you're just trying to get my goat lovely CK, but the fact of the matter is that just because the art designers fucked up when they made the costume you're going to run around in, there is zero reason to take off that helmet if it give the bonuses you want/need. So yes, that orc makes a ton more sense than the alternative in a neat set armor that is strictly worse. One is only visual. The other has actual impact.

Explain to me how a place that supposedly gives little to no creedence to the quality or date of their graphics can give a fuck as to the fact that their shorts of doom are pink?

I, for one, will wear whatever shorts has the greatest effect in the game. Anything else is the worst kind of larping, the directly-made-up-nothing-in-the-game-supports-it kind of larping

Just pointing out that the "will suck dick for crack stats" stance isn't really indicative of a player's elite oldschoolery, as the average wowtard also does that. But that wasn't the point anyway, the archetype was simply referencing the mondbluts who don't care about doing paladin-like things when playing a paladin, because neither they or their computers care.

edit: Not to mention atmosphere is a big point for the most loved games in this place, too (Fallout, PST, Arcanum, Bloodlines, etc). So yeah, I wouldn't wear a "+30 to everything" pink tutu while playing a game that isn't wacky self-referential comedyfest, because...well, because it's a pink tutu. My autism is not that augmented.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Just pointing out that the "will suck dick for crack stats" stance isn't really indicative of a player's elite oldschoolery, as the average wowtard also does that. But that wasn't the point anyway, the archetype was simply referencing the mondbluts who don't care about doing paladin-like things when playing a paladin, because neither they or their computers care.

As I said, it was a side-note. And there is a difference between larping a bit, getting into the game, letting it pull you along, and then refusing to put a had on 'cause it looks funny.

Refusing to use a certain piece of equipment because "my character doesn't like it" is larping. Refusing to wear it because YOU, the player, doesn't like it is just making a choice based on personal preference. I control the excel spreadsheet, not the other way around.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Refusing to use a certain piece of equipment because "my character doesn't like it" is larping. Refusing to wear it because YOU, the player, doesn't like it is just making a choice based on personal preference. I control the excel spreadsheet, not the other way around.

wat

That's bullshit. Firstly because of the obvious fallacy inherent in the fact that many Oblivion-fags like larping themselves. Larping is inserting something into the game mechanics that isn't there. It has nothing to do with playing someone else than yourself. RPGs are suppose to invoke that notion, not shy away from it. The reason larping is connected with what you say is that usually sand-box RPGs like Oblivion is where people invent their own fantasy-mechanics to larp their character - but that doesn't change that it's the invention of the mechanics, not the character, that constitutes larping.

Secondly, because you might control the spreadsheet, but if you make a deliberately bad decision, that you know to bad, for the sake of something that has no relevance to the game at all (mainly aesthetics), it sure as fuck constitutes larping.

Then you might control the spreadsheet, but you might as well be playing with doll-house.

Except that refusing to wear the pink shorts because I don't like it has nothing to do with pretending about game mechanics, I just don't like the damn pink shorts. Same for deliberately making bad decisions. Maybe dual wielding greatswords is the optimal choice for my gnome alchemist, but I think it looks stupid and won't do it.

Larping isn't a catch-all term for "I don't like how you play".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom