Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Project Arroyo - Fallout 2 total conversion in FO4 engine

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks promising. Let's see how its going and if it will ever reach 1.0

https://twitter.com/ArroyoProject
ESHd5H7W4AEhIFZ

laclongquan

Arcane
Arroyo or F2 remake is actually feasible with F4 engine and color themes, if only because F2 themes are much more colorful than F3 and FNV. F3 impress the need for cold blue urban ruins, while FNV stress the yellow sandy and some pink despair. But F2 can range from urban ruin The Den to futuristic urban Vault City/San Francisco, or just plain modern New Reno and Shady Sands. For variants, it also can do farming ranch Modoc, to tribal Arroyo to mining Broken Hill etc...

Of course, there's still the shiny chrome guns, but lets' hope they can figure out a general filter process to make them look rusty in near future.

Or the desparate lack of tribal costumes, but again, lets' hope for some ports from FNV and F3 costumes.

Last edited:

Saldrone

Novice
These attemps at making 3D FPS remakes to isometric turn based games are pretty antiquated to what they were originally designed

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
I wish someone would do one of these and have it so you explore the world in first person but when combat starts it zooms out to an isometric view for turn-based combat. I can see the value of walking around the Fallout world in first person perspective but it all goes to shit as soon as anything happens. Plus I'd just love to see badly-modded TB combat in the Gamebryo engine, it'd be a blast - softlocks as characters take their turns then just freeze without the turn track advancing, hit chances that just outright lie to the player, the game being incredibly picky about what constitutes "cover" so a cactus stops a rocket but a steel wall is shot through like paper. It'd be bliss.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Skyblivion
Morroblivion
Skywind
F1 on gamebryo
F2 on gamebryo
F4NV

:deadhorse:
You can make the pretty graphics all you want, but Fallout 4's character system is so stripped down, you're going to lose a Hell of a lot of the fine tuning of matching the difficulty of skills based tasks with it. This is one of the big reasons why Fallout 4 felt so cookie cutter compared to the earlier games, including Fallout 3. Instead of having a percentage range for your skills, you're basically stuck with their "perks" to check, of which there are only four levels. So, any "skill check" you might have is limited to 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%. If you want a great example on how this screws up the feeling of the system, I believe there was an attempt to add a Speech skill in to the game. It might be fun at first, but you eventually see the man behind the curtain on this on just how limiting that is compared to how SPECIAL used to be.

Jacov

Educated
Tonally inappropriate «50s music track» in the trailer? Check.

Gargaune

Magister
You can make the pretty graphics all you want, but Fallout 4's character system is so stripped down, you're going to lose a Hell of a lot of the fine tuning of matching the difficulty of skills based tasks with it. This is one of the big reasons why Fallout 4 felt so cookie cutter compared to the earlier games, including Fallout 3. Instead of having a percentage range for your skills, you're basically stuck with their "perks" to check, of which there are only four levels. So, any "skill check" you might have is limited to 0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
>have a great modding engine for what's a pretty solid-playing game
>can do any content you want with it
>remake a classic that's still perfectly playable

Why are modders like this

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Okay, upon thinking about it a bit more, is that character system they have in that actually the character system or is it just an overlay for the Fallout 4 character system? What I mean is, when you go to pick a lock, mechanically, does the game look to the skills they've implimented or do those skills sit on top of the pre-existing Fallout 4 system?

The reason I ask this is because there were a few early attempts to mimick the character system from Fallout 3 and New Vegas in Fallout 4, but they were just a layer over the actual character system, and as such, you were still limited to the 0%/25%/50%/75%/100% thing. Your screen tells you that you have 33% in a skill, but since it sits on top of the Fallout 4 perk system, you just have one level of that perk, which is 25%. Any points between 25% and 49% will yield the same result until you hit 50%. In other words, it's like I originally said and the system itself it mostly cosmetic when it comes to the game itself.

I don't know either way, but I am curious about it.

ADL

Prophet
Be thankful this is just a mod and not Bethesda's attempt to culturally erase the originals with a paid 'reimagining'. Say what you will about BGS but they haven't done that yet and they've given them away during anniversaries and included them in physical box sets.

Doesn't seem like they're trying to hide the originals or replace them in any way.

Gargaune

Magister
Okay, upon thinking about it a bit more, is that character system they have in that actually the character system or is it just an overlay for the Fallout 4 character system? What I mean is, when you go to pick a lock, mechanically, does the game look to the skills they've implimented or do those skills sit on top of the pre-existing Fallout 4 system?
As far as I'm aware, Fallout 4 (and Skyrim's) tiered skill thresholds are just a gameplay design and the underlying Gamebryo engine still represents and processes those variables in the full 0-100 range. I'm not an authority, though, so take it with a grain of salt. But the F4NV team seemed pretty sure of themselves when they were claiming they'd managed to re-implement most of FNV's mechanics, including the skills system and damage threshold. Weapon condition was a bigger challenge, but I think I recall they said they got that one too.

Mind you, that's F4NV (before the project went to shit), I dunno what Project Arroyo are up to.

Kruyurk

Learned
So much effort spent to create a big pile of nothing. They should instead try to emulate the mindset of the original authors and try to be original themselves. The best art is created by people able to channel their obsession/autism in a meaningful way.

n0denz

Novice
>in the fallout 4 engine
Not interested, and I don't have the patience to wait until the heat death of the universe for the team to finish it anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom