Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PS3 hardware

Secretninja

Cipher
I don't get why they are making the new Metal Gear multiplatform. Apparently, Xbox has had very little success in Japan, and the new Metal Gear features Raiden. This means it will be more weeaboo by nature, and it would make more sense to appease the ps3 fanbois.

obediah

Erudite
Secretninja said:
I don't get why they are making the new Metal Gear multiplatform. Apparently, Xbox has had very little success in Japan, and the new Metal Gear features Raiden. This means it will be more weeaboo by nature, and it would make more sense to appease the ps3 fanbois.

Xbox has a lot of success in the US. And most consoletards care more about a games pedigree than anything else, so as soon as some Xbox websites sign off on it, all the "Metal Gear gamz are fag movies for nigger fag PS3 fanfag fags!" kids will eat it up.

Also either Sony wouldn't make a payment to Konami, or MS did make a payment to Konami.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I'm amazed MGS4 hasn't come to xbox yet, i thought for certain with ps3 losing final fantasy exclusivity that konami would have immediately announced a port.

Secretninja

Cipher
I remember reading that the huge losses of exclusive titles for the PS3 around its launch was because the then CEO couldn't justify shelling out the money to lock them down while the console didn't have any market share, due to problems with production and the 360 having a few years headstart.

Dny

Educated
From a practical standpoint it no more that the PS3 is hard to program for, than it is the PS3 is different to program for.
Oh yes it is. The PS3 having only one general purpose core means that if your code is running too slow your only option to make it run faster is to write lots of bare-hardwareish code, while you only need to make parts of your code run concurrent without changing much on a platform that has lots of general purpose cores. The xbox has three general purpose cores, gamers PC are having four nowadays, it's much easier to handle them than the Cell. To use multiple general purpose cores you only need to know how to write concurrent stuff, even scripting languages can be made to scale at least with message passing (which is how code monkey scale their webapps on server farms) but to use the other Cell cores means you mostly write to the bare hardware because of their specific instruction set, and in part, because no one bothered writing proper tooling to support higher levels of abstraction on the platform and no one will ever do because IBM dropped the line, making it a dead end. The PS3 is the first AND the *last* mainstream piece of hardware to ever make use of the Cell. It's dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom