Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Portal 2 length

Portal 2 is

• way too short

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a bit too short

• just right

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • a bit too long

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • way too long

• any length is too long

• haven't finished it yet

• a turd and I have no intention of playing it, ever

• Total voters

baronjohn

Cipher
So for those of you that've finished Portal 2, how did you find the length of it?

Personally I think it's way too long. Also is that voice actor the comic relief from shawn of the dead? Jesus fuck is he annoying. HEY VALVE IT'S FUNNY IF HE'S GOT 10 WITTY LINES IN A FILM, IT'S NOT FUN TO LISTEN TO HIM FOR HOURS AND HOURS.

I was noclipping through the last levels but even noclipping got so fucking boring I had to come here and vent. I am only finishing this game because it's made by those overrated cocksuckers at Valve so it's bound to be part of the gaming zeitgeist and it's just not proper to skip it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
When an eight hour single player game is 'too long' then you know there's trouble in the industry. Then again, this is a baronjohn thread.

pocahaunted

Arcane
In before rabid fanboys moaning about how Portal is the greatest and most intelligent franchise in existence.

Watched some tard play it on livestream and it was a dreadfully boring game, just like the first one, I also agree that the voice overs are damn annoying and uninspired.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
pocahaunted said:
In before rabid fanboys moaning about how Portal is the greatest and most intelligent franchise in existence.

You won't find them here -- check out GoG or Destructoid, though, for a good laugh.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Too short as well as too easy, but enjoyable nonetheless. Certainly not worth a full retail price considering the replay value is negligible.

J.K. Simmons was easily the best voice actor - too bad you only get to hear him in the latter part of the game. That british wanker OTOH was just annoying.

Too short as well as too easy
Thanks. Now I know it's not worth to even demo it. First one wasn't bad only because it had cool gimmick that was fun for a while. Otherwise it was short, boring and stupidly easy. Looks like same applies to this one only this time cool gimmick already got old.

Exmit

Scholar
Finished portal 1 without thinking at all, i just mash portals at random things.

I'm halfway through portal 2 with same tactic.

Hell, that's how i've become a kodex bloodbowl champ also. I move randomly my guys and get lucky.

Also, it is clear that Portal 2 is a fast money grab, before Half life episode 3 which is long in development.
I think it's good actualy, insteading of releasing half assed episode 3, they release a small game like portal 2 , get money and can go back to bring ep 3.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Gameplay in the original Portal was extremely shallow. Fortunately the game devs seemed to realize this and decided to make a very short game instead of adding fucktons of filler like most studios do.

That being said, I strongly doubt that this new game is gonna have enough depth to stay enjoyable for more than an hour or two.

empi

Augur
Just finished portal 2. Again they didn't make me think, all the puzzles were pretty obvious, the humour felt forced, game got boring slowly. Valve made me pissed off before i even started thanks to buying fucking hats. I personally didn't mind Steven Merchants, but i'm a fan of the Office. Oh, and the song at the end was shite.

Tbh, portal would've best been left as a pretty cool quirky game that was a lot of fun to play. By trying to make a full game out of it, they failed in making the gameplay deeper. Overall, glad i played the coop at my mates house over the last two days, and that i didn't buy it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll extend it with $5/level DLC.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Metro said:

Nah, cutting content from the game and selling it to their customers a level at a time is Biowares schtick.

Valve just sells hats.

Multi-headed Cow

Ulminati said:
Metro said:

Nah, cutting content from the game and selling it to their customers a level at a time is Biowares schtick.

Valve just sells hats.
Which even though it kinda annoys me I much prefer it. Hatbuyers can fund more content for me all they want. :thumbsup:

Drakron

Arcane
Well one of my YouTube subscriptions had completed it in 19 parts, being generous and saying each part was 15 minutes (and they sure as hell were not) that means 285 minutes, about 5 hours I would guess (they did edited it so there were not many "dur dur how do I progress?" moments).

So I would say if you are not a complete idiot you should not clock it at 10 hours, about 6-8 hours doing it the first time, certainly longer that Homefront.

Jezal_k23

How about we don't forget about the coop campaign, which is I suppose just about as long as SP.

I liked it better than SP to be honest :S

And the game was fine. I actually liked the story n shit.
:thumbsup:

taviow said:
How about we don't forget about the coop campaign

A lot pf people here never pay for games so they don't take multiplayer aspect into account when bitching. They probably wouldn't want to anyway, nothing gets in the way of their glorious whining.

baronjohn

Cipher
Secretninja said:
No, but your opinion holds no worth to anyone.
So I have to buy shitty games for my opinion of their shittiness to count?

ROOFLES MORAN

Peter

Arcane
The thing with the Portal games is that they shouldn't be long or they get too boring. Portal 2, while fun, was already pushing it at 7 hours. If the game were cheaper, I'd be completely satisfied with it.

Also, I've only played a little bit of co-op, but it seems to be much better than SP from a gameplay standpoint. The puzzles are more challenging, and trying to figure them out and coordinate with another player is great fun. Reminds me of the co-op in the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, to an extent. hopefully, I can get my money's worth here.

Btw, I'm still pissed about Valve getting J.K. Simmons, one of the coolest actors out there, and completely underusing him.

Deleted member 7219

I thought it was just the right length, actually. Probably a tiny bit too long. Problem with Portal is, it is a single concept game. At least in Half-Life 2 you had different kinds of gameplay, which is why (for me) it was a really fun 15 hour plus game. But in Portal all you do is solve puzzles. There's some great dialogue to spice it up, but you're still just going room to room solving things.

People who bitch and moan about it not being longer have a strange concept of fun in a video game. If you think it is fun to just keeping doing the same old shite over and over, with no ending in sight, then sure. Personally, I found the ending sections tedious, and I couldn't wait to end it all.

I must have completed it in about eight hours, which is about twice the time I took to complete Modern Warfare 2. And the writing in Portal 2 is about a million times better than in that game. Also, the song at the end is great, what were you expecting? Heavy metal?

Achilles

Arcane
Apparently everything is shit this days. Skyway wins, flawless victory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom