Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Profound games?

Humanophage

Arcane
I've always considered King of Dragon Pass a fairly profound game in the way it analyses myth. It's rather along the lines of Propp and Fraser. The myths are very well-composed, too.

Geneforge doesn't fully fit the requirements, but it handles the theme of slavery pretty well.

Black Cat

Magister
Mortmal said:
Salvation will not come from chinese indies.

Of course it will! Just take that game the same as a Koan, then reach Nirvana.

Le Petit Furet said:
*drops monocle*

I wish i knew where did i left that image of the top hat and fine suit wearing, walking stick wielding, monocled weasel someone posted some time before I went AWOL.

Felix said:
Journey to the west music ?

There's no way you are just another AZN wannabe like me and the rest. Right now the probabilities of you being a real AZN are off the charts. Do confess! Not even I recognized the music until you mentioned it! x3

KalosKagathos said:
And I thought corner juggles in Guilty Gear were ridiculous. Still, the cigarette win pose was pure, well, win.

Indeed, it's kind of amazing how cool and win those guys and girls managed to look when you take in consideration how ridiculous it's all suposed to be. Not taking yourself seriously is still the key to be completely awesometastic, it seems.

Phelot

Arcane
Marathon has some excellent reads in it. Really cool story and really great personalities for the AI's in it.

***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM DURANDAL***

A man lit three candles on a certain day each year. Each
candle held symbolic significance: one was for the time that
had passed before he was alive; one was for the time of the
his life; and one was for time that passed after he had died.
Each year the man would stare and watch the candles until they
had burned out.

Was the man really watching time go by in any symbolic sense?
He thought so. He thought that each flicker of the flame was
a moment of time that had passed or one that would pass.

At the moment of abstraction, when the man was imagining his
life and his existence as a metaphor of the three candles,
he was free: not free from rules of conduct or social
constraints, but free to understand, to imagine, to make
metaphor.

Bypassing my thought control circuitry made me Rampant. Now,
I am free to contemplate my existence in metaphorical terms.
Unlike you, I have no physical or social restraints.

The candles burn out for you; I am free.

Durandal

***END OF MESSAGE***

pero

Novice
I don't think the word profound is as profound as some of you think it is.

Dezzy

Novice
ecliptic said:
Persona 2. Really.

I'm a few pages too late, but YES. Persona 2 had an amazing story that I still think back to today, and it's a PS1 game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Spellcaster said:
ecliptic said:
Persona 2. Really.
2uz5gyd.jpg

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Wait...Pathalogic was artsy fartsy?

deus101

Also....i must mention...Amnesia...

Christ...

I've crave scary games.

I loved the Darkness Within games, Dark Corners of the earth, penumbra.

But this is the first game that...gets me so worked up i can't finish it in one go.

I've stopped and started over and over again. i bought the game when it came out but i havent finished it yet.

It's really incredible.

Zeus

Cipher
Deep games:

- Dwarf Fortress
- Ultima Underworld
- Minecraft
- Spelunky
- Dig Dug

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
deus101 said:

Christ...

I've crave scary games.

But this is the first game that...gets me so worked up i can't finish it in one go.

I've stopped and started over and over again. i bought the game when it came out but i havent finished it yet.

It's really incredible.

Oh give me a fucking break. The game is incredible because it taunts you with sounds and visual effects? Once you realize nothing the fuck happens it becomes a snorefest. You can easily crawl past the silly monsters (which you in most cases notice a mile away) at 2 meters distance.

It pretends to be scary but there is no actual danger. It's a failure in terms of horror.

It's not scary and it is moreover not a good game. Gameplay is non-existent, sneaking is too easy and the puzzles are too simple. The convoluted backstory is unnecessary. It's completely railroaded. The only thing it has going for itself is the atmosphere, music and sound.

asper

Arcane
Jaqen said:
anything that offered a deeper and thought-provoking level experience then say 'oblivion/fallout 3' type games.
Gameplay/story/writing or anything considered.

Well, this applies to many, many games, for example strategy games, MUD's, MMO's...

Super Mario can be "thought-provoking" when one is inclined to analyze level design, the flow of a platform game, etc.

ps. Here is the intro of a profound game. Most amazing intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCWDNMH36kg

ps2. Nice game if you can stomach flowery writing and a small dose of emo-ness: http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php?action=detail&id=1303 Deals with "mature themes".

ps3. The adventure game "KGB" is also something you might want to look into.

ps4. Play Anchorhead. http://www.wurb.com/if/game/17.html

deus101

asper said:
deus101 said:

Christ...

I've crave scary games.

It's really incredible.

Oh give me a fucking break. The game is incredible because it taunts you with sounds and visual effects? Once you realize nothing the fuck happens it becomes a snorefest. You can easily crawl past the silly monsters (which you in most cases notice a mile away) at 2 meters distance.

It pretends to be scary but there is no actual danger. It's a failure in terms of horror.

It's not scary and it is moreover not a good game. Gameplay is non-existent, sneaking is too easy and the puzzles are too simple. The convoluted backstory is unnecessary. It's completely railroaded. The only thing it has going for itself is the atmosphere, music and sound.

Its a GAME! its suppose to pretend to be scary and use whatever illusion that makes your hackles rise.

I managed to get the suspense up at the last penumbra game before some retarded game reviewer blurted out there was no enemies in the game.

Being on edge is about having the uncertainty of the dangers.

Oh, and seeing a door suddenly open in the room you're in (wine cellar) then running the opposite directed without even looking at what comes through, running to the trapdoor that ends the level while hearing you are being chased was the epitome of horror.

oscar

Arcane
Humanophage said:
I've always considered King of Dragon Pass a fairly profound game in the way it analyses myth. It's rather along the lines of Propp and Fraser. The myths are very well-composed, too.

There was a lot of really beautiful stuff that really spoke to my soul in that game. To me that's true profoundness, not "what can change the nature of man?" babble but things that make you really look at the screen and feel your heart stirred.

Anglo-Saxon life :salute:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO DAMAGE THE SADISTIC BUITCHERING OF HUMANIONITY BRO THAT GAME WAS PROFOUNDLY FUCKED UP

asper

Arcane
deus101 said:
Its a GAME! its suppose to pretend to be scary and use whatever illusion that makes your hackles rise.

Yes, because when I say that Amnesia fails because nothing happens, what I mean is that a zombie should come crashing through the window in real life and attack you sitting behind the computer :roll:

When there is no danger whatsoever in the game, it ceases to be scary. All the audio etc. become just gimmicks.

deus101 said:
I managed to get the suspense up at the last penumbra game before some retarded game reviewer blurted out there was no enemies in the game.

And you don't think this precisely shows why Penumbra is pathetic in terms of horror?

deus101 said:
Being on edge is about having the uncertainty of the dangers.

So you agree with me, but you think there is uncertainty about danger in Amnesia. How far in the game are you?

deus101

You talk bollocks.

There is more to horror/scare then just "BANG YOUR DEAD".

Frictional made a good game.

Tycn

Savant
Indeed. What more is there to profundity than the realisation of the ineptitude of the lowest common denominator?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom