Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS2 game suggestions?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I recommend Echo Night: Beyond for the PS2. It's an immersive adventure/survival horror game. Kind of Fatal Frame but first person and with no weapons:

I've never ever heard of this before. Nice recommendation!

Jadeite

Educated
Konami pretty much carried the PS2 on its back. Without them it wouldn't be worth buying. Metal Gear Solid 2, Suikoden III, Silent Hill II, Silent Hill III, Silent Hill IV. Namco also made Klonoa II, which is a cool platformer for the graphics and sound. Sony made Dark Cloud, which had some good ideas, graphics and sound. And Tecmo made the Fatal Frame series, which is pretty damn good and innovative. I wouldn't mess with the rest of the shit on the PS2 to be honest. I didn't even like FFX. The King's Field game might be worth it although I've never played it. The PaRappa sequel sucked, Capcom didn't put out shit worth mention, I don't even think Squaresoft did, other than FF XI, which was better on the PC of course, although it's a moot point since the game is ruined now.

Since I installed PCSX2 1.O.O (it was not easy configurating it for the better but now it's splendid) I have been having an outstanding fun. I didn't know anything about the PS2 games other than people saying "It's the best console ever with the Dreamcast". And now that the emulator is up I can only agree: I JUST STUMBLED UPON A TREASURE. Fuck the crappy PC games of nowadays, I just fell in Heaven: Fatal Frame, Ico, FF XII, DQ VIII, Shadows of the Colossus, Wizardry Lost Souls, King's Field/Eternal Ring, I just stumbled upon a treasure trove which seems never to end. Fuck PC gaming for the time being. And I feel like having only scratched the surface, holy moly.

(Now currently getting lost in FF XII, incredible game).

Through this emulator, I seem to have reconnected with what was great for me with video games.
I'm reading through your submissions but I think that I already have my hands full. What a great console!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm playing Tales of the Abyss, first time with any game of the series. Great storyfag game, characters are interesting and the art is fantastic, it really stands out with PCSX2 on 4x native resolution:

pQ9yvh.jpg

jZirih.jpg

6bRNNh.jpg

(Now currently getting lost in FF XII, incredible game).
FF XII has very weak characters (except Basch and Balthier), and a forgettable story, but the gameplay is IMHO the best in the series.

I know Felipepe, I hated Vaan at first but then he grew on me. The twists in the story are also a bit bland: I was sure that Amalia was the pretended suicided princess by a mile. But then the story is still quite interesting nevertheless and the gameplay is FUN: I love the weird RT gambit mish mash system and the fact that you can see the foes without stumbling upon them in a random manner. And the art design is sideral. And god knows that I didn't like the FF on PS1 except for IX. People say that X is better than XII. Is it true or is it another snubbish rant?

What I really like also is that money is scarce and that you have a lot of things to buy. I also love the Tactic Ogres/FFT intrigue, it's really good even in its kitschy incarnation, it's a bit similar to me as the Game of Thrones intrigue in a more Shibuya fashion: royal families kicking the shit out of each other. (Old stories of the Borgias and of the Medicis but with less sex). And I love the rabbit girl, she's cool (really, it sounds like I'm trolling but I'm not).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Depends on what you want from the series. FFX is probably the one, if not the best "classic FF", it makes the most of the old system, while FF XII evolves the series with the combat & random encouter changes. Personally, I like both a lot, but I'm glad I played older FFs at release, for I really think the "random encounter every 5 steps" system has aged horribly in the last decade, and I simply don't have the time or will for them anymore...

If X still relies on invisible random encounters, I'm not sure that I'll muster the will to go through. I'll stick to DQ VIII which seems like a berkeleyian ideal of the old jRPG that aknowledges the conventions. But then, since I discovered all these games, I'm not sure that I'll spend a lot of time on jRPGs, King's Field, Wizardry or Ico appeal a lot more to me. I'm just astounded by the quality of the games. I'm pretty sure that there are also incredible underdogs such as Echo Night 2 (loved the PS1 one).

I'll also try Nocturne, everybody seems to agree on the fact that it's the best PS2 game of them all.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I hear the Berserk PS2 game is great, but it was never translated from wapanese. It closely follows the Millennium Falcon arc from the manga.
Aparently it goes even beyond, at least the video clearly shows moments from the whole saga (except his childhood).

Also, lol at how the manga is still pretty much at the same point it was when this PS2 game was made... :roll:

I hear the Berserk PS2 game is great, but it was never translated from wapanese. It closely follows the Millennium Falcon arc from the manga.
Aparently it goes even beyond, at least the video clearly shows moments from the whole saga (except his childhood).

Also, lol at how the manga is still pretty much at the same point it was when this PS2 game was made... :roll:

For what I played of the game most of the time you are fighting filler mobs, at the beggining crappy snow monsters, FFS. But the boss fights seemed to be pretty cool. And yeah, lol at the manga's ''progress''.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Even though it's not a JRPG, there's always Project Eden for the PS2. Think of it as a third-person Resonance, to give it a point of reference.

It's also on PC. Really a nice game, especially towards the end.

just bought ps2 for 50euro , already playing okami(13euro) and summoner (2euro:smug: ). anyone know games like darksiders i could play on ps2? not trolling btw.

Vagiel

Augur
You might want to try soul reaver 2 and blood omen. They have exploration and combat along with new powers to spice things up.

I have also heard good things about akuji but I do not have first hand experience.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Berserk game is quite good.
The story spans up to the defense of the catherdal, you know when Shilke creates a barrier around it and stuff IIRC I've played it a long time a go and I know no Japanese.
It has actually some parts of the story made just for the game, like the castle where you fight your old team members.

Boss battles are nice and so are the weapons unlocking missions, it's actually cool once you get the Armor of the Berserk cause you stagger no more and run like a beast on the battlefield, very satisfacting.

If any of you are interested, I do recall there was a Berserk game on the Dreamcast maybe? I saw some firends play it but never actually tried it myself as I don't currently own a pc powerful enough to make the game justice

Fake Edit: Sword of the Berserk for DC

I especially like how in some narrow corridor your sword bounces back and forth unless you're in rage so you just cut through the stones.

roll-a-die

Magister
Sony made Dark Cloud,

Wrong: Sony funded and distributed ("Published") Dark Cloud. Level 5 (Layton, Inazuma 11, Rogue Galaxy) made it.

Actually, is Rogue Galaxy any good?
As someone who frequently returns to this game to try and maybe play it through to completion for the first time since his ps2 memory card got melted in a fire near the final boss.

Maybe. It really depends. Do you like upgrade trees? Half the fun in this game is upgrading the characters weapons and grinding for items to fill out the trees. How about cooky soft sci-fi that makes no sense? What about plot via fiat convenience? For instance, and the reason I spoil this is because it happens less that 4 hours in. When the ship breaks down after being attacked by space mantas in the middle of a nebula that you are inexplicably able to walk unprotected on the outside of the ship in. Anyway, you make an emergency landing on a planet near by. By emergency landing I mean the ship goes down in flames and only barely manages to hit the ground intact. This planet has the main material of starship fuel on it, which is what you need to get the ship off the ground to get it repaired. It's also a primative planet with no sign of even bronze age industrialization. MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE. Even more MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE, than the fact that you in the process of getting on the ship at your home planet, get attacked by sandworms straight out of dune. What follows is an epic chase where this horde of sandworms nearly kill you several times, before you are rescued by love interest 1 on a hover moped.

It plays like a mix of FF10 and Dark Cloud 2, think the gameplay of Dark Cloud 2, with the 3 man party of FF10 and the random encounters of FF10. Boss fight's were reasonably varied, and some enemies are distinct in that special tactics(like goomba stomping) are required to actually defeat them.

Keep in mind if you are playing on an emulator the game is fairly rough to emulate because it was one of the last good games to come out on PS2.

FF XII has very weak characters (except Basch and Balthier), and a forgettable story, but the gameplay is IMHO the best in the series

Make sure to play the translation of FF XII Zodiac Job System. Massively changes a lot of things for the better. The gameplay of vanilla FFXII is a shadow of JZS.

:D

I need to try this.

Ermm

Erudite
Is there a PS2 JRPG without voice acting (maybe except in few cutscenes?)? Because I fucking hate to hear saturday morning cartoon voices in my JRPG, and also because dialogue boxes >>>>>>>>>>> any voice over in JRPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom